Yeti GOBOX Collection

Backpack tent footprint

Paisano

Got a question for the backpack hunters....I’ve been shopping for a 2 person backpack tent. As you know, the lighter they are, the more they cost. I’ve been looking at tents like the big Agnes copper spur, msr hubba hubba, and marmot tungsten ul. Do you need to buy a separate footprint? If so, why don’t the tent makers just make the tent floor that much tougher to start with?... I don’t see why a footprint would need to cost $75?... would a contractor trash bag work work as a footprint? If you can hear screaming, that is me pinching pennies!!! :ROFLMAO:

I have the MSR, I used a contract bag for a long time and it works great, I got the ground cloth so I could run just the poles with fly... which is what I run with a lot of the time. I’m thinking of dropping the $100 for the fast and light bathtub.

You don’t have to get the ground cloth, I never used one growing up and we never had an issue, I think the new ultralight tents use materials that are more vulnerable to ware and tear so I see it as a way of protecting my investment.

3 mil plastic sheeting, cut to size with 1" extra along the edges. Basically the same thing as a contractor bag.
why don’t the tent makers just make the tent floor that much tougher to start with?
It's a numbers game get the weight as low as possible - you can't outsell your competitors in the ultralight game, if you have a tough, thick bottom to your tent. Some people buy these and camp on soft surfaces, and the footprint is unnecessary. Set that thing up on rock in the West one time and you can do a number on some of those tents without a layer between though.

I just bought a Copper Spur 2p, and instead of buying the footprint for 70-80 I'm buying fabric and will cut to size, stitch the border and put in grommets myself. Looking like $25-30 altogether for a 5-6 ounce setup. I personally think the footprint is an absolute necessity.

I’ve always cut about 1” short of the edges. My experiences were any extra material outside the tent would catch water and then pool under my tent.
Probably spitting hairs here, but if it's rainy or rain in the forecast that night I'll tuck in the border underneath so none is exposed to pool any water. But if it's dry it's just a little extra insurance against rubbing the floor of the tent on rock, at the cost of probably 1/2 oz.

Yeah it really depends on the material, the ground surface obviously, and how much you want to mess with clearing a site. I personally don't use one, but I also don't really have any shelters w/ UL floors at the moment. No reason homemade options won't work...plastic, tyvek, etc.

Tyvek works great as a ground sheet too. If you're really on a budget check out a Kelty Salida 2. I've weathered some storms in mine, and stayed dry. Good tent for the money.

Lot of good ideas on the table already!
I pinch any penny I can.... I got on Amazon and shopped around and found a generic/off-brand ultra light footprint that fit the size and shape of my tent almost perfectly. The footprint was $12shipped. Love the logic of trying to save $10 after buying a $400 tent :)
Once I got the footprint I was pretty thrilled with it, any time I use the tent I put it down.. works great as ground tarp too to sleep on if the tent is left at home.

Use a ground cloth, home made is just fine. Not worth it to rip a new $400 tent.

PS, kudos for the copper spur HV series, I got the 1 man this spring. Very happy with it after its first 2 trips.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back