MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Banks Fire

2pointslayr

So i had my chance at 6x this year get thrown out the window after the fire started last night. The area I hunt up there is now on fire anyone else hunt Weiser River unit and effected by this?

Oh yeah, just found out today that our hunting season is extended due to fires. Thats great but had planned on going the opening week but area is still closed. To many hunts to get to this fall for this stuff to happen.

I don't think they should extend any hunts. If it's closed dur to fires, thats Life. Just my thoughts.....

I am on the same page as moosie. A fire this late means less food when winter hits, and therefore harder for the animals. I would say keep the seasons normal.

Fortunatly I've never had a hunt ruined by fires. A few years ago I hunted next to a fire and the animals seemed to be more annoyed by the fire fighers and planes than the fire itself. That fire was different than a lot of the fires this year. Many of the fires this year are burning hot and fast and I don't think I would feel safe hunting within 5 miles of many of them.

Unless the temps warm back up I think the worst of the fire season is over. Hopefully nothing in the areas I'm hunting will start to burn because it sure is dry out there.

For general season tags I agree with you moosie.

I like what the F&G have done in the past better. For controlled hunts (sheep, goat and moose) the F&G gave hunters the option of keeping their tag with the same season already in print or not hunting that year and getting the same tag the following year without having to draw.

Anyone no any other spots in the weiser river units not close to banks
they wouldnt mind sharing?

BrianID, don't kid yourself on the worst of fire season is over.
Until a major wetting rain settles in, the RH comes up and stays up the fire danger is real. There is no moisture in the bursh/grass and the trees are very low.
Just a reminder on all fires from last season in the Weiser unit is closed to all motor vehicle travel, you can walk in but no pickups, atvs etc.
I totally agree no hunting unit should extent the time frame to hunt.

Need to clarify on fires.
All fires on BLM land are closed to all motorized vehicles for 2-3 years.
That includes the new fires from this season.
You can walk in and hunt but no vehicles.
If you have questions call the district closest to the area you want to hunt in.
Hope this helps those with questions to the up coming hunting seasons and fires.

From what I've garnered from the wardens and biologists I've talked to about fire closures and extended seasons, it was expressed to me that the decisions they make are based purely on where the fire was, how big it was and exactly how the loss of either thermal protection vegetation or the lack of wintering feed will impact the wildlife late in the year.
The long and short of it all depends upon how well a particular set of animals will survive throughout the winter after a large ,hot burn (on wintering grounds, etc). They can't eat dirt, and if they can't get out of the cold they're going to die anyway. I guess the thinking is: hey, bring on the hunters to cull off a certain amount of animals, so at least some of them can survive. At least that was what was explained to me concerning the fire around Tuskaroura (sp?), Nevada a couple of years ago. Tag quotas have been fairly low since then, but are slowly increasing.
The worst thing I learned about fires was the fact that smoldering, low temperture burns can be benificial to certain seeds and root systems, while blistering hot, scorching infernos are exactly like a nuclear blast, killing everything totally dead for miles. The last type kills things for years.
I won't bore anyone out there about the number of deer I've seen starve to death. Like some of us, I've seen and found quite a few. Not to go all drama queen or anything, but it appears to me that staving to death just might be one of the nastiest, most horrible ways to die imaginable for either man or beast. Maybe the F&G Departments know a thing or two about this situation, or at least know what's best for the animals involved. Yet, if extending the hunting season is only a way to perserve tag revenue, I'd scream bloody murder.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back