Caribou Gear

Back from Pagosa Springs, CO

DRAFTSTUD

Got back in from Pagosa Springs, CO this AM, Had a great time, Got my first Bull Elk, a 4x4, made a heck of a shot and saw alot of Elk! My buddy shot his first Mule deer, a 6x7 monster that gross scored 195 inches
biggrin.gif

more details to follow, after I take the wife out to eat and catch up on my manly duties..........later!

Way to go STUD, congratulations on your ELK !!!
195" muley ? No chit, thats a toad. I hope you got pictures of both, lets us see em !

Congrats on the good hunt, Draftstud. Looking forward to hearing details and seeing pics.

Oak

Yeah mate and some of us nuttas like me and Cali and Dan and AA and others like all the other info like rifle make and calibre bullet type and projectile and all that stuff please post
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sounds like a good outing Draftstud way to go!
biggrin.gif
Would love to hear the details of the hunt and see some pics of the hogs
smile.gif

Happy trails

Thanks Guys, First I am waiting on the pictures to come back. Our hunt took place in the Wenumuche Wilderness north of Pagosa Springs,a beautiful piece of country. We had a three day hunt with Crazyhorse Outfitters, Saturday (Openning Day) We had a two hour horseback into the area we hunted, busted our butts climbing into the high meadows. That evening they said that it was suppose to rain all day long and did we want to sit out and start again later, Heck Yeah! Then they said it would continue until Monday evening so my Buddy Wes and I went hunting on our own for Mule Deer south of the camp. We took an old logging trail into the Forest and I cut some Tracks going up a ridge, we slowly worked our way up the ridge, when all of a sudden we jumped Three good bucks, as one crossed an openning I swung on it and dropped it, it was a huge doe! Wes came over and asked what I was going to do, Well When you make a mistake you face up to it. I called the game warden and he was very respectful of the way I handled everything, I lost the doe and paid the lowest fine he said he could give me. I later met the woman who recieved the doe and introduced myself and she said that they really needed the meat, so like me or hate me I really felt kinda good. Now, back to our story, while I was away Wes had folloed the bucks and made a 50 yd. shot and dropped the first Mule Deer he has ever shot at! It was a 6x7 with good mass and rough scored 195 inches! Well he was a celebrity in the campground that day! The next day we resumed our Elk hunt, We started our way up the trail for an hour when a Elk crossed in front of us, as I got off the horse, he swung his head into my 300 Win Mag Ruger M77 syntheic Rifle loaded with Hornady 165 grain bullets with a Butler Creek sling
biggrin.gif
as the Elk heard the thump from the horse's head he was broadside at about sixty yards, a great 5x5! then he was gone. I got back on Shi#head, my horse's new name! We went for about 2 more hours checking Meadows. On our way back out, we would stop and I would creep up to each Meadow and glass for Elk, First I would see 2 or 3. Then we saw a herd of about 20 coming down a slide and the guide said he knew where they we headed, so off we rode (man was I living the life!) and sure enough when we got to the next meadow there were 35 or 40 Elk either feeding or Bedded down. We were still at the top of some steep switch-backs leading into the meadow, we checked out all the elk and there was a 4x4 with a good body size about two hundred yards away down in the meadow. I held right on the sweet spot behind his shoulder and squeezed off, he humped up and ran twenty yards, jumped up on his hind legs and spun around, hit the ground and kicked once!! I had shot him through the heart. There is no way the words I have written can translate the joy I felt. The next day Wes shot a 5x5 at 400 yds. It was lost after 4 hours of tracking when it went over the ice covered face of a Mountain Ridge. We had a great time and I met alot of new friends in Colorado. I even have a Game warden that as he was holding my Elk rack said he hoped that I come back next year!
smile.gif
Pictures to come.

Back