Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Barnes TTSX

The 150s are a pleasure to shoot. Feels like a .243, and yes someone said about velocity. I am getting roughly 2850-2900 at the muzzle. I honestly thought when I posted this all people were going to say how badly I needed to shoot a .300 or .338. However, great conversation, thanks for all the feedback gents

If it's a pleasure to shoot, you will shoot more. If you shoot more, you will make better shots. I figured this out after rattling my teeth for awhile with the 300.

I think the 150's out of a 06 will kill elk all day long if you do your part.

I don't reload yet,but I had used Fed.w/Barnes 165's TSX for years til they stopped making them when Barnes went to Rem. They shoot incredably well in my Rem.700 -06.
I tried the 180's but not as tight of groups and an occational flyer. like 2" out from main group.
Never wanted to try the 150's.No reason to when the 165's worked so well in my rifle.
1/2" 100 yrd groups, drop an elk. Never had a Barnes NOT open perfect.30cal going in,3/4" out.
They do tend to go right through a deer and sometimes elk .Not a pig tho....lol.

I switched to Noslers w/Accubonds after I couldn't get the Feds anymore.
The Nosler AB's 165's shoot just as well in my rifle as the Barnes did. So I have lots now of those too.
I want to reload now too and will be using Barnes and their book for loads. Buddy who died had worked up a load for me that worked just as good as original Fed.s,then died 2yrs ago with all his data in his head. I got my brass back and his son is trying to figure out the code...using Barnes book til then. 165's,......TSX

Last edited:
Here's a video of what a 150 grain TTSX out of my 308 did on an elk. Fast forward to the 2 minute mark (and I apologize for the language of the guide following the shot...I think he was a bit excited with how things played out and used some words I wouldn't!). Regardless, it shows how effective the bullet is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL6FbUj41-E

Here's a pic of the bullet (I recovered both of them against the opposite hide and they both looked identical).

...double Barnes @ 80 yards. mtmuley, I think the hydrostatic/hydraulic shock was more than he could bear.

180 gr...300 WSM

Last edited:
Here's a video of what a 150 grain TTSX out of my 308 did on an elk. Fast forward to the 2 minute mark (and I apologize for the language of the guide following the shot...I think he was a bit excited with how things played out and used some words I wouldn't!). Regardless, it shows how effective the bullet is.

That's about what my bull did when I hit it with a 180 gr TTSX from my 30'06 at 200 yards. Even though I hit it in the liver, I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear.

I'm going to pick up a box of 150 gr and see how they perform at the range.

Here's a pic of the bullet (I recovered both of them against the opposite hide and they both looked identical).

WOW, Nuff said I guess. DRT Dead Right There

Here is an older TSX, when Federal Premium loaded them. 140gr 270win. 100yds into a mature TN whitetail's chest. Found it under the hide on top his hind quarter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 589
Barnes bullets

I've been reloading Barnes bullets for years. I used them in .224 all the way up to.375 calibers. I've only recovered four bullets, two out of 375 H&H from a nine foot kodiak brown bear, one out of a 375JDJ TC hand gun from a six and a half foot black bear and one out of a 7-08 from a long range caribou shot. They all retained at least 98% of their weight and they all looked like Barnes catalog pictures. They are also very accurate in my guns, even the 375 H&H shoots three shots under an inch at 100yds with the 235 gr tsx and just over an inch with the 270 gr tsx. The 7-08 shoots 110, 120, and 140 gr tsx and ttsx bullets under an inch. When I buy a new gun I look at the Barnes bullets in that caliber first for my reloads.

THANKS!!!! To all who shared their opinions and experiences with the TTSX. Much appreciated, this is why forums like this are great and insightful, it not only helps me but our hunting community as a whole. I miss the camaraderie of being in the military, but the hunting community helps fill that void a little bit. Would have been fun to have a few thousand rounds of TTSX in Afghanistan hehehehehe.

Back