Backpack Contents

mathewsboy

Several people stated in a previous topic that they had been able to reduce their pack weight to 30-50 lbs. for extended backpacking trips. Could you please tell me what you now carry into the mountains? Please be as detailed as possible--brands, amount and type of food per day, etc. Being in the East, I plan to "practice" packing in for two years before heading West, but this will help me get a good start.

Welcome to Hunttalk, I will get you my list, probably tomorrow..
biggrin.gif

Gidday Matt its easy to go under 50 lb for up to week ,I can get down to 30lb without much effort.
Pack 4lb
tent 4lb
sleeping bag 4lb
sleeping mat 3lb
collapsible water bladder 6 litre.
cooker and spare fuel 1 cup 1 billy 1 pan fork spoon and plate all lite weight 4lb
goretex jacket and pants 31b
one pair spare socks and liners and merino thermals{top and longjohns}
and therma fleece top 3lb
Remaining weight is food
1 dehydrated meal a day
1 dehydrated porridge a day
dried fruit and energy bars
loaf bread cream cheese and a salami and coffee ,sugar
Its not a lot it will keep you going you will loose weight
wink.gif

Also rifle, and ammo and pull thru in bum bag with gps maps compass lighter cell phone etc.
Good luck.

Here is what I pack:
Back pack-with peak one pack frame. (dwight Schoe)brand fleece outer and breathable inside liner for packing meat.
Downfall- peak one pack frames can't hold much over 100 pounds of weight before becoming stressed and breaking.

Primus cook stove around 4 to 5 inches square. push button ignite. Two fuel cans.
Mountain house dehydrated dinners. 6 or 8.

Sleeping bag and thermarest waterproof bag to carry.

Clothes- one pair of pants a couple light shirts 4 pair of socks and 4 pair of boxers.

Toothebrush paste water bottle water purifier pills water purifier sometimes.

Tent light rain gear a couple of knives rope and sharpener.

Electrical tape for cut fingers and a small portion of duct tape for the big nasty that is real bad. That duct tape will seal a pretty nasty cut!

I may have forgot a few others but this is easily under 40 pounds

This is the checklist I use every September before I take off. It depends on where I'm going and for how long on what I take or not. I have some things marked as optional that if I KNEW the weather was going to be tip top I'd leave at home, but for the most part all this stuff goes.

I pack it all in a badlands 2800 which I think is the best buy on a short trip hunting pack out there. Awesome suspension, camo, fairly silent, and I can pack over 100 pounds of boned out meat in and on it.

Archery Pack Contents

Sleeping Bag Thermarest *
Tarp Hydration System
Cord Stakes (8)*
Headlamp X Batteries (4)
X Bulb (1) 1st Aid Kit ***
Mole Skin * Knife/Sharpener
Wyoming Saw * Lighter/Matches
Fire Starter H2O Filter *
Rope/Carabineers * Stove *or Esbit Tabs
Pot * Game Bags(5)
TP Wet 1’s *
Rag Spoon *
Compass * Soap *
Garbage Bags * Binoculars
Camera/Film * Book *
Radios * Bugle *
Cow Call & Reeds North Face
Capilene Socks
Stocking Cap Shorts *
Ground Cloth * Fleece Pullover
FOOD **

* Optional Gear

** Food will consist of dry, eat any time trail mix, jerky, energy bars, etc for short trips with no stove. Longer trips with stove will require dried soups and like to cook for dinner.

*** 1st Aid Kit contains tape, gauze, bandage material, band aids,Ibuprofen, Heavy duty painkillers, and ace wrap.

My tarp is a homemade deal out of silicone impregnated rip stop nylon. It will cover about 7X12 feet and weighs only 1 pound.

My North Face parka is the heaviest and bulkiest thing I need to upgrade on. I use a MSR Pocket Rocket for a stove, but usually go with no stove in September. I also have an esbit style fuel tab stove that is pretty good.

Sleeping bag is a zero degree down bag that weighs just under 3 pounds and gets VERY compact. Only prob is, every time I compress it, it loses a few degrees from the down breaking down.

I haven't carried a ground cloth yet. I rarely carry the wyoming saw. My game bags are made of sil nylon and I can pack all the meat from a bull in five of them, and they fit in a baseball size sack and weigh about 5 oz.

When I backpack with my rifle in November I may have a few more items in case of severe weather, but this year when i did I ended up sleeping right under the stars and not having any bad weather.

Good Luck

What size backpacks you guys use.....15000 cubic inches???

You guys are carrying in A backpack what I take on a 7 day hunt
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-27-2003 19:04: Message edited by: FLIPPER ]</font>

This is the list that I go by to make sure I have what I need for the particular area and type of hunt I am going on..
The food I take any more consists of hard jerky, crackers, cheese, cashews, some sort of home made fruit role ups and peanut butter..
HUNTING TRAVEL KIT

Hunting knife Hunting/Fishing license Maps
Hoary Hoary knife Tin cup Compass
Daypack Coffee Pen/Pencil
Food Sewing kit Odorless soap
Fishing line Rope Scent kill
Hooks/Sinkers/Lures Flash light Elk calls
Polar Fleece Sleeping sack Extra batteries Bow/Arrows/Release
Extra socks/t-shirts Lighters Hat
Pants/Shirt Water containers Gloves
Toilet paper Binoculars Pit stick
Foot powder Neoprene booties Camera
Plastic Fanny pack Face mask
GPS Food

Hey Russ, that last item you listed, GPS food, is that batteries?
wink.gif

Heck, I would need a separate pack just for my coffee.
rolleyes.gif
Guess I will stick with the camper.
tongue.gif

Back pack hunting list
Equipment-
Rifle
Ammo
Range finder
Camera
Binocs
Kodi Pak Knife set
First aid kit
Tarp
Sleeping Bag w/ liner
Sleeping Pad
Stove
Extra fuel
Flashlight
Mini flashlight
Lighter/waterproof matches
Rope
Shooting sticks
Toilet paper
Compass
Water purifier tabs

Clothing-
Rain jacket
Light weight jacket
Blaze orange vest
Wool socks
Cotton socks
Long Johns

Food-
Trail mix
Bagels
Salami
Cheese
Mountain meals
Gatorade powder mix
Water

Cooking utenslils-
Spoon/fork/knife set
pot/pan

75 litre pack flip extends to 85 if required, I forgot I take hiking towel, dish cloth, soap, toothpaste etc wrapped in my sleeping bag cover just loaded and weighed pack its up to 28 pound thats for 5 day trip, no tent tho this trip

I think to many times hunters are disappointed when they try backpacking after game, my advise, join with the rest of us crazies and pack in the summer time too, then having the right equipment for yourself will come naturally, just add huntin gear and away you go. h2m

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back