AZ 7 East Peaks Elk

TexRed

I drew a tag for the second rifle season of 7 E peaks unit (Oct 13-19). I have a few ideas of where I would like to start but was hoping to get some insight from some guys who have actually hunted the area.
Is there any reliable place to locate water on the unit without having to pack out to the truck?
How was the monsoon season in the area? Will there be standing water left for wallows or even to possibly filter for cooking, etc?
What type of weather should we be expecting? I am preparing for anything from warm days to deep snow and hoping for the best.
Any information on the behavior of the animals in this area. I assume they will be high if its still warm. Do they tend to move down as the snow accumulates up high or does hunting pressure keep them higher?
We are not afraid to get away from crowds, in fact we prefer it!

Although i don't have much experience with it, i know that is a very rough, steep hunt. Monsoon season in AZ was very good. To my knowledge however, the peaks probably don't hold much water. Basically steep rock piles.

I would try North of the Humphreys Peak area but west of Hwy 89 and slightly NE of Hwy 180. There is some private land in and around this unit so be careful to your location. The water thing out in the unit for drinking will prob be nil. Plan on having enough. However, you are not going to be very far from Flagstaff and civilization for suppplies. It will likely be cold as I know this bacause of past elk hunts in units 8,9 and 10. Best of luck to you and have fun.

Back