Average Bull.......

550 to 600 pound bull and that might even be high because there are a lot more spikes killed every year than any other.

Cows might be right up there with the bulls as most don't shoot the small ones.(meat hunters)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-09-2002 01:11: Message edited by: raybow 1 ]</font>

I read somewhere that about 2/3 of the "Bulls" killed each year are spikes.
Now I'de gess that most spikes weight less than 450 lbs, probably more like 400 lbs.
That would bring the "average" way down, proabably about 500 lbs.
( hay, my bull this year is sounding bigger and bigger )
But most hunters don't dream about spikes, so if ya want to say "the average mature bull, the number goes way up.

Dan.......the average mature bull?.....mature bulls aren't average! ;)

And when you consider the hunter asking the question was a guy planning his very first do-it-yourself elk hunt and lives in Louisiana.....well, I doubt he will be wading through 800-1000lbs bulls. He will be damn disappointed when his raghorn drops and he finds he is about 250lbs light! :D .....he'll feel jipped for sure....

I just think folks tend to glorify weights and measurements, and the numbers always tend to be pushed upwards......

How many 350 class bulls you think would stretch a tape to 320 if an official measurer got a hold of it? :eek:

My best bucks never get measured by anyone but me

Well, DS, I think that everyone has a tendency to stretch the truth... cept me of course.. and I know that several 350 bulls would be closer to 320 if measured by a professional measurer... if any of those SOBs come close to my 350 bull, I'll shoot them.....

If this is just an info question, then I would have to just guess that the average elk taken would be somewhere in the range of 400 pounds. When you consider the spikes and yearlings that are frequently taken and the mature bulls that are infrequently taken. So I guess I agree with you in your infinite cajun wisdom... :D..

If you are from Colorado now, can you still be cajun? I guess...

:cool:

Well DS,

Since there are so many variables it's hard to say. But I'd say for larger bulls 5pts or better 550-600 lbs and for smaller bulls rags and spikes 400-500lbs is good guess.. but how would i know I got blanked this year. So for me this year my avg elk weighed..0 fricken lbs..

First, always clarify if we're talking about field dresses or live weight on any estimates of any animal weights.

Then clarify whether they are mature or youngsters and the average age for the state you're talking about.

Then, whatever species, subtract 10%--20% from everybodys guess. 40% if they had to drag or carry it more than 400 yards. :D

The average bull in the United States weighs 507 3/4 lbs. dressed. ;)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-09-2002 14:44: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

If they were referring to the

Animalia [kingdom]
Vertebrata [phylum]
Mammalia [class]
Artiodactyla [order]
Ruminantia [suborder]
Cervidae [family]
Cervus [genus]
Elaphus [species]

kind of elk, then its 700 lbs.

At least according to RMEF's web page, see
http://www.rmef.org/elknaturalhistory.html?main=/fastfact.htm

That means Ithaca 37 subtracted an average of 27.46% to get the dressed weight, is that right Ithaca?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-09-2002 15:33: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Dan.......you know full well that my being Cajun has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I am full of shcit! :rolleyes: ........it just broadens my capacity for "full-of-shcitness" :D

Tom...ever the statitician....you guys are killing me!

OK.......I'll tell the guy he was right with his 800-1000 average and be done with it!

Tom, That's right.

Another thing to be taken into consideration is the time in the Fall when the bull is shot. I bet most big bulls lose about ten percent of their weight during the rut. They don't eat much and they run themselves ragged herding the cows around and dealing with the younger bulls that are always trying to get at the cows. It's a real tough job being the top bull. :D

Ah......but Ithaca......the "top bull" is not the average bull! :cool:

Dman them elk have it tuff. I bet them big'ns loose about 200 lbs during Septermber and October.. Bet mostta you all would stand to benefit from that program too. SO.. tie a 25lb log to your head and run around with it day and night witha boner, yelling at every guy you see. Pinch every girl on the ass you come across. You might loose a few around the midsection too.

I dont get this:

"average 5 three + year old bulls"

does that mean the average of 5 bulls that were 3+ years old?

That sounds high, but hey, what do we know. Maybe they were bigger in the 50's.

Heck Ray, you've been around them alot, you think you ever saw a 4 year old rosie that weighed over 1000 pounds?

My personal opinion is no way.
But these studies are from biologists.
I would like to know how much older than 3+ years they were. Earnie; I have only felt like I killed one bull over the 100 pound mark. It was a monster compared to the rest I had taken.

At only a 100 pounds, are you sure it was a monster Ray?! :D

And them biologists have to be right.....after all, they are biologists, right?! ;)

....I think maybe our elks have gone on a diet since the last study :eek:
DS

Good one Mike;
Ok boys-are you ready for some stats. I just about crapped>
Rocky Mountain: average 5 three + year old bulls.
Weight=730 pounds
length=95.4 inches

Roosevelt: average 5 three + year old bulls.
Weight=1054 pounds
length=92 inches

Tule elk: of two plus year old tule bulls.
weight=554 pounds
length=80 inches

Manitoban elk: of three plus year old bulls.
weight=777
length=94.8 inches

This is right from the dept of ecology in the ecology and management of elk of north america's biological studies from the 50s' to date.
I would have never guessed it to be that high.

Either that or them boys were truly living in the glory years.

Back in the 50s' Lake Ozett used to be one of the only ways to access a big portion of Roosevelt country and it pruduced some monsters. Anywhere from the 320s' to 350s' was quite common. But those were the glory days as the NPS took it over and gave everyone the size 9 to their back side. There are some nice bulls every once in a while but not like there was back in the 50s' and it can't even be hunted now.

DS; ya that 100 pounder was a whopper ;)

This is from the RMEF web site.
BIOLOGY
Average Size
Newborn Calf 35 pounds (16 kg)
Cow 500 pounds (225 kg)
4-1/2 feet (1.3 m) at the shoulder
6-1/2 feet (2 m) from nose to tail
Bull 700 pounds (315 kg)
5 feet (1.5 m) at the shoulder
8 feet (2.4 m) from nose to tail
:D
Hope that helps