Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Backcountry electronic charging

Bearstew

Looking for first hand experience with the nomad 7/guide10 combo. Or what other options you have found to be sufficient for a week long pack in. A buddy and I will be in Colorado for 2nd rifle and I am exploring best charging options for Garmin inreach/ Garmin handheld and a cell if needed. Thanks in advance

Welcome aboard! I wish I knew more about solar chargers outside of my last experience which was about 5 years ago. At the time the technology had not caught up and small, portable solar was still kind of a gimmick and required nearly 100% sun to function. Things have likely changed and I'm patiently awaiting for someone to try something new out. So if you do use this please let us know as it would be extremely helpful to the crew.

With that said I think you can get away with a power bank for a week very easily. The gold standard for midpriced Amazon stuff seems to be Anker. They'll all say how many times they'll fully charge a cell phone. My experience is that if you are using OnX on your cell frequently and an InReach, that a 20-30,000mah power bank may be necessary however if you're frugal with your mapping and inreach use that a 10-15000mah battery will go a week.

Welcome aboard! I wish I knew more about solar chargers outside of my last experience which was about 5 years ago. At the time the technology had not caught up and small, portable solar was still kind of a gimmick and required nearly 100% sun to function. Things have likely changed and I'm patiently awaiting for someone to try something new out. So if you do use this please let us know as it would be extremely helpful to the crew.

With that said I think you can get away with a power bank for a week very easily. The gold standard for midpriced Amazon stuff seems to be Anker. They'll all say how many times they'll fully charge a cell phone. My experience is that if you are using OnX on your cell frequently and an InReach, that a 20-30,000mah power bank may be necessary however if you're frugal with your mapping and inreach use that a 10-15000mah battery will go a week.

Yep go with a Anker.

I have a power core 10000, for my Iphone and Garmin Mini. I was able to run my phone on airplane mode with OnX and regularly use my garmin for a week in Alaska with charge to spare. Solar panels are a heavy gimmick.

i took an anker and dark energy this year. my brother took a nomad solar panel.. he returned it after the trip

Use your electronics sparingly... My Inreach will last 10 days on one charge, using it for texting occasionally. My phone will last 4-5 days, using it sparingly. I take enough battery to recharge both one time. In all the years I've hunted, I use a GPS very, very little for navigation. I can always get by for a week or more on a single set of fresh batteries, but bring a backup for the odd chance that I leave it on, or it gets turned on.

Bottom line... take less electronic crap (and use it sparingly) and enjoy the time away from it. I'm always amazed at how connected people need to be when out in the woods. Multiple batteries, solar chargers, etc.

Glad I asked this question, I imagined the extreme cold would kill an anker. I wish I didn’t need to carry all three. My inreach battery will last a very long time. I use it regularly offshore fishing with no cell service to touch base with the boss. Unfortunately onx does not work with inreach so I bought a handheld Garmin as I didn’t want to rely on cell phone for onx purposes. I will still carry the inreach to touch base with wife and newborn at home. Thanks for the help

Glad I asked this question, I imagined the extreme cold would kill an anker. I wish I didn’t need to carry all three. My inreach battery will last a very long time. I use it regularly offshore fishing with no cell service to touch base with the boss. Unfortunately onx does not work with inreach so I bought a handheld Garmin as I didn’t want to rely on cell phone for onx purposes. I will still carry the inreach to touch base with wife and newborn at home. Thanks for the help

I haven't had much of an issue with the cold, albeit I'm not doing a ton of December backpack hunting. I just keep electronics in my pockets instead of in my pack and that seems to be good enough.

Not sure I'm tracking on your concerns. Most cell phone GPS do not require cell service. You can download ONX maps directly to the phone for off line use. I never use my Garmin anymore because the iPhone has not let me down. InReach is great and it works with your phone too. If you're taking your cell phone, you're carrying three GPS units in the field.

I carry an Anker battery backup. In extreme cold you want to keep your batteries near your body for warmth. Otherwise, they should work fine. I have a solar panel and find it unnecessary for 5-7 day hunts. A single battery charger works fine for an iPhone and inReach.

I have the anker(two actually), a Poseidon Dark Energy, and goal zero. They all work well enough. The Dark energy is the most robust of the three. They are all about the same size and capacity...don’t see much if any difference in any as far as use.

I have a nomad 7/guide 10 combo, and it's worked well for me. I actually have 2 guide 10's so I can have one getting charged while another is in use.

Jackery Bolt 6,000 - has built in cords for both the iphone and micro usb for the inReach!

I have the Goal Zero 7 charging panel and just FYI... it won't do jack crap if it's even a little cloudy. You'll need direct sun to get charging panels to put out a charge, and always, always use a power bank and not directly to phone. Point being: don't expect to rely on solar. Take enough battery and use sparingly.

I've been happy with an Anker PowerCore 20100 - running OnX (offline maps in airplane mode) on a Samsung S8 and using the Garmin Inreach mini. Seven days no problem if using OnX and Inreach no more than necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back