MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bangtail BMA - Bozeman closing?

BrowningBLR

Has anyone heard if the Bangtail BMA will continue under new ownsetship, Lazy J Ranch, since they purchased the land from RY. I think the BMA is like 5000 acres... These sections have always been open to hunting as they were first owned by National Forest then RY allowed hunting if you just asked for permission then they opened the BMA. Wonder what new ownership will do....

This BMA will not be open this fall. Boxes have been removed and I’ve confirmed with multiple sources. Not sure how access to the National forest will be affected.

Has anyone heard if the Bangtail BMA will continue under new ownsetship, Lazy J Ranch, since they purchased the land from RY. I think the BMA is like 5000 acres... These sections have always been open to hunting as they were first owned by National Forest then RY allowed hunting if you just asked for permission then they opened the BMA. Wonder what new ownership will do....
I was told by a Lazy J guy that the BM land previously owned by RY will now be leased by an outfitter for hunting. It remains to be seen whether that property will include grazing or other land usage.
It's an unfortunate access loss for Bozeman area hunters, as the Bridgers are a busy place.

wow that really blows, Grazing might be included as I have seen a lot of cattle in there while hiking that bangtail divide trail.

I was told by a Lazy J guy that the BM land previously owned by RY will now be leased by an outfitter for hunting. It remains to be seen whether that property will include grazing or other land usage.
It's an unfortunate access loss for Bozeman area hunters, as the Bridgers are a busy place.

With the approaching mountain grouse opener, this thread came to mind. This BMA indeed provided a lot of access to and absorbed a lot of local bird hunting pressure. Indeed a real loss.....

jack1.JPGjack2.JPG
The largest set of Muleys antlers on my wall came from this country pre-Block Management days. Lotsa' good memories. Yup, things do change.................................................

Last edited by a moderator:
With the approaching mountain grouse opener, this thread came to mind. This BMA indeed provided a lot of access to and absorbed a lot of local bird hunting pressure. Indeed a real loss.....
The largest set of Muleys antlers on my wall came from this country pre-Block Management days. Lotsa' good memories. Yup, things do change.................................................

Are they going to close down the biking trail as well?

I spent a lot of time hiking around that BMA, it's sad that a lot of other people wont have the same opportunity. As you said, lots of great memories...

1566827466193.png

1566827811155.png

"Are they going to close down the biking trail as well?" I don't think so, as the public trail(s) were part of the USFS Gallatin land swap agreements. The recently acquired parcels were previously included in a willing landowner Block Management type access, primarily for hunting.
But it will be interesting to watch how this evolves and how FWP reacts to the closure.

I've got family buried in those mountains that were once national forest ..until now I still was able to visit their graves ...anyone ever come across a mountain dew on top of a can of Copenhagen that's my uncle's grave ....seen the sheep herder monument just outside the BLM that's great great grandpa...at least we can still get up to elk skull spruce...that's gonna be me

Honestly I feel sacked ...I've been so busy I didn't get there last year even though its twenty minutes away..I'm glad the last time I walked through there I didn't know it was the last

"Are they going to close down the biking trail as well?" I don't think so, as the public trail(s) were part of the USFS Gallatin land swap agreements. The recently acquired parcels were previously included in a willing landowner Block Management type access, primarily for hunting.
But it will be interesting to watch how this evolves and how FWP reacts to the closure.
I'm writing a story for Outside Bozeman on the current lawsuit and looking to chat with someone who used the BMA back when it was open. Would you, or anyone you know, be willing to talk with me? I'm thinkin' coffee or over the phone. Whatever is easiest. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

Last edited:
I'm writing a story for Outside Bozeman on the current lawsuit and looking to chat with someone who used the BMA back when it was open. Would you, or anyone you know, be willing to talk with me? I'm thinkin' coffee or over the phone. Whatever is easiest. Feel free to email me at [email protected].
Corey, Mind giving some of us an elevator chat on the lawsuit?

I would say most any Gallatin Valley area grouse hunters benefited the most from the BMA prior to it's closure, and would be interested in hearing about this.

Corey, Mind giving some of us an elevator chat on the lawsuit?

I would say most any Gallatin Valley area grouse hunters benefited the most from the BMA prior to it's closure, and would be interested in hearing about this.
Well, the current status is that as of October the Brask family is suing the Forest Service on grounds that the public is trespassing by parking along the lower road. However, the Forest Service has a 60-ft. easement that was granted in 1979 that runs the entire length of the road. I'm not familiar with how the Stone Creek trail plays into it as it runs through Lazy J Ranch (Brask's) property. I do know that there was a threat of putting a locked gate on the road. Not sure how serious this was. More info in Brett French's article here.

