Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bad Kitty

BigHornRam

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Police are reportedly investigating whether one or more of the young men mauled by a tiger at the San Francisco Zoo may have taunted the animal before its deadly rampage, a possibility the father of one of the victims said Thursday he hoped wasn't true.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I don't think my son would do something like taunt animals," Carlos Sousa told ABC's "Good Morning America." "It's unbelievable, but only the evidence can prove that. And right now I can't say much."

His son, Carlos Sousa Jr., 17, was one of three men attacked by a Siberian tiger around closing time on Christmas. Police shot the 300-pound animal to death after it killed Sousa and severely mauled two brothers who also were visiting the zoo.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, police found a shoe and blood in an area between the gate and the edge of the animal's 25- to 30-foot-wide moat, prompting the possibility that one of the victims dangled a leg or other body part over the edge of the moat.

Police on Thursday could not confirm the Chronicle's report to The Associated Press.

"I don't think this deserves to happen to anybody — taunting or not taunting," Carlos Sousa told ABC. "Animals should be protected from the people and the people should be protected from the animals."

Police Chief Heather Fong said Wednesday the department opened a criminal investigation to "determine if there was human involvement in the tiger getting out or if the tiger was able to get out on its own."

The zoo was to remain closed Thursday.

One zoo official insisted the tiger did not get out through an open door and must have climbed or leaped out. But Jack Hanna, former director of the Columbus Zoo, said such a leap would be an unbelievable feat and "virtually impossible."

Instead, he speculated that visitors could have been fooling around and might have taunted the animal and perhaps even helped it get out by, say, putting a board in the moat.

Ron Magill, a spokesman at the Miami Metro Zoo, said it was unlikely a zoo tiger could make such a leap, even with a running start.

"Captive tigers aren't nearly in the kind of shape that wild tigers have to be in to survive," he said. He said taunting can definitely make an animal more aggressive, but "whether it makes it more likely to get out of an exhibit is purely speculative."

The same tiger, a 4-year-old female named Tatiana, ripped the flesh off a zookeeper's arm just before Christmas a year ago while the woman was feeding the animal through the bars. A state investigation faulted the zoo, which installed better equipment at the Lion House, where the big cats are kept.

Zoo director Manuel Mollinedo said Wednesday he gave no thought to destroying Tatiana after the 2006 incident, because "the tiger was acting as a normal tiger does." As for whether Tatiana showed any warning signs before Tuesday's attack, Mollinedo said: "She seemed to be very well-adjusted into that exhibit."

It was unclear how long the tiger had been loose before it was killed. The three visitors were attacked around closing time Tuesday on the 125-acre zoo grounds. Four officers hunted down and shot the animal after police got a 911 call from a zoo employee.

The zoo has a response team that can shoot animals. But zoo officials and police described the initial moments after the escape as chaotic.

The first attack happened right outside the tiger's enclosure — Sousa died at the scene. Another was about 300 yards away, in front of the zoo cafe. The police chief said the animal was mauling one of the survivors, and when officers yelled at it to stop, it turned toward them and they opened fire.

Only then did they see the third victim, police said.

The two injured men, 19- and 23-year-old brothers from San Jose, were in stable condition Wednesday at San Francisco General Hospital. They suffered deep bites and claw wounds on their heads, necks, arms and hands, said Dr. Rochelle Dicker, a surgeon. She said they were expected to recover fully.

Sousa's parents told the AP they didn't know why their son went to the zoo Tuesday, but it should have been a fun Christmas Day activity.

"It's not a safe place for kids," said his mother, Marilza Sousa. "People go there to have a good time, not to get killed."

finding the shoe and blood in an area where you're not supposed to be isn't looking good for these boys---I've been to the SF zoo quite a few times, but not for a couple of yrs---used to take my boys to see the snow leopards feed on showshoe hares and the lions and tigers being fed ---talk about some loud roars from the tigers and lions---anyway I always wondered if one of the cats could jump that moat---I don't think it's as wide as they are stating--there's a fence and then some landscaping and then the moat--it might be 25' from the fence to the tiger's side of the moat, but I don't think it's 25' wide---It wouldn't surprise me if it's not more like 16', but 'ell I could be wrong---I may have to go check it out once they open it back up---regardless it's sad that the one boy lost his life on Christmas and that his family has to deal with it----the other two boys should be counting their blessing-----I agree it will be interesting to see what they find out, as the city is going to not want to have to payout for the lawsuits that are going to come along shortly----chris

updated info:

I haven't read it yet, but will after this post:

The wall of a moat that surrounds the San Francisco Zoo's tiger enclosure is far shorter than officials thought and also below national standards, authorities said today.
Zoo officials have gone back and forth on the grotto's measurements since a 350-pound tiger escaped on Christmas Day, killing 17-year-old Carlos Sousa Jr. and seriously injuring two of his friends. The survivors were identified by relatives and public records as brothers Paul Dhaliwal, 19, and Kulbir Dhaliwal, 23. The three young men were from San Jose.
Earlier this week, zoo officials said the moat's wall was at least 20 feet tall. Today, they said it was little over 12 feet. Since the investigation began Tuesday, officials have given at least five different measurements for the enclosure, which is surrounded by a moat, two walls on either side of the moat, a small patch of grass and then another waist-high fence. Experts say that the depth of the moat and height of the walls could have a large impact on the animal's ability to escape the enclosure.
"Today we went out and measured the moat ourselves," said zoo Director Manuel Mollinedo. The tiger "had to have jumped (out but) how she jumped that high is beyond me."
In measuring the area, Mollinedo said, his staff found that contrary to information they had on file in their office, the moat wall was 12 1/2 feet high - about four feet lower than is recommended as a national standard by cat experts.
They also found that, contrary to numbers they had on file, the moat was 33 feet wide, which is sufficient to meet national standards.
The confusion over the grotto's size is only the latest headache for investigators looking into the attack, which happened shortly after the zoo's 5 p.m. closing time. The zoo has no video cameras that watch over the animals, making it difficult to piece together how Tatiana, a Siberian tiger, escaped. And sources close to the investigation tell The Chronicle that the surviving brothers have not been entirely forthcoming during interviews with police.
Mollinedo said the grotto, built in 1940, was inspected several years ago by officials from the American Zoological Association and "they raised no concerns about the wall." The zoo is asking the association to bring in experts to assess the habitat and the remaining large cats, which are currently being kept in cages. Mollinedo said the zoo is looking at installing surveillance cameras, electrical hot wires around enclosure and restructuring the walls.
Zoo officials and police authorities today backed off earlier statements to The Chronicle that the victims may have dangled a limb over the animal's enclosure, helping the big cat escape. But they would not rule it out.
An examination of the tiger's body also revealed a significant amount of concrete in its back paws, according to a source close to the investigation. That may indicate the tiger used its back claws to help push it up the grotto wall.
Reached at their San Jose home Thursday, relatives of the two injured boys declined to talk to the media.
"We have no comment at this time," said the boys' 25-year-old brother, Sunny Dhaliwal.
Family members said they wanted to speak to the two men and hospital staff before talking publicly about the incident.
Carlos Sousa Sr. said Thursday that his son and Paul Dhaliwal were good friends. They shared a love of music, especially hip hop, and wanted to write music professionally. He said he didn't know Wednesday that his son had visited the zoo with the brothers.
Doctors at San Francisco General Hospital said the brothers are recovering but will have to remain hospitalized for several more days. Chief of Surgery Dr. William Schecter said he was optimistic they would make a full recovery, although there still is a risk of infection.
"They should be able to walk out of here (when they are released)," he said.
On Wednesday, sources had said that authorities found a shoe and blood on the grass inside the tiger enclosure; today, Police Chief Heather Fong said there was no shoe found in the grotto. A shoe was discovered near where the third victim was attacked, she said, and a shoeprint was also found on the railing of the waist-high fence surrounding the grotto.
"We have all three pairs of shoes from the victims, and now we will see if any of them matches the footprint (on the fence)," she said.
Police have consistently downplayed the idea that the victims may have taunted the tiger, even though Mollinedo told The Chronicle on Wednesday that it was likely that the animal was provoked, noting that "a couple of feet dangling over the edge could possibly have done it." Today, he denied making that statement.
Meanwhile, two inspectors from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which oversees zoos, arrived today to begin a separate investigation.
The attack unfolded around twilight on Christmas.
Three paramedics were the first to find Sousa's body after someone called 911. The boy was lying near the grotto with a wide gash across his neck; the emergency workers, along with an ambulance driver, were told of additional victims outside the Terrace Cafe restaurant, about 300 yards east. When they arrived, they found the tiger standing over one of the brothers.
The zoo does not have security cameras in the area where big cats are housed; it also does not have emergency lights, creating a confusing situation for emergency responders as the horrific scene unfolded at dusk. For a time, authorities feared as many as three tigers were loose and they searched the park four times between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, thinking there could be more victims.
Today, Police Chief Heather Fong said police officers received the 911 call at 5:07 p.m., left at 5:08 p.m. and killed the tiger 19 minutes later.
Fong said two plainclothes officers arrived at the park in a police car and went to the grotto, where they saw the deceased victim first. The officers were then were directed toward the cafe.
"They saw the victim on the ground. Blood was on the victim's face. They heard him saying, 'Help me, help me,'" Fong said. "They saw the tiger sitting there, then it turned and started attacking the victim again."
At that time, she said, a patrol car carrying two uniformed officers pulled up, and the officers got out of the vehicle and attempted to distract the animal by shining their lights on the cat. The animal stopped attacking the man and began to move toward the plainclothes officers; all four officers at that point opened fire with their .40-caliber handguns, striking the tiger an unknown number of times.
"They didn't know where the tiger was going - they knew there had been one attack (and) a deceased person," Fong said.
Authorities now believe that the tiger escaped the grotto and first attacked one of the brothers. The men yelled, Fong said, and the tiger released the man, then grabbed ahold of Sousa. At that time, she said, the brothers ran toward the cafe, where they had eaten earlier. She said the men ran in that direction because they believed there would be people in the area.
The tiger caught up to the men and attacked the second brother outside the cafe.
Today, Fong praised police for their actions, saying the officers were out of their element and not trained to handle large wild animals.
Fire Lt. Ken Smith said the paramedics were just doing their job.
"The only thing on our mind is getting the patient out of there," he said. "We go in harm's way all the time, we're in the line of fire in a lot of shootings and stabbings, so this is just what we do."
The zoo remains shuttered today and will be closed Friday, as police continue to investigate. Mollinedo said officials would not reopen the facility until it is deemed safe.
Jason McCormack, who manages a photo booth across from the Terrace Cafe at the zoo, arrived at the facility today hoping to do some payroll paperwork. McCormack, who closed the booth around 4 p.m. on Christmas and left about 30 minutes before the attack, said he was frustrated.
"I've got employees that have to get paid tomorrow and I can't get in to do the paperwork for payroll," he said. "It's very hush-hush in there."
Zoo officials have tried to keep a tight lid on information since the attack, instructing employees not to talk to the press or the public. The atmosphere was tense, with security officials intervening when any employees appeared as if they were going to speak out.
McCormack said he was glad he let his staff leave early, and is doubtful that anyone would try to taunt the large cats.
"I had my guys close an hour early, it's a good thing because they would have been freaked out if they would have seen the whole thing," he said. "It's pitch black around here by 5 p.m. I would have been scared to be anywhere near that cage the way they're describing it.
"The whole situation is just very sad, very strange," he added.

they're saying that moat is 33' wide---man I don't think it's that wide, but like I said it's been awhile since I've been there, so I must be wrong, but I still may go and check it out---but it's only 12.5 feet high, which is interesting---chris

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back