Back up plan for second hunting trip

Well you always read horror stories of hunting trips gone wrong but never think it’ll happen to you. A buddy of mine has been going with me on my elk hunting trips to Idaho the last four years. We hunt otc units and have always gotten tags. This year we planned to do the same thing so he bought a plane ticket and I bought my license and tag back in July. He however waited a little too long to buy his tag, he got online to buy it today and they’re sold out.
I’ll be heading to Idaho myself the 11th and hunting myself for 8 days. the plan was for him and my girlfriend to fly out the following Saturday and hunt the second week with me. This being said my girlfriend already has her plane ticket and tag so I’m not gonna cancel the trip. However I know he’s wanting to get in the woods this year so I’m wondering what some otc options would be later in the season.
I’d like to find a November hunt to go on somewhere and really don’t care what state it’s in. I’m just trying to think of a way for him to get in the elk woods this year other than him going to Colorado himself for a week which is what he may have to do.
The only other option I thought of was taking the week I’d planned to hunt myself and the two of us going to a spot in Colorado we’ve hunted in the past and then driving up to Idaho for the second week with my girlfriend. This is a real bummer. Get pumped up for this trip every year and I’ve gotten used to having him with me as a hunting partner.

Go to Idaho yourself and shoot a great bull which will make him never forget to buy his tag early another year :p

Looks like he’s starting to run out of options. No non-res Montana left over elk tags right now but one might pop up. Most Utah general tags are sold out. Oregon otc archery maybe? Like you said there’s always Colorado which is not a waste of time.

What is to keep him from coming with you? Split the cost of the trip and enjoy hunting with another set of eyes, caller, meat hauler and split the meat when you drop the big one. Problem solved. Hunting isn't always pulling the trigger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back