I have hunted that area since before Plum Creek started logging it. We have been up Olson Creek hunting that area when the road was nothing more than an impassable jeep trail…

Well, the current status is that as of October the Brask family is suing the Forest Service on grounds that the public is trespassing by parking along the lower road. However, the Forest Service has a 60-ft. easement that was granted in 1979 that runs the entire length of the road. I'm not familiar with how the Stone Creek trail plays into it as it runs through Lazy J Ranch (Brask's) property. I do know that there was a threat of putting a locked gate on the road. Not sure how serious this was. More info in Brett French's article here.
A genuine welcome to HT.

What is your take on Lazy J shutting hunting down?

If you spent any time up there, you saw what idiots did to make anyone that owned that property to shut it down. Plum reek was a fantastic owner that allowed all sorts of access and hunting opportunities. Abandoned vehicles, trash and rutting up the meadow at the Olson Creek divide, made me mad, and it wasn’t even my property.

As it changed hands, it was still nice to be able to access most of the property, but getting more restrictive with each change of ownership. When the National Forest made that land swap with the sections up the Gallatin, it changed the whole dynamic of that property up Olson Creek.

Trails were put in and it became more and more restrictive for any use that historically was open to travel all the way across to Jackson Creek. Abuse was the worst, creating plenty of reasons to shut down more access. The National Forest property on top at least had open trails through the private property to get there, but it is nothing like it was in the 1970’s.

Lazy J shutting it down is just another step in the continuing closure of what was once a fantastic open space with total accessibility. It created the necessity to start to look elsewhere for what I lived for when I grouse hunted Olson Creek..

120_3024.jpg121_3102.jpgimage_7.jpeg

Last edited:
If you spent any time up there, you saw what idiots did to make anyone that owned that property to shut it down. Plum reek was a fantastic owner that allowed all sorts of access and hunting opportunities. Abandoned vehicles, trash and rutting up the meadow at the Olson Creek divide, made me mad, and it wasn’t even my property.

As it changed hands, it was still nice to be able to access most of the property, but getting more restrictive with each change of ownership. When the National Forest made that land swap with the sections up the Gallatin, it changed the whole dynamic of that property up Olson Creek.

Trails were put in and it became more and more restrictive for any use that historically was open to travel all the way across to Jackson Creek. Abuse was the worst, creating plenty of reasons to shut down more access. The National Forest property on top at least had open trails through the private property to get there, but it is nothing like it was in the 1970’s.

Lazy J shutting it down is just another step in the continuing closure of what was once a fantastic open space with total accessibility. It created the necessity to start to look elsewhere for what I lived for when I grouse hunted Olson Creek..

View attachment 311393View attachment 311394View attachment 311395
Yeah, used to hunt Olson, Stone, and the Jackson creek access to the Bangtails religiously for grouse. The amount of disrespect by locals to those areas was painful. Not all folks, but enough a-holes riding their machines wherever, dump sites of trash, etc.
Olson used to have one of the best single-track mtb trails around...way before the " Bangtail" trail. People treated that area with respect, and there was no conflict.
Another one bites the dust.
Typically I would rail on uptight, rich, landowners...but I bet they have due reason to be upset.

Yeah, used to hunt Olson, Stone, and the Jackson creek access to the Bangtails religiously for grouse. The amount of disrespect by locals to those areas was painful. Not all folks, but enough a-holes riding their machines wherever, dump sites of trash, etc.
Olson used to have one of the best single-track mtb trails around...way before the " Bangtail" trail. People treated that area with respect, and there was no conflict.
Another one bites the dust.
Typically I would rail on uptight, rich, landowners...but I bet they have due reason to be upset.
I doubt anyone hunted that area more than I did for decades. The blue grouse that thrived up there were prolific. I took my kids up there many weekends in the fall and camped out in the old Forest Service cabin at the divide, and other places after they burned it down.

When we came back to our truck at the top of Olson Creek/Skunk Creek divide after one camping trip, my truck and trailer were gone. Some clowns drinking beer and looking for fun at someone else's expense, found my spare key and ran the truck off the steepest part of the road, down into the timber. We never did find the trailer.

These are pictures of my boys when they were quite youg when we would stay in the old Forest Service cabin...

Scan_20240118 (2).jpgScan_20240118 (4).jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back