Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Baiting Bill (1151) is Senate side

The health of the herd aside, baiting is not hunting. I don't have a problem with state agencies controlling ethics to keep hunting real. No drones, no spotlighting, no baiting. If it is necessary to keep game populations balanced in difficult hunting environments (e.g. bear baiting here), then okay to look the other way. I feel that is simply management culling which I admit I have done in Africa ... but NOT over bait or waterholes ... or out of vehicles. But baiting deer in North Dakota? C'mon! That environment is easily hunted without baiting. Shooting deer over bait or food plots should be banned statewide. An embarrassment that it ever was allowed in the first place.

With farms being several thousand acres now it can add up fast a couple large farms that have never been posted now will be … electronic posting allows that to be done relatively easily

It remains to be seen how many acres will be closed but the hunting landscape will change even more there is no doubt

You can make accusations, call farmers greedy, make hour own threats of retaliation through legislative bills ect…. and that will just reaffirm this response

So what will happen….bow hunters that see their access closed on private lands will turn to the 7% of lands that are public that Brock and company brag about “ethical” hunting on
Why would someone just now post their land? Because you may or may not be able to bait? That doesn't make sense.

Too funny .....my how fast it went from "iT's FoR tHE KiDs aND thE diSablEd" to those same people bragging about locking them all out now. We all knew the true colors from the start but this is too funny and just pathetic really. Imagine having to use children and disabled people as a cover in order to try and get your way 🤡

I would literally light my OIL moose tag on fire rather than have this experience
Access that has been granted ( in our area lands that have had 20 plus once in a life time moose tags filled in the last 6 years with the land owners loading them with their tractors helping locate animals and calling hunters

Or… people will just quit bow hunting … then how does that next generation get introduced??? 🤔

So those of you that think this is a “win” …. Remember this post 5-10 years from now when the threads bitching about archery draw tags and 4?year waits start showing up on these sites and people are saying they hung up their bow and are fishing more
They will sell more archery tags this year than last.

You underestimate greatly just how many people enjoy actually hunting and will have zero effect from the loss of baiting. The next generation will be more than just fine.

You maybe overestimating your knowledge of the tolerance there is in the countryside for the manner these outside national orgs try to push their policies

Honest question Brock how many members here in ND does Backcountry Hunters and Anglers have ?

Those experts at the NDGF will tell you hungarian partridge will break out of their flocks in March in ND to pair up for breeding… I can tell you this year that happened march 23-25th … all without any letters behind my name

Arrogance and ignorance often walk hand in hand Brock… you might be surprised what knowledge exists outside where you think it lies 🤔

Why would someone just now post their land? Because you may or may not be able to bait? That doesn't make sense.
we keep trying to tell people this is not just about baiting … it is about unaccountable and unresponsive govt agencies and these national orgs pushing agendas. We deal with it all the time in agriculture and people get frustrated … the NDGF under the last couple directors does not have a real positive image with most ag producers and even sportsmen

Go read the comments on Nodak Angler the states leading outdoors site about this bill

we keep trying to tell people this is not just about baiting … it is about unaccountable and unresponsive govt agencies and these national orgs pushing agendas. We deal with it all the time in agriculture and people get frustrated … the NDGF under the last couple directors does not have a real positive image with most ag producers and even sportsmen

Go read the comments on Nodak Angler the states leading outdoors site about this bill
I don’t really have a dog in this fight so I don’t have an opinion on your statements, however I think if unresponsive and unaccountable govt agencies is your target and objective to fix, this bill wasn’t a good path to accomplish your goal. You guys should come up with something that actually goes at that issue and call a spade a spade and not disguise your goals. Just my .02 which is actually not worth .02 probably

Sometimes the "we are gonna lock all you worthless motherf$$$ers out" works, sometimes it don't.
Yep it remains to be seen how this plays out ..

The state may not be considered posted as ag orgs wanted … but e posting was a compromise that arose out of the ND Lockout that closed access 3-4 years ago

And THAT was what was sought on the baiting issue was a compromise … which to this point has been tossed aside

If anyone can show where Brock and the couple hundred state members of BHA plus his other national orgs were willing at all to compromise with tens of thousands of NDans on this issue…. Please share that with me as I missed it

I don’t really have a dog in this fight so I don’t have an opinion on your statements, however I think if unresponsive and unaccountable govt agencies is your target and objective to fix, this bill wasn’t a good path to accomplish your goal. You guys should come up with something that actually goes at that issue and call a spade a spade and not disguise your goals. Just my .02 which is actually not worth .02 probably
There was talk of making the NDGF directors position an elected position which that discussion will continue … but this bill was an attempt to give the NDGF the opportunity to come to the legislature with an honest compromise

As someone involved from the beginning whos representative sponsored this bill ( on his own i had no knowledge he was) we hoped the NDGF woukd have worked through the amendment process to find a workable path forward

NDans who support reining in govt now know which legislators do not …. Most came from the eastern 1/3 where baiting is still allowed or urban centers … when those sportsmen out east find the GF don’t care about their concerns when their units are banned…. Maybe those legislators hear their concerns

Or when those sportsmen travel west or outside the urban centers where they live and realize the private lands they have had access to are closed and they hear why from the land owners and ag producers …. Maybe those legislators hear their concerns as these sportsmen speak out and changes are made and we can return to how things should be 🤔

Last edited:
we keep trying to tell people this is not just about baiting … it is about unaccountable and unresponsive govt agencies and these national orgs pushing agendas.
So instead of the gov agency having the power you want the legislators/elected officials to tell them what to do? Who by the way all of you are complaining about shutting down the bill and not listening to "the will of the people"?

Small government and all right?

