Back Problems....Any success stories?

About two years ago I was in a world of hurt. Herniated a disc and couldn't stand straight, couldn't walk normal and Felt it all the way down to my right ankle. Tried shots and meds (steroids, relaxers, opioids, etc.) Dr. Recommended surgery but only after I completed a full regimen of physical therapy. After the first several visits I quit as it wasn't helping me, went back to the Dr. and he said no way, surgery was a last resort and he wouldn't approve until therapist said they had done all they could for me. Four months of therapy later I had marked improvement. Still took about a year to be able to do everything I could do before. Pushing myself hard scared the hell out of me because I would give anything to not go back to where I was before. Now, lots of yoga, core work, and stretching and I can run like
I used to, play basketball, etc. Lower back still gets sore but it doesn't prevent me from doing anything aside from lifting real heavy.

I wouldn't wish back pain on anyone and I completely understand how it could bring a permanent dark cloud to someone's life. Hopefully everything you have done works well for you.

^^^^^^Exactly this ^^^^^^^ I've also experienced the fear from coming and rehabing a disc, it's tough.

^^^^^^Exactly this ^^^^^^^ I've also experienced the fear from coming and rehabing a disc, it's tough.

Thanks for the informed opinion. Just for my own clarification.....once the disc is herniated, and you can't feel your leg - surgery is the best and only option ( following verification of herniation via MRI )?

Its a slow process to heal, but chiropractic care did wonders. I have the feeling back in my toes. He straight up told me, had I adjusted you and it hurt worse, its time to see the big Doc's. But it felt better and over months time it got better. I go to him for maintenance now and I'll swear by it. I've heard acupuncture does a world of good for back issues too.

Growing up my father was a chiropractor and a very good one to boot. As was explained to me, when you throw your back out it will hurt. If you ignore it, the pain will go away- temporarily. The muscles will re-adjust and relax. However the disc will take a inappropriate load until it ruptures and then you get what you disserve for putting the repair off.

There isn't much your chiropracter can do after the disc damage is done. Get the help you need as soon after the problem as possible. I've been in horse wrecks as well as helicopter wrecks. My back is fine because I got my back fixed right away each time.

Threw out my back shoveling snow a month ago. I walk 4.5 miles daily and back has killed me. Temps have gone to 15 degrees in early morning when I walk with my brother. Went into my hunting stuff on a stepladder on the top shelf to get a stocking cap.

I have always fall off ladders. Too many times.

I fell off the step ladder and fell into the opposite wall.

Popped my back and I am cured.

Glorious!

I've had chronic back pain for ten years. It's not debilitating but it nags at me daily. The best thing I've found without surgery is a strong core makes a huge difference. Theragun or other percussive therapy devices work pretty well too but don't use them directly on your spine.

Physical therapy is my constant in life. If you're able to work your program, don't give up on it or even skip a day.

Get foot orthotics ASAP. Years of back pain gone after I was properly fit. It’s been amazing. Wished I would have done this years ago!

At 34, I was in a pretty bad car wreck in Afghanistan that ruptured the disks between C-4-5-6, among other things. Some Afghan plowed his gravel truck into our convoy in '04 way before using vehicles as weapons became cool.

Anyway, it comes with variably numb hands, arms, vertigo, and week-long spasms in my trap/rhomboid area. The doc said to expect needing a fusion when the numbness turned to pain. I don't want to jinx it, but I'm 49 now, no fusion, and managing with just staying in shape and one cortizone (or some such magic potion) shot at age 46. Staying active is absolutely key, and working abs above all else has really helped me. I lift and try to focus on mobility and stretching as much as possible.

If I could only tell someone one thing, I'd say you cannot possibly work your abs enough. I never see mine, of course, because I love food, but they're in there. And I try to consciously keep a solid core whenever lifting, twisting, biking, packing elk meat, all of it. I also focus on symmetry of loads when lifting or carrying. Having a rifle slung over a shoulder or even riding on one hip kills me the next day. When elk hunting, I do much better carrying my rifle most of the day in/on my pack centered on my back.

In the gym I do a lot with kettlebells, deadlifts, and legs. In every single lift, I focus on head and neck position, pretty much neutral spine, don't look up or down. It's harder than you think, we all like to look up when lifting. One of the most bang for my buck lifts, I think, is just carrying two differently-weighted bells for 20-30 yards out in the street, switching hands then carrying them back. That really cranks your core. And the foam roller is a Godsend during cooldown.

I know that's more neck than back, but maybe some of it can help. Best of luck to ya. When spine things are tweaked, that's some of the worst pain ever.

I injured my back working on the green chain at a lumber mill almost thirty years ago. Chiropractic care has allowed me to live my life 95% pain free. When my back "goes out"--which as somebody pointed out above is really just your muscles compensating for a misaligned spine and seizing up--then I visit my chiro and he adjusts me. I probably go 8-10 times a year. It's cheap, and by far the best money I spend on my health care and well being. BUT...it is very important to find a good chiropractor who practices a technique that fits your specific type of pain and injury. I've probably been to a dozen different chiros over the years, and only two or three were really effective for me. So it takes some dedication to find one that works for you.

Good luck to all who are experiencing back pain. It sucks and makes it hard to enjoy life because it constantly nags at you. I thank my lucky stars I'm able to manage it and do all the things I want to do.

Back