Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

BANNED!!

Something tells me a ban won’t stop this guy.

The story doesn’t mention it, but did he even ever purchase a hunting license?

I knew of a guy in North Central Pa who had been caught so many times he could never have another hunting license in his life. He hunted every year till he died and poached twenty or more deer a year. I could never understand how they let him get away with it, worst part is he has his sons following in his foot steps. It’s just sad !

I get the "higher fines" or "more jail time" argument, but never understood the argument that banning them from hunting was a bad idea since that won't stop a poacher. Is a lifetime ban a bad thing? Beats the alternative in my opinion.
What many folks seem to forget, or don’t know/understand in the first place is that hunting or fishing during a license revocation typically kicks the violation into the felony level, or adds on other penalty enhancements.

This guy has a problem that needs treating. If it can be treated. Most of those deer any normal person would not consider worth poaching. And abandoning his truck in the woods with a poached deer in the back? No person in their right mind would do that. Like the cops won't be able to trace the truck's owner? He's just shooting stuff to shoot stuff. Can't help himself. I bet they only found the tip of the iceberg. Good to get him out of the loop. Up here he would lose his license to own guns. Which is fine. Mental people who do stuff with guns shouldn't be allowed to possess them.

I wonder why Massachusets is not part of the interstate agreement? Quite the liberal stronghold. Doesn't make sense they wouldn't be on board with antipoaching.

A lifetime ban might not change this guy or some of the other chronic poachers, some people you just aren't going to change. But, I bet if they started handing out a few more lifetime bans, it would definitely get the attention of anybody who has ever considered taking up the occupation.

What many folks seem to forget, or don’t know/understand in the first place is that hunting or fishing during a license revocation typically kicks the violation into the felony level, or adds on other penalty enhancements.
I figured the fines were higher but did not realize the felony deal. Changes the perspective.

Yup.

Same as revoking a drivers license. While they are still physically able to drive, they get in a bunch more trouble if they get caught doing it.

Ditching the vehicle is not uncommon when poachers are chased. They simply call it in as stolen. In many states, there is no pathway to escalate poaching violations from misdemeanor offenses to felony offenses, unless they can be tied to a Federal (Lacey Act) offense. You have to understand the Criminal Court System : These poachers are standing in line to see the judge behind rapists, armed robbers, wife beaters, meth lab operators, car jackers ... which chithead is going to catch the judges wrath first ?????

I’m glad they caught him but I doubt this is his last run in with law enforcement and poaching violations

A lifetime ban might not change this guy or some of the other chronic poachers, some people you just aren't going to change. But, I bet if they started handing out a few more lifetime bans, it would definitely get the attention of anybody who has ever considered taking up the occupation.
I doubt it, thieves go to jail all the time, doesn't stop others from stealing.

I get the "higher fines" or "more jail time" argument, but never understood the argument that banning them from hunting was a bad idea since that won't stop a poacher. Is a lifetime ban a bad thing? Beats the alternative in my opinion.

Not a bad thing at all, I bet he'll be much more careful while poaching in the future though. Knowingly breaking the law didn't stop him the first time around, and my money says it won't stop him going forward.

Last edited:
So why do we have system of laws and penalties then?
It’s really not what anyone is saying about this subject . It’s just past experience that these type people will always break the law and until they get serious jail time.

I can’t see the difference between stealing a fine piece of art out of a museum or poaching a bighorn sheep . These guys steal something many of us can never touch and the penalty should be severe. Bag limits being violated is one thing and as wrong as that is it this is a whole different level of crime.

Back