PEAX Equipment

AZ, is it worth it?

Good luck! If you can afford it here are a few tags you can buy almost every year in AZ, if you want to still come hunt, but wait for some better units:

Leftover General Coues Deer Tags in the border units.
Over-the-counter Archery Deer Tags valid for 3 different seasons & both Mule deer & Coues.
Leftover Archery Javelina Tags

I don't remember ever being able to apply for all four species on Feb? How long ago was this.

Spitz, Tone, Mtlion, you'll be suprised what you can hunt in AZ if you don't hold out for an Early rut rifle or Muzz hunt..............

Good to know as I'll definitely be going archery on the elk side of things (at least for the first time I draw). On deer I'm really not sure what my plan is other than it only makes sense to start the process.

Spitz, Right now it is still a good investment. But there are two big variables that can change things dramatically.

1. Last month SFW showed their cards in AZ. They want to skim off a lot of the absolute best big game tags in the state for auction to their wealthy clients. Especially if they hit the easy target of nonresident tags, that would add as many as 5-6 years to our wait to draw a top unit. They put the Paunsagunt firearm hunts out of my reach in Utah, and I was forced to switch to archery or wait 6 more years. They got defeated in AZ, but they will be back.

2. AZ just switched to online applications, with almost no money to front per tag. This will greatly increase new applicants. AZ has almost no point creep right now. That will change this year.

So as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out with regards to if it's worth it for a new guy to bother jumping in now.

Last edited:
AZ Hunt

I think it is. I am now sitting on 15 elk points and have had a great deer hunt. I should draw a 12AE hunt this year. I like their system better than most of the other states but that is me. There are some good elk hutns that you can draw with 6-8 points and you should get a good deer tag about every four to five years.

Back