Back Spasms with New Pack

CycleFishHunt

I hunted last weekend with a new pack. While the pack was not full, it seems to me that it fits great. Unlike my (very) old pack, I had absolutely no soreness on my hips or shoulders. After walking 35 miles over the last 4 days with it on, I feel pretty darn good today.

Twice, however, with the pack off, I had painful wrenching spasms in the center of my back (behind the sternum). Each time I had been seated and hunched over a bit, and when I straightened up the center of my would intensely spasm.

My first thought is that this likely due to my less than awesome posture at work, sitting in front of a computer, or possibly lack of conditioning. But I figured I'd check here anyway to see if others have experienced this, and if it is a fit issue, if an adjustment could be made to prevent it in the future.

Not knowing a damn thing except for your description, I would guess just lack of conditioning in the posterior chain. Definitely try to keep up with weighted workouts in the off-season and you shouldn’t have problems. Hot tip: Hamstrings are a muscle in the human body and yes you need to use them.

yeah that just sounds like lack of conditioning.

for example:

in early september i was running trail races, back in good form and running well. still lifting and squatting 3ish times a week.

in late september i had a baby.

now almost three months later i go bowling with co workers and today my back hurts. since when TF does bowling make your back hurt? so depressing.

Figures. Thanks guys.

@TOGIE I lost a lot of fitness after our son was born. I didn't want to buy a running stroller, cycle trainer, or other stuff I needed to work out at home and I regret it now. Not sure where you're at, but do what you can avoid the aches, pains and the dad bod, even if it means coughing up some extra dough.

Figures. Thanks guys.

@TOGIE I lost a lot of fitness after our son was born. I didn't want to buy a running stroller, cycle trainer, or other stuff I needed to work out at home and I regret it now. Not sure where you're at, but do what you can avoid the aches, pains and the dad bod, even if it means coughing up some extra dough.

thank god my wife is forcing the issue.

bought a treadmill on sunday, mostly for her as she is more anchored to the house than me. but january a new house project begins, turning half the garage into a home gym. also switching to Anytime fitness as our 24hr just expired and there is an Anytime 3 minutes from my office. lunch time will soon just be stairmaster time.

but these past three months have been bad. real bad. i jus feel ill most the time. i've never worked out so little in my life.

You might want to evaluate your stretching routine. If you're adding a lot of hiking without properly stretching your legs and hips it can lead to tightness in your back. Personally I need to keep up with stretching and pressure work, like a foam roller, to keep my back in check.

You might want to evaluate your stretching routine. If you're adding a lot of hiking without properly stretching your legs and hips it can lead to tightness in your back. Personally I need to keep up with stretching and pressure work, like a foam roller, to keep my back in check.

I already a pretty decent routine for that. But it also seems there is a lot to overcome as a desk jockey.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back