MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Awesome carcass cam

Yeah, those are my pictures. That buck was gut shot by someone and died next to my friends old homestead cabin on some property he owns. He drug it away from the house and told me where it was, and said we should put a camera on it to see if we could get some pics of wolves that are camped out in the area, or some coyotes or any other furry little creatures. I set the cam to only take pics at night to avoid birds and such. The cam was dead when I got there, about 4 hours after the last pic was taken.

I also got chewed out by F&G as they somehow got the pics right on the heels of Vic Workmans encounter. They said it was unsafe, I am gonna get in myself in trouble, etc. Since I could drive within 10 feet of the carcass, I promised not to get out of the truck if there were grizzlies on the carcass.

You probably got yelled at Because the FWP bioligist didn't want people to know there were grizz in the area. Or that many.
The friend I have that rolled one on a charge a couple years ago had an interesting story about talking to the biologists. One biologist told him they had five collared bears in the Area. Another one said oh no we don't have any collared bears around here. ????

I don't see where you did anything wrong and super job on some great Pictures.

A lot of my friends said that same thing, they are forever trying to cover up how many griz there really are. I don't know if that is true, I hope not. They got upset because they said it was a safety issue. I am thinking, well close the woods then, hunters wound game, its a fact of life, you see birds, you go check out what they are on, its being a good hunter if you ask me.

Just get them more upset, I sent on about 6 other pics of grizzlies I have on camera. Including another sow and two cubs, that is what they really want to know, sows and cubs whereabouts. I didn't tell them where any of it was.

Those are incredible pictures. Draathtar, can i pick your brain on trailcams? I have a pixcontroller digital trail camera with a sony DSC-s600 camera, I saw that you have a sony something. So far i think my trailcam sucks because the camera batteries wear out so fast. I live down in Hamilton and its frustrating to hike my camera in 10 miles in and come back in 2 weeks to a dead battery and zero pics.

I hear that, Some of these basins I take mine into are 40-50 mile drive up along Hungry Horse Reservoir and then hiking them in about 2-5 miles for the most part, a couple other places are horse trips if I can talk my buddies into taking their horses, I had one camera die after 2 days, needless to say I was #$%$%^.

I need to know, did you build that cam? What batteries are you using? I have had some batteries fill up a 2gb card on an S600(700 pics), just the 2 AAs in the cam. No way it should be dying that fast, something isn't right. Even sitting in the mountains for two weeks,with colder temps, refreshing the cam every hour, it shouldn't run the batteries down in two days. If you can check it every two weeks, you shouldn't be worrying about batteries. Activity and card size should be your biggest problem.

Is it possible the cam was dropped in water? Or was it a new cam that was hacked? Has it been this way from the start?

And was it set on a wallow? Or a trail? Or just a meadow or something?

Does it run down to nothing just sitting in your house taking pics of you doing whatever in your house?

Just to be on the safe side, I took to building some cams that would be hauled into some wallows and not checked for a month during the summer months. I added 2 alkaline Cs to the NiMH batteries and basically, the 2 gb card is filled before the batteries die, or depending on activity, the card isn't full and power is still showing half. The build looks like this, if you are a builder.

Sorry for all the questions, but it could be something simple or something complicated. Can you show me a picture of your cam? Have you watched your cam after you turn it on? I had some problems with the pix board, only bought two, then switched to other kinds. But on one cam, the board was just turning the cam on and off, rapidly, and not taking pics.

It may be easier to pm you my phone number and try to figure this out.

Attachments

• misc 002 (Small).jpg
    misc 002 (Small).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 229
Thanks for the help. I built mine. My setup looks very similar to yours, ill send some pics of it later. I bought the parts from pixcontroller.com and the camera off ebay. The camera was new in the box but a sweet deal compared to the stores. I have left my cam up in the backyard in warm weather and gotten hundreds of pictures. 2 weeks before bowseason I put it on some wallows in a bugger of a place to get to and when I came back 10 days later the camera batteries where dead with only a couple pics taken. It was getting pretty cold at night. They were regular AAs. After that I put the dang thing aside until after hunting season.

Last week I set the cam up in the backyard and the AAs died in 2 days. I bought some Lithium AAs and it is day 3 and they are still running. I use the camera for other purposes and I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. Lithiums are $9.40 per 2 so that seems an expensive way to go. Do the NiMH’s have better life than a standard AA?

It woul be nice if there were a way to wire in a better/bigger battery to the sony 600. I have a friend who bought a Wildview (they are cheap $79) wildview with a big backup battery and he can leave it out for 2 months and come back and it is still working.

That is your problem. Alkalines suck in Digital Cameras. Go to batteryspace.com and buy those powerizer 2600s, buy 8 or 12. They also sell a good 10 bay charger.
Daryl at whitetail supply touts the Sanyo 2700 eneloops he sells on his site. I bought about 4 of them and like them, but have the most luck with powerizers.
Now, it takes a good 3 or 4 chargings and drainings to build a NiMH battery to its fullest. AND, you can still get good ones or bad ones in a bunch. Its best to number them and keep track of which ones are holding their charges the best by looking at when the light on the charger turns from red(charging) to green(good to go), you will notice differences.
If you built that, then get on real deal hunting chat and figure out how to do a 5 wire servo on an S600 and wire up 2 or 4 extra Cs or Ds(will only fit in a 1060 case) and you will be able to leave that camera out for 3 months. Look for a guy named vtreloader on the camera sites, he is the battery man. He gets unreal results with 2 extra Cs or Ds.

I am downloading a camera my friend brought from his property. Its the one in the picture. The power was still good and the card had 716 pictures on it. The mulies are coming down!!!!

I would figure out how to add some externals to your cam before you buy a wildview. Those commercial cams just don't pick up as well as the homebrews.

I have also made some dummy batteries that go inside the camera and them plug into a case with NiMH which are then wired in parallel with the alkalines, works the same as having the batteries inside the camera. You just need a 1060 case.

Really cool, and great camera information. I am going to have to give this a go. Starting my research now, with a great head-start...

Thanks drahthaar!

Thanks, i ordered some of the powerizers. Hopefully that makes this work. Down the road ill look into the external batteries. I sure had a hard time soldering on the tiny little contacts inside the camera and getting it back together again. It felt like i should have been japanese. If i did it again i might just pay the $39 to have the camera mod done. here is how mine turned out. Now if i could just put it to use like you have Draathtar.
inner.JPG

front.JPG

hey gh! Yes, this camera does take nice detailed movies ....if i could just find a way to do some "enhancing" and airbrush my big hairy butt out of the film.

I can make those pics smaller if your having trouble :)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back