Caribou Gear Tarp

AZ Elk, what units to apply for?

GoldToyBox

I know this is a very subjective question with lots of variables but any thoughts are welcome. I want a chance to take a nice bull, a B&C would be a dream. I've been lucky enough to take Cow & Bulls in WA, OR, MT & CO but the years are creeping up, so it's time try for something special. I know very little about the AZ Elk units. I've been on line and to a few shows looking for info but it's tough to glean info from someone selling you something. Willing to hunt Archery, but would prefer Muzzleloader or Modern Rifle.

What Arizona Elk Units would you apply for? I have the bonus points to use for almost any unit.
Willing to pay trespass fees or hire an outfitter if required but prefer to hunt on my own.

thanks for any input.

Last edited:
The only early rifle hunt you could have drawn with your points in 2014 was to draw one of the 2 NR tags that were available for unit 22N in the 1-2 Pass. Your early rifle odds for 2015 will again be virtually zero.
You can draw almost any early archery hunt.

If I were in your shoes, I would put in for 3A/C early archery and book with either Shane Koury or Steve Chappell. I don't think anyone knows 3A/C better than Shane. He lives in the unit. 340 or better is very doable.

Do you have your Hunter Safety point? It may be worth getting if it could help you get the tag you want at this point. I believe there may be a class available that would get you the point in time for the 2015 draw.

Do you have your Hunter Safety point? It may be worth getting if it could help you get the tag you want at this point. I believe there may be a class available that would get you the point in time for the 2015 draw.

This..they always have the hunter ed point class in Jauary, just in time for the upcoming elk draw. Just do it.

WapitiBob,

How do you find out when these classes are offered? It seems like the website isn't updated much. 6 months ago I booked plane tickets for this coming week for a family wedding in Phoenix. I've called once a month since then and asked if there would be a class while I am down there that I could take. Each time the gal responded that there was not. I even called 3 weeks ago, asked, and was told there was nothing! Now I just found out there was a class that would have worked out perfect for me but it is already full. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement as now if I want the point I need to get roundtrip airfare, 2 day car rental, a night in a hotel, and most likely take a day off of work! Way out of the budget for the coming year or two! Dang!!!

your chances of a B&C bull are OK in almost any unit in Arizona. Better in units in the east part of the state and in the NE corner. 1, 27, 3, etc. That being said, the units in the west part of the state, 8, 10, 7, 18, probably contain the largest bulls right now. So it's a crap shoot. Do like the rest of us and close your eyes, and throw a dart or point a finger or..?? Usually put in for the area we know the best. 10 or 8. Both have excellent herds with large bulls. Whatever you do, good luck.

This is a special class offered to NR only, held the 1st Saturday an January every year in Kingman, organized and taught by Don martin. It doesn't go thru the normal channels.

Always posted on MonsterMuleys in the AZ section and I believe the main hunting section.

Here is the information for the 1/3 class coming up this Saturday and if you call maybe they can squeeze you in:

For those non-residents who are looking to get a permanent bonus point to help your odds in drawing an Arizona big game tag, the Kingman team will be holding the one-day class on Saturday, January 3, 2015 here in Kingman (100 miles south of Las Vegas in northwest Arizona).

Only requirement is that you must have taken hunter ed in your home state (or any state) since 1980 and you provide a copy of your card to Dave Williams at AZ G&F. Any one 10 years or older can take this class!

Williams can reached to sign up for the class at 623-236-7434. FAX your cards to him at 623-236-7903.

Class will start at 7 a.m. (Arizona time) and will end about 6 p.m.

We will do a "working lunch" to try and get folks out early.

Take this class and graduate--and almost all do--and you'll walk out with a permanent bonus point that WILL be added to your accumulated points for the 2015 elk and antelope draws!

We will talk about how the AZ draw works in detail and explain to you the "new" way that NR's will see bonus points applied starting in 2016.

If you need a good, clean and reasonably priced motel to stay at while attending this class-either Friday or Saturday night, call the Silver Queen Motel at 928-757-4315 and tell them you are there for the AZ Hunter Ed class. You'll get a small discount off the regular room prices if you do. They are right next to the freeway and have a Denny's within 200 yards.

If you have any questions, call me at 928-303-9481 and/or send me an email at [email protected] or call Dave Williams.

Don Martin
Chief Instructor
AZ Hunter Education
Region 3

Last edited:
Thanks Bob,

As of this morning there is (1) spot open in the Kingman class. Unfortunately, there are two of us that need to take it so we are out of luck. I'll try for next year, but I doubt a plane ticket will be in the cards with a wedding and honeymoon to pay for at the same time. Unless I combine them.... How would Kingman, AZ be for a honeymoon destination?? Ha ha.

Sorry to highjack your thread, Goldtoybox. Good luck in the draw! I hope you have a fun hunt in store for you in 2015!

No problem on the "hijack", glad you got the info!
I'm booked on a fishing trip, so no safety class ..... this year. But my home state Hunter Safety card is from 1965, so I have to retake it locally before I can attend the Az class.... gotta be a loop hole about that?

Thanks to WatipitiBob and everyone else who added their comments.

I knew I was close but just double checked.

My hunters safety certificate is dated 5/19/1979. I wonder if they make exceptions to the 1980 requirement?

I think a lot of states have online classes. I had my dad do it quick over the weekend in case there was room in the Arizona class for us. He had it done in two evenings while watching TV. I think the same company does the online tests in multiple states. If you have much experience hunting you can pretty much just take the end of chapter quizzes without reading. It's basic stuff.

I just completed my class online two weeks ago. I called to schedule the field day and the soonest class available was March 13th. this puts me at 83 days of the 90 allowed to take the field day after the class is completed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back