Backcountry hot tips request

trb

I am a Colorado resident and very excited to have purchased my first muzzleloader, a CVA Wolf (along with a blackhorn breech plug and a Williams ghost ring sight). I have done a good bit of research on this forum and other websites to educate myself about different loads, care and cleaning tips ex cetera. However, I don't personally know any experienced muzzleloader hunters.

What i haven't seen online is a list of tips for using muzzleloaders in the backcountry. I am planning on a 9 day backcountry elk and deer hunt this coming season, and I was hoping some experienced folks might be willing to share a breakdown of their backcountry setups.

I'm particularly interested in: what does your minimalist backcountry cleaning set up look like? Are there tools (like a bullet extractor) that you view as a necessity to have with you/pack in? Do you have multiple vials of premeasured powder with you? Do you bring all your powder premeasured? Im planning on taping the muzzle, but if the weather isn't great and it rains a little, would you definitely reload that night? What if it is drizzling all day, how do you adjust? Do you walk around, including still hunting, with the percussion cap already in?

Any other advice or tips are greatly appreciated! Sorry in advance if any of these questions are obvious or repetitive, just trying to limit my "beginner mistakes".

Thank you!

You don't need a bullet puller with a removable breech plug. Pre measure charges, I keep 2 reloads in a zip lock, then the rest in vacuum sealed bags. Enough for 10 shots. You never know when the wheels are going to fall off with BP. I use those silicone primer holders, also in the Zip lock, with some spares in vacuum bags also.

Can't really help with the rain aspect, as we don't see much of it here.

You can get small o rings to put in front of your primer, should seal you up water tight..

Bring your breech wrench, cleaning jag, screwdriver..
I also mark my sights with a scribe once I'm sighted. Ive known guys who have had theirs come loose on a hunt.

Marking your sight and a small screwdriver for sure.... tape for the end of your barrel. I always carry 5-6 shots/speedloaders per tag. I don’t carry many muzz specific tools or cleaning supplies unless it a horse pack trip. Hope this helps!

I carry a few patches, bore lube and a wire brush that screws into the end of my ramrod. I carry an Allen wrench for my site and wrap the end of the barrel with electrical tape as well as 2-3 feet wrapped around the barrel by the end of the stock. I carry 4 speed loaders + the one loaded. I bring 2 primers for each as I have a hard time grabbing and holding onto them.

I took my Thompson Center moose hunting in Alaska. It rained at least for a little while each day. The barrel was taped at the end of the 10 day hunt it fired fine. Once my muzzleloader is loaded it’s loaded for the season. I take the primer out at night if I’m not in bear country or if casing it in the truck.

I carry a few patches, bore lube and a wire brush that screws into the end of my ramrod. I carry an Allen wrench for my site and wrap the end of the barrel with electrical tape as well as 2-3 feet wrapped around the barrel by the end of the stock. I carry 4 speed loaders + the one loaded. I bring 2 primers for each as I have a hard time grabbing and holding onto them.

Good call on extra primers, i forgot that one. I always carry at least double what I need as they weigh nothing and the little rascals like to get gone easily!

I put all my bits and bobs e.g. extra projectiles, primers, jag, patches etc. In a stock pouch. Always worked well for me.

One thing that's challenging and I haven't got a solution for yet is with moisture. In BP it's not your friend. I once shot a sambar in driving rain. Trying to reload without getting everything wet was tough. Didn't need the second shot in the end and back at camp that night popped the breech plug out and found that half the powder had clumped from moisture.

Backpacking in UT I carry my muzzy in a solo hunter rifle case as much as I can.
Have Not endured significant amounts of rain but will keep whole gun dry as long as everything stays upright.

Solo cover for the muzzy, 6 pre-measured vials, basic stuff in a pouch like an allen key.

I don’t put a primer in until I’m up close and personal.

Reactions: trb
Vacuum sealing some of your quick loads is a good move that I hadn't thought of before now. I usually carry six or eight in addition to the one loaded in a ziplock bag with a couple of pouches of desiccant in it. I carry the tools needed for disassembly with me: usually just a couple Allen wrenches and whatever tool came with the gun. Electrical tape works great on the barrel and some form of cover for the gun will help with rainy days. Rain in the backcountry is a problem that can only be lessened not solved.

Really appreciate the good ideas and advice from everyone, especially the vacuum sealing and marking the sights. Really looking forward to the gun arriving Thursday, taking it to the range and figuring out the load for it. Thanks again!

I have taken mine now three times into the wilderness on backpack hunts. Take the essentials you need to break it down, swab the barrel, or pick out the flash hole. All my stuff goes into a heavy duty zip lock and then stays in the tent unless needed.

I scratch the exact place on the rear peep sight where everything is so I can be 100% sure it hasn't moved. My scoped ML has my scope dope taped on the stock. I also carry an extra peep sight with me in case of scope failure, catastrophic ML injury...

I carry 4 loads on me. One in the gun and three extras. I keep extra primers back at camp along with 6 extra loads.

I carry the three loads while hunting in my bino pack. Horn Hunter XL. It has an elastic pouch on the left side that holds two tubes of powder, and one tube with (3) bullets. The extra powder charge and primers ends up in the pouch on the back of the bino pack. Primers go in right front pants pocket, which snaps shut. I have never had to use a second shot, but reloading is more of a slow is smooth and smooth is fast approach.

Tape over the muzzle no matter what weather. Primer stays in. In 2017 I hunted SW CO during monsoon season, early September and it flat out poured for a couple days... ML went boom when trigger needed pulled.

Reactions: trb
Back