Too funny .....my how fast it went from "iT's FoR tHE KiDs aND thE diSablEd" to those same people bragging about locking them all out now. We all knew the true colors from the start but this is too funny and just pathetic really. Imagine having to use children and disabled people as a cover in order to try and get your way 🤡

I would literally light my OIL moose tag on fire rather than have this experience

They will sell more archery tags this year than last.

You underestimate greatly just how many people enjoy actually hunting and will have zero effect from the loss of baiting. The next generation will be more than just fine.
Where has anyone said that kids or fisabled hunters will be locked out??

There was a number of testimonies from those persons supporting this bill

Most people that have contacted me about closing access will have conversations with those asking permission to hunt and will decide accordingly

But to assume the posted lands people may have had access to in the past might remain unchanged… might be a mistake

Many folks that have taken 40-50 plus inch bulls on these lands in our area and the elderly fella hunting alone with his dog my son and I helped fill his cow tag on my cousins land using his tele-handler to skin and quarter and bone out and load his cow for him cause it was fun and he was a great guy might think otherwise

Remember the attempt to compromise and find a path forward on the baiting issue with the NDGF has been going on for a decade … if you would rather burn your OiL tag instead of having a responsive GF … thats your choice

Last edited:
The baiting proponents are confusing "accountability" with not getting what they want.

I'll translate and summarize the sentiment to make this clear. "I didn't get what I want, so that means the GF isn't accountable because I should always get what I want....no matter how short-sighted or self serving what I want is, and no matter how it affects the public resource for future generations. If I don't get what I want, I will take my ball and go home and tell all my friends to take their ball and go home too. Then my friends and I will be a thorn in everyone's side (even if it hurts hunting in ND) until we get what we want."

Aka a temper tantrum.

Nothing says "doing it for the kids" like acting like children when you don't get what you want.

the NDGF under the last couple directors does not have a real positive image with most ag producers and even sportsmen

I find this comment to be in direct contradiction to my personal experience. The landowners, farmers and ranchers (friends and family) that I have talked with about this bill stated they don't have any issues with the NDGF Dept. Those same people also were not in support of HB1151. Did they rant and rave in opposition to match your "enthusiasm" in support for the bill? No. They just kept working and doing their thing like they always do.

Thinking Nodak Angler represents the majority opinion of outdoorsmen in the state of ND is laughable at best.

So instead of the gov agency having the power you want the legislators/elected officials to tell them what to do? Who by the way all of you are complaining about shutting down the bill and not listening to "the will of the people"?

Small government and all right?
Representative govt….accountable govt…. At every stage 75% of the testimonies were in support of the bill

The ND orgs in support had many times the membership the ND orgs in opposition had

Over 3/4 of NDans supported the right to hunt amendment ballot measure that specifically says wildlife is to be managed “ by law and regulation for the public good”

Seems like these few Senators and a govt agency might think they know better than the people of ND…. 🤔

Seems like these few Senators and a govt agency might think they know better than the people of ND…. 🤔
You want Gov agencies to be held accountable to the will of the people. So this bill would limit their power and give more power to our elected officials.

And you trust our senators/congressman to do so when they shut down this bill you are whining about had so much support.

See the hypocrisy?

The baiting proponents are confusing "accountability" with not getting what they want.

I'll translate and summarize the sentiment to make this clear. "I didn't get what I want, so that means the GF isn't accountable because I should always get what I want....no matter how short-sighted or self serving what I want is, and no matter how it affects the public resource for future generations. If I don't get what I want, I will take my ball and go home and tell all my friends to take their ball and go home too. Then my friends and I will be a thorn in everyone's side (even if it hurts hunting in ND) until we get what we want."

Aka a temper tantrum.

Nothing says "doing it for the kids" like acting like children when you don't get what you want.
Brock at every stage 75% of testimonies were in support of this bill

Over 75% of NDans supported the measure to put the right to hunt amendment into our state constitution that gives the legislature the ability to get involved as a checks and bslances in managing game for the public good

The House ( the peoples chamber) supported the bill over 78%

The same Senate that is ignoring the people voice by looking to change the term limits measure that passed with that same level of support ignored the majority of those testifying…. That is the arrogance you support as a win

Now you bad mouth those seeking to hold that ignoring of the voice of the people accountable with the one tool we have left

Do you actually have an Obama/Biden sticker on your Prius ?

Brock at every stage 75% of testimonies were in support of this bill

Over 75% of NDans supported the measure to put the right to hunt amendment into our state constitution that gives the legislature the ability to get involved as a checks and bslances in managing game for the public good

The House ( the peoples chamber) supported the bill over 78%

The same Senate that is ignoring the people voice by looking to change the term limits measure that passed with that same level of support ignored the majority of those testifying…. That is the arrogance you support as a win

Now you bad mouth those seeking to hold that ignoring of the voice of the people accountable with the one tool we have left

Do you actually have an Obama/Biden sticker on your Prius ?
I talked to multiple senators after the vote that stated their constituents were in opposition. In some cases more than 20 to 1 in opposition. A few stated it was closer to 50/50 but opposition still won out. So, maybe the "will of the people" was heard, just took some of the people a little longer to speak up.

But again, this wasn't about "the will of the people" for you folks. Nor was it about the kids or the handicapped folks. It wasn't about science, or "psuedo-science" as you folks like to call it. It was, and still is, about one thing and one thing only. An amoeba of an argument focused solely around getting what you want at any cost. No shame required.

Everyone who disagrees with you is an Obama supporter with a Prius, or their voice simply doesn't matter because *insert amoeba here*.

Take care, Gabe. Hope calving is/was going well for you guys up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back