Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Away from the kids!!!

quepina

Hello all!
Id like to introduce myself and thank everyone in advance for their help and apologize for any violation of the forum rules I am making or about to make...

Wife and I love the outdoors and within the past couple years my wife has really come to love hunting. We live in western, NC and hunt the Appalachian mountains near our home. usually the hunting consists of hiking in and setting up anywhere from a few hundred yards into the woods to a couple miles in. This year the wife went in on her own and shot a nice 8 point. We quartered him up and packed him out on packs. As for me my love of hunting started where I grew in the woods of Northern, MN along Lake Superior.

We have a big family ! 6 kids ages 3 to 13... Yeah alot of kids!
Well, this year we have the chance to get away for 8 days in October and are hoping to go to Wyoming for our first Pronghorn hunt! I work in EMS and the wife works part time, but mostly stays at home with our softball team. Time away is tough and with a big family money is tight.

The area we are looking into is unit 8. Why 8 ? because we have no preference points... This is what I am thinking so far, please let me know if there is a better way of doing this hunt or another area we should look into.

I plan on putting in for buck pronghorn for the wife and a doe tag. For myself I plan on putting in for Doe pronghorn and Mule deer buck (I have wanted to hunt Mule deer since I was a kid, so if I have the chance at a meat buck Ill take it. We are both meat hunters so not looking for a trophy, just love the experience and everything that goes with it!

We do not mind parking and walking in, that is what we do at home so no worries about how far we would have to hike. Not a fan of getting lost somewhere I haven't been, but I guess that is what a map and compass is good for. I also hear good things about the onX app?

Question, when you apply for the tags do they charge you the full amount? and if so, if not drawn for a tag do they refund you the amount taken? Never have hunted out west, every deer I have killed was bought with an over the counter tag. Also i know the process started the 2nd of Jan and goes till June 1 does it matter when i put in as long as its before June 1?

Again, thank you for your help and if you ever find yourself in Western, NC drop me a line.

Welcome. You should have a good time and sounds like you have a plan so far. The onx map app or GPS with chip is important, so figure out which is best for you. You are correct that you should be able to draw the tags you want with 0 points. There are a few other units you can draw with no points also so don't be afraid to research them too before deciding for sure. I did my 8th antelope hunt last october driving out from Pennsylvania so feel free to ask whatever questions you may have either here or via pm.

Welcome, I have been using onX maps for 2 years now and definitely recommend it. There are quite a few units that require no points. The Wyoming game and fish website can help or Gohunt has a ton of helpful information when it comes to applying out of state.

Welcome. You should have a good time and sounds like you have a plan so far. The onx map app or GPS with chip is important, so figure out which is best for you. You are correct that you should be able to draw the tags you want with 0 points. There are a few other units you can draw with no points also so don't be afraid to research them too before deciding for sure. I did my 8th antelope hunt last october driving out from Pennsylvania so feel free to ask whatever questions you may have either here or via pm.

Thanks

deer_shooter,

Thanks so much, will get a hold of you with any questions.

Thanks again!

Back