Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

AZ Bonus Pt Field Day ?

Trigger50

I signed up for an AZ bonus point field day later in Aug. What should I expect. Looks like it's an hour long and we will be shooting .22's with a written test at the end? Is the test the same as the online test I already took? That test was too long.

First, you will have to match different caliber shells with rifles on a table. You shoot in the prone position at a target at 20 yards with a. 22. Then there's a course of 3D targets and they ask if you will take the shot. There's cars, buildings and roads in the background. From there, you track a simulated blood trail. And yes, there is another 75 question test. Two guys went through all that and failed the final test and didn't get their permanent bonus point that day. The final test mirrors the final online test.

I think I took a total of 10 tests, nine online and the final. It's a hassle and although AZ assures me the hunter Ed point is recorded, it still doesn't show on my account dashboard. I did this in March, 2020, just before the shutdown.

Blood trailing is alittle challenging for me since I'm color blind. I can do it, I just dont see blood as easily as others. Hope I pass. I'm taken over 100 big games animals.

Blood trailing is alittle challenging for me since I'm color blind. I can do it, I just dont see blood as easily as others. Hope I pass. I'm taken over 100 big games animals.
You do it as a group, often is it a couple of adults and and a dozen kids so you can just hang out in the back of the group. I believe it is closer to 3 hours.

Wallydeuce...is there material I can pre-study for the written test without having to pay again for the online course? I'm flying down from MN, dont want to fail. Plus it will give me something to do at the airport.

Wallydeuce...is there material I can pre-study for the written test without having to pay again for the online course? I'm flying down from MN, dont want to fail. Plus it will give me something to do at the airport.
I don't know if there's study material. Check their website. Most of the questions are simply common sense with Az laws thrown in. I prefer archery so I don't know rifles that well. I had to guess on several questions. Must have guessed right. You'll be fine. You passed those 8 quizzes and the online final so don't get stressed about it. And Rustednuts is right, the one hour field day exam is more like three hours.

Also, the exam proctors want you to pass so without giving answers, they'll help you as much as they are allowed. Especially with someone who's traveled from out of state to participate. The two guys that failed were hopeless. Totally unprepared for another written. That surprised me too.

Let us know how you do. Good luck.

You do it as a group, often is it a couple of adults and and a dozen kids so you can just hang out in the back of the group. I believe it is closer to 3 hours.
Mine wasn’t as a group, it was by yourself and all adults. Hardest part was thinking like a kid. I almost didn’t pass on wether or not I shot the jalavina. Highway in the back ground and you just came soon it while on a elk hunt. You have a legal tag in your pocket.

I said nope, too big of a rifle, highway 1/2 mile in the background, and lastly I’m elk hunting. WRONG…..they were looking for it is a legal animal in a legal spot to shoot it.

Think like a 12 year old who doesn’t have a lifetime of experience.

Mine wasn’t as a group, it was by yourself and all adults. Hardest part was thinking like a kid. I almost didn’t pass on wether or not I shot the jalavina. Highway in the back ground and you just came soon it while on a elk hunt. You have a legal tag in your pocket.

I said nope, too big of a rifle, highway 1/2 mile in the background, and lastly I’m elk hunting. WRONG…..they were looking for it is a legal animal in a legal spot to shoot it.

Think like a 12 year old who doesn’t have a lifetime of experience.
Half a mile is 900 yards... they say it's ok to shoot a high powered rifle at ground level towards a highway at this distance? Well there's a ton of bullet drop at 900 yds and you are likely shoot towards the ground at a Javelina.

Last edited:
I attended the field day in Fort Mojave, next to Lake Havasu and it was an all adult course also. I believe besides Kingman, it's the northern most testing location in AZ.

I've been looking for a youth field day since this spring. My 11 year old grandson has asked me to teach him how to shoot and hunt. He already has a bonus point for all big game. I haven't seen a schedule of dates and times for youth yet. I'm also curious as to how difficult the youth course is compared to the adult. Any insight?

Ok guys. I might be wrong here be my confirmation email says the bonus point field test is 1 hr long? I looked at AZ G&F website and it says the same thing... 1 hr?

You callin Addicting and me liars? Kidding.

It will take you at least an hour just for the field test. Three hours dude. Two if you're good enough to blow through the written.

Hey guys I called Arizona game and fish today and confirmed that the class is only 1 hour long. I think you guys took the longer field day maybe because you didn't do the online course 1st? IDK. Maybe you took the class for both youths and adults. The class I'm taking is just for adults with over 3 years hunting experience.

If AZ told you it must be true.

If you can get through everything I posted above in one hour, you're far superior than I am. Good luck.

Ok guys. I might be wrong here be my confirmation email says the bonus point field test is 1 hr long? I looked at AZ G&F website and it says the same thing... 1 hr?
Mine wasn’t much more than that, they had staggered start times for everyone. It was what ever station you wanted to go to first. Nobody starts a timer on you. Take your time and pass.

All done guys. Its takes about an hr for the Bonus Pt field day. If you do the whole hunter ed course in person...4 hrs. They are super nice people. They let me start early because I was on a tight schedule w catching my flight back home. For sure study the practice course online before doing the Bonus Pt field day. There's a 50 question written test.

Attachments

• 20210820_151531.jpg
    20210820_151531.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Back