PEAX Equipment

Backpacking fishing rods and tactics question

teej89

On some of my scouting trips this summer I'm looking at doing some fishing up in the alpine lakes.

My first question is, do you suggest a spinning rod or fly rod and why? If I go spinner I'll need to buy a packable one as I only have 6' ultralites. If I go fly rods I have a 6ft and 8ft that packs in half. The 6ft is a 6wt rod(for tiny mountain trout back in PA) and I also have an 8ft 8wt rod.

Would either flyrod work for casting from shore for trout?

Lastly if a spinning rod is suggested, I'd be interested in a low budget packable spinning rod if you have any suggestions.

Alpine, above altitude where trees are short, if trees, fly rod works great. Outside alpine where pines line the shore, spin works great unless you're a fantastic steeple cast-er.

The secret... Spin works great for both though don't tell that to the fly fishing elitists. Figure you're not one since you've openly admitted such heresy as to even consider a spin rod for alpine lakes. 😂 All humor, there's no such thing as fly fishing elitists... 😉

Whatever weight / backpack length you want to carry, will do just fine.

Fly fishings pretty awesome... Tenkara fly fishing ---> It's a bit more restrictive though fantastic for backcountry fly fishing. If you're interested, it's a modern engineered "enhancement" of ancient Japanese original fly fishing. Packing is absolutely zilch.

I have and use both types of rods while fishing in the backcountry. For fly fishing, I have a three piece 3wt. and a four piece 4 wt. Your 6 wt. will be fine, and the heavier line will make roll casts easier in windy conditions. Your 8 wt. is best suited for bass or larger fish, where large flies/streamers are the norm. For spinning rods, I have a couple 5 to 6 foot, two piece rods that I use for fishing small back country creeks where casting a fly rod is near impossible. These creeks are in narrow canyons and have brush on both sides making even a roll cast difficult. As to which type will work, they both will. It more depends on your preference and style. Styes suggestion of Tenkara is also a great alternative for small streams and lakes, but can be a bit frustrating on lakes that have shallow shorelines or where most of the fish are located further from shore as your casting distance is limited to the length of rod and line.

Last edited:
Years ago when I did a lot of back packing for trout I would sometimes carry a 7' 6 weight 4 piece Fenwick fly rod. I would also carry an ultra light spinning reel. I found the fly rod worked well enough to cast Meps and Panther Martins with the spinning reel. Of course I also took a fly reel. Try the spinning reel on your fly rod in your yard and see if it works well enough to take that combo. For spinning only trips I took a 5' 2 piece rod and had a great time but a 5' spinning rod doesn't cast a fly very well.

I'm hardly a fly fishing connoisseur, but I mostly use a little Tenkara rod for backcountry fishing. It's fun, simple, and weighs nothing. Probably different for those who are actually good at flyfishing, but if I wanted to slay alpine lake fish I'd be taking a spin rig myself.

Alpine, above altitude where trees are short, if trees, fly rod works great. Outside alpine where pines line the shore, spin works great unless you're a fantastic steeple cast-er.

The secret... Spin works great for both though don't tell that to the fly fishing elitists. Figure you're not one since you've openly admitted such heresy as to even consider a spin rod for alpine lakes. 😂 All humor, there's no such thing as fly fishing elitists... 😉

Whatever weight / backpack length you want to carry, will do just fine.

Fly fishings pretty awesome... Tenkara fly fishing ---> It's a bit more restrictive though fantastic for backcountry fly fishing. If you're interested, it's a modern engineered "enhancement" of ancient Japanese original fly fishing. Packing is absolutely zilch.

This is awesome!

So the reel goes around the rod above the grip, where does the line come out from? Are you still tying leaders and tippets on?

I'm looking at fishing lakes too, I wonder how far that puppy can cast.

This is awesome!

So the reel goes around the rod above the grip, where does the line come out from? Are you still tying leaders and tippets on?

I'm looking at fishing lakes too, I wonder how far that puppy can cast.

There is no reel. It's a fancy cane pole, basically. I love mine though the fixed line aspect limits your range on lakes. Absolute killer on small mountain streams though.

What kinda flies are we talking here for up in these alpline lakes? My trout experience is back in PA with beadheads, midges that'll make your eyes bleed they're so small, streamers and egg flies. We rarely used the bigger flies caddis', adams, green drakes, blue wing olives (actually this on was fairly common).

Never fished Washington, but for MT/WY alpine lakes (mostly cutthroat and brook trout) I’ve mainly used Adams, stimulators, elk hair caddis, and humpies. Some soft hackles, various woolly buggers and leeches, some smaller nymphs and midges as well. A few eggs don’t hurt for the spring spawners. Black/gold panther martin for a trump card. Mountain lake cutthroats and brookies are usually really aggressive, if you get into goldens they’re much harder to catch.

Adams, gnats, caddis, and hoppers. Sometimes I'm lazy and leave on a dropper rig from stream fishing and I'll catch them on the copper john/midge at times.

I was really into backcountry lake fishing for several years and still do a bunch of it. I bring both fly and spin, but I can say 100% that a spinning rod is more effective. It becomes a matter of what you enjoy. Fly and bubble works a treat with a spinning rod.

Dont overthink the gear. My backcountry spin setup was less than $50. 2 piece 5 foot rod and ultralight reel.

I do not recommend Tenkara. Wind will kill you.

Attachments

• 20190719_181525.jpg
    20190719_181525.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
What kinda flies are we talking here for up in these alpline lakes? My trout experience is back in PA with beadheads, midges that'll make your eyes bleed they're so small, streamers and egg flies. We rarely used the bigger flies caddis', adams, green drakes, blue wing olives (actually this on was fairly common).
If you want to keep it really simple a #10 elk hair caddis with a dark body. You can also add some Adams if you want diversity.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Now here's a hairy question and I don't mean to step on any toes.... my entire life I've probably eaten probably less than a dozen trout and those were all before I was probably 10yrs old, all we ever did was catch and release and I've caught a ton of trout.

Since I'll be backpacking in, it'd be nice to have a non-dehydrated meal, what is the general public consensus on keeping one of these for a lunch?

Another vote for the tenkara rod. As for flies, usually any small bead head nymph, or whatever I already have tied to my leader, haha. I do like a small beaded prince nymph.

I do not recommend Tenkara. Wind will kill you.
Great point. I experienced this once with my regular fly rod and wished I had my spin cast setup. At least float line helps counter *some wind though wind's a challenge fly fishing and much more so for Tenkara that lacks a weighted line.

Upon reflection, the practical application of backcountry fishing, spin cast takes alpine lakes, hands down!
Outside practical and connecting with the romantic side of fishing, a 4 piece fly fishing setup would be #2.
For the general, all around, opportunistic backcountry fishing mixed with the passion of fly fishing's origin, Tenkara is my favored tool all around.

Best in your decision and look forward to the pics! There's something special fishing the backcountry and alpine destination's are some of the more memorable events for myself.

what is the general public consensus on keeping one of these for a lunch?
My vote, Enjoy! I fish with both intent in mind. I'll be damned if I'm not enjoying my fill each night of caught trout (1-2). I always pack aluminum foil and a packet of my favorite lemon thyme garlic mix. That makes my backcountry experience that much more special. Check the regs before heading out.

I wouldn't hesitate to keep a couple fish for lunch or dinner. If you are catching a fish every few casts there is a good chance that the population will be fine with a moderate amount of harvest. I usually pack a small container of flour/cornmeal mix, seasoned with lemon pepper and salt to cook my trout.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back