Back Country Watch

Trigger50

Can anyone recommend a good back country watch for my elk hunt this fall. I need one w an easy to use alarm. My phone wont work in these mountains. So I'm gonna get a pre-paid Verizon phone with 100 mins or so.

Ben Lamb

I hear that Timex takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Turn your cellular off/put it on airplane mode and you can still use your alarm, etc.

Colberjs

I'm pretty sure the alarm on a watch wouldn't wake me up if I'm sleeping good. I use my iPhone in airplane mode.

Trigger50

The clock on my old phone wont work unless I have signal. The pre-paid phone might work on airplane. I'm a light sleeper, 2 beeps & i'm up & running.

hank4elk

I wear a watch ,always have.Swiss.
I also take a mini alarm clock I found someplace,just in case.Usually wake up at O'darkthirty and hour early anyway..............I'm always ready to go. Gotta have Joe Time first.Listen to the critters.

WyOpitz

I just bought a Suunto Core, it's pretty sweet. My buddy wore one last fall and it was plenty loud enough to wake me up, not really a light sleeper. He snore pretty darn loud and it woke him up. I used my phone last fall in airplane mode, lasted about 5 days with pictures and all. Then I was screwed.

Colberjs

I just bought a Suunto Core, it's pretty sweet. My buddy wore one last fall and it was plenty loud enough to wake me up, not really a light sleeper. He snore pretty darn loud and it woke him up. I used my phone last fall in airplane mode, lasted about 5 days with pictures and all. Then I was screwed.

5 Days is pretty good. I have a Brunton solar charger that will give it a full charge so that should get me through a week easy.

Trigger50

Maybe I just need to suck it up & get a smart phone. Been fighting it for yrs. My old phone is so cheap through work.

Sawtooth

I use a timex ironman watch as my alarm when hunting and it is great. Kept working even in below zero temps during a couple December cow elk hunts without any problems. Alarm is easy to set and turn off when O'dark thrity starts the day. It is nothing fancy but it does have a couple alarms on it if you tend to shut one off and need a reminder a few minutes later.

1_pointer

5 Days is pretty good. I have a Brunton solar charger that will give it a full charge so that should get me through a week easy.
Just a thought, but there are some rechargable battery packs and/or ones that run off of AAs to recharge phones that may be lighter than a solar charger. I'm thinking of taking something like this along:

71luLqnFQiL._SL1500_.jpg

Weighs 4oz.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bowhuntnnut