Yeti GOBOX Collection

Backcountry Gourmet ideas?

mtmaddalena

I wanted to pick everyones brains for some ideas; I am spending the summer working in "the Bob" complex with groups of volunteers. The organization I am with prides itself on high quality, nutritious meals being provided to the volunteers. I was curious what you guys might have in your quiver. I will have access to stock, a yeti cooler and a full camp kitchen(minus the dutch oven) so weight isn't a huge deal. I don't want to use my personal wild game meat(I will for some special trips) on everyone so beef, pork, chicken, veggie ideas would be ideal. Supper and appetizers are ideally what I am looking for but I am also interested in quick breakfast and lunch ideas.

Since you have a cooler, try making overnight oats for breakfast. The night before, mix equal parts of whatever milk you like and old fashioned rolled oats. Mix in brown sugar or whatever you like in your oatmeal and let it sit in the cooler overnight. It will be ready to eat in the morning and is really good cold. Be sure to use old fashioned oats. Quick oats will be slimy and steel cut oats will not get soft.

Chicken or steak fajitas marinate and throw in cooler bring peppers n onions tortillas. Burgers.
Anything cooked outdoors is gourmet to me but burgers and fajitas are usually my highlight meals of camping trips. Fish if you can catch it

I second Overnight oats. I make those all the time when we’re vehicle camping for work. The variations are endless. Powdered peanut butter and cocoa powder, maple syrup and pecans, vanilla and cinnamon. I can mix them up at home and just grab a jar every morning, or you could just make plain bulk and let people add their own flavors in the morning. Breakfast burritos can also be prepped ahead of time and heated.

I don’t know about gourmet, but pulled bbq whatever can be made ahead and frozen. Thaw, heat and assemble sandwiches or serve with veggies.

Mexican rice bowls - rice, meat, beans, corn, cheese, other veggies, salsa, basically whatever you want. Asian versions of bowl style meals are equally easy. I usually assemble the hot ingredients ahead of time and freeze, then just thaw/heat, add any cold ingredients and eat.

A chili verde could be made ahead of time too. Or you could make the sauce ahead of time then add the meat at camp. Reheat, serve with tortillas or over instant rice.

Lots of marinades that can be done ahead of time. Throw that and your meat into gallon ziplocks and they’re ready to cook when you get there.

As for appetizers, I don’t know why but when I’m out and it’s hot, having access to cold fruit is heavenly.

I have a lot of elk scouting in my future this summer, so I’ve clearly been thinking about this a bit!

Great ideas, the overnight oats will definitely be getting used in my camp. I like that folks can add/adjust their own toppings.

Ive got a solid chili recipe that will be getting used. I had not thought of the pulled meat. Excellent!

Hobo dinner buffet. Have a selection of raw meats and veggies, maybe quinoa and presoaked orzo, and a couple sauces. Everybody can make their own combo, add a couple generous spoons of olive oil and some salt, wrap up in tinfoil and cook in a depression in the ground covered in hot coals. Just remember to initial the foil pouches with a magic marker beforehand, so you know whose is whose when they're done cooking.

What I like about the pulled/shredded meat is that I can use a couple frozen packages of it to replace ice in the cooler. Premade burritos or tamales work too.

When I started reading this thread, my mind went straight to bacon wrapped jalapenos with cream cheese. I've never had them while camping but now I want them.

If you can make ahead, vac seal and freeze here are a few other ideas:

Hank Shaw's Posole Verde is really good, lots of options for use too; as a stew, in tacos, over rice, over mashed taters, etc.

Red wine braised brisket
take a 4 - 5 lb piece of brisket and rub down with McCormick texas bbq rub.
In a ceramic dutch oven lay a bed of sliced vidalia onions and put the brisket in.
add two cans of beef stock, a liberal dash or two of worcestershire sauce and a half bottle or so of Lambrusco.
cook at 275 - 300 for at least 6 hours till the meat falls apart.
This is good on instant mashed potatoes or you can also make french dip style sandwiches with it too and adding a slice of smoked Gouda never hurts

Spicy beef tacos
3lb roast, make a rub with chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sear in a ceramic dutch and remove
reduce heat and add a bit of oil, and throw in a diced onion, diced poblano pepper, saute then add meat back in.
Pour in a can of medium red enchilada sauce and put in the oven at 350 for an hour and a half.
Add in a can of fire roasted corn and cook another half hour or so.
Meat should be easily shredded. Throw in a diced jalapena for more heat.

I find that condiments, sauces and garnishes that are simple to make, can make a big difference
Pickled red onions for tacos,
Candied jalapenos on just about anything.
Roasted red pepper aoli & pickled banana peppers

If you plan ahead and pack wisely, you can pull off some really decent meals. My wife and I took her dad out to Colorado for fishing/hiking trip out of my wall tent. One evening I made maple bourbon grilled salmon, baked potato and fresh green beans and served with a chilled blush. He was blown away. .

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back