Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

backcountry stashes and food cache

maginnis

Anybody pack in any extra food or gear prior to an extended long hunt? 7-10 day sheep hunt. I have been debating taking in fuel,water, mountain houses, and possibly some gear. Putting it all in a dry bag and hanging it high in a tree hopefully away from birds bears and critters. . this might allow me to take in more gear and the consumables will be waiting for me. Or will they? Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this thanks.

Sounds like a good idea to me and I plan on doing this for my sheep hunt this fall. I do remember a thread last year where T-bone had most of his cached gear stolen when scouting for goats in Colorado.

'Sounds like a good idea and a practical logistical solution for an extended hunt. However, consider that if it becomes common practice ... it will assuredly result in abuses. There already is enough crap littering nearly everywhere you hike, hunt, and travel. "Pack it in; pack it out!"

I am taking the chance that the extra stuff I couldn't haul in one trip will still be there when I show up to hunt. Going to be a miserable hunt if the stuff is gone.

i do it but never with food. mountain houses are relatively light and only invite critters. bottled water and fuel are great to stash, some cheaper heavy gear like batteries and a saw if you take one are also great to stash but as already mentioned make sure no matter what you take it out. i dont ever leave food as bears are curious by nature and bite to sample things, if they sample food the entire stash will be tore apart.

C

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back