ATV Hunting in Colorado

COhunter423

Are there any OTC units in particular that play to the advantage of someone with an ATV versus someone hunting out of their truck?

Certainly. Some of the roads I've been on in CO are a gamble with a truck, but very doable with an ATV. Gunnison area comes to mind as well.

I hunt in and around Durango and there are quite a few. Like nrpate05 said most of them are roads you can drive with a vehicle, but it is very hard on them. There are also quite a few ATV only trails that are nice. There are also some motorcycle only trails that are less used by hunters. The roads and ATV trails are pretty heavily used during hunting season....(a lot of white license plates) no offense Texans. My favorite thing to do is to get on ON-X maps and see where the deep dark canyons are drive as close as I can and then dive off into them. The elk really get pushed into the nasty stuff with all of the road and ridge hunters. Good luck out there!!

I have done a few hunting trips for elk into new areas. I generally look for areas where I can get 1 mile from a road or quad trail. I have yet to be skunked in finding elk that way. Quads are great to get around on but I think you still need to look for units that will let you get more than a mile from the trail.

I have done a few hunting trips for elk into new areas. I generally look for areas where I can get 1 mile from a road or quad trail. I have yet to be skunked in finding elk that way. Quads are great to get around on but I think you still need to look for units that will let you get more than a mile from the trail.
Absolutely! I’m willing to put in the work after the ATV ride. Just wanted to find areas that have quad options to get even further away from the normal roads

I definitely try to get as far away from the trail as I can but it’s nice to get some miles away from all the camps. I generally look for dark timber canyons that are close to hidden parks. I also leave base camp the night before and get to where I want to hunt and dry camp for the night that way I am already set up before the army moves in. I have had elk pushed right by me on some hunts.

There are plenty of areas where you can accomplish what you are wanting. Where I hunted this year I was able to drive the atv over 8 miles past the locked gate that kept the full size vehicles out