Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Baiting Elk

6speed

After hearing all the bashing on the Pigman show on Sportsman Channel I decided to see what all the complaints were about for myself. I found his show on their web site and saw that he had a Utah elk hunt episode. I figured since I have no desire to watch any of the other shows listed I would check it out. I was surprised to see he was elk hunting over a bait site. I don't need to get into the ethical issues with this but I was curious if it was even legal? I know its not in Idaho and I guess I figured it was illegal in most other states as well. Glad I watched the clip on the internet as now I don't have to waste my time setting up and then deleting the show from my DVR.

Didn't see it, don't know if it's legal, but find hunting over bait or by feeders repugnant. I don't object to hunting predators, such as coyote, over bait.

Pigman indeed.

baiting for biggame is legal, unfortunately, in UT based on a loosely worded coverage of it in

http://wildlife.utah.gov/wr/0710ethics/0710ethics.pdf

The single time I have ever felt dirty when hunting was in Texas on a ranch where we were permitted to only hunt from blinds with timed corn feeders out front--and no traipsing off after animals we might see out in the bush. It was a free hunt and did not know the rules till we arrived so sat there in that blind and when the feeder made a racket shooting out corn the deer just walked right in. They even provided the printed feeding schedule so we'd know when to be 'alert' for game. As if we might not hear the god-awful racket from the feeder 30 yards out the window. :rolleyes:Great for the guy that likes to schedule his naps and not be hampered with worrying about when an animal might randomly show up. Or maybe get drunk with time allotted to sober up before the feeder goes off.:confused::(.

That is a Texas thing and good for the guys who enjoy that sort of thing. Whatever floats your boat is great. Although I'd like to hear from guys who do that regularly about why they keep at it. Is it a fulfilling experience, in repetition?

Last edited:
So it looks like they may question if its ethical but figure because other states allow it they won't make it illegal. I would think the issues with feeding the animals would be enough but hunting over top of it is crazy. In a way it seems like it would be if WY allowed hunting on the elk refuge. I have never hunted off a feeder but I have known about it and I guess it never bothered me because I wasn't a whitetail hunter. But this just rubbed me the wrong way like burlap TP.

So it looks like they may question if its ethical but figure because other states allow it they won't make it illegal. I would think the issues with feeding the animals would be enough but hunting over top of it is crazy. In a way it seems like it would be if WY allowed hunting on the elk refuge. I have never hunted off a feeder but I have known about it and I guess it never bothered me because I wasn't a whitetail hunter. But this just rubbed me the wrong way like burlap TP.

Wyoming does allow hunting on the Elk Refuge. http://www.fws.gov/nationalelkrefuge/Documents/Press Releases/2010/12_16_10HarvestNumbers.pdf

Hi all - Pigman is actually one of our most popular shows (well, until OYOA starts in July anyway) :)

Hunting over bait is pretty common in many states for deer, elk and bear. Like high-fenced hunts, though, it is also pretty controversial. Its not illegal and we check these things before it airs...but many people don't agree with it. It ensures a successful hunt and for many, that's enough.

Appreciate the feedback!!

The single time I have ever felt dirty when hunting was in Texas on a ranch where we were permitted to only hunt from blinds with timed corn feeders out front--and no traipsing off after animals we might see out in the bush. It was a free hunt and did not know the rules till we arrived so sat there in that blind and when the feeder made a racket shooting out corn the deer just walked right in. They even provided the printed feeding schedule so we'd know when to be 'alert' for game. As if we might not hear the god-awful racket from the feeder 30 yards out the window. :rolleyes:Great for the guy that likes to schedule his naps and not be hampered with worrying about when an animal might randomly show up. Or maybe get drunk with time allotted to sober up before the feeder goes off.:confused::(.

That is a Texas thing and good for the guys who enjoy that sort of thing. Whatever floats your boat is great. Although I'd like to hear from guys who do that regularly about why they keep at it. Is it a fulfilling experience, in repetition?

I've been trying to train the deer and pigs on my property here in Texas to work to the schedule of my timed feeder for 4 years now and still haven't gotten it done. I must not be doing something right. My biggest buck I've shot so far was a 8.5 year old that scored a whopping 112". In 4 years I've shot 1 buck that came to my feeder right before the end of shooting light, I shot 1 buck on his way to the feeder and I shot 1 buck skirting through the timber around one of my food plots. That's the only deer that I've shot at in 4 years on my 160 acre property.

I do see deer at my feeders, but rarely do their visits coincide with when the feeder actually goes off. If it does, it's probably more closely related to the fact that the feeder goes off about 1/2 before sunset when they are starting to get moving more than the fact that they have figured out the schedule of the feeder.

I also plant foodplots and hunt over those and the times I see deer on the foodplots matches up with that same timeframe so maybe they think the foodplots are on a timer too? I see deer on a much more regular basis on my 13 acre winter wheat field than my feeder.

I have shot a bunch of pigs though, and probably half of those have been at a feeder. I'll be honest, I still get a rush when the pigs come running in to the feeder, I have to get my breathing under control to take the shot and the whole works.

I spend a lot more time and effort messing with feeders and food plots on my own property than I do scouting for my western hunts. When it comes down to it, I feel more confident in being able to spot and stalk a nice animal than I do in my ability to find one coming in to one of my feeders or even just stepping foot on my property.

I would prefer not to run a feeder and stick to food plots, but when there are probably 10 or 15 feeders within a 1/2 mile perimeter of my property on my neighbors land, I pretty much run them just to keep the deer somewhat interested in staying on my place.

I used to sneer at folks who ran feeders and say that it shouldn't even be called hunting, but having tried it for 4 years now I sure haven't figured out how to get mature animals to come running to the dinner bell like a lot of folks make it sound like it works with a timed feeder.

Oh well, just thought I would chime in as one of "those guys" who do bait.

Hopefully the 2 elk and the mule deer that I shot last year DIY on public land will make up for my lack of hunting ability for whitetails that I need to bait them.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you feel dirty hunting over bait. Down here it's standard practice. When you consider the animal ( wt) the terrain ( some of the thickest, thorniest stuff known to man) and the fact that the majority of people are hunting small acreage ( I would say less than 100 acres per person) you can see the logic.

Is it as fun as spot and stalk out west, hell no. But it beats the hell outta sitting on the couch watching some dumb ass tv show. At least out there we get to see some critters, feel the breeze, listen to the birds, etc, etc, etc.

Now that I've had a little time to reflect on this I figure I'll explain the reason for my disgust with the issue. To start with I'm not talking about hunting white tails that's why I posted this in the elk section. I know white tails are hunted in areas where hunting pressure and available public land dictates the methods used. I don't like the idea of feeders but I understand them. As for food plots I figure they are a way of maintaining fairly natural habitat for animals that are running out of space at an alarming rate. If you want to use some of your money to plant and maintain a natural food source in an area where animals are in need of it I say good for you.

Now back to the elk. I have more experience than I would like with the issues that derive from feeding elk. It can change their migration patterns, lower their fear of humans, and create a dependency. If there is no other option to sustain population numbers I know IDF&G does feed elk in some locations and I have no problem with that they have the research to back it up and in the areas I know of the feeding begins well after hunting season is closed. The problem I have is when feeding isn't based on the necessity to maintain heard health due to starvation and is based on the need to have an easier hunt. Then there is the issue of what happens when the guide who has been hauling hay out on his snow machine stops showing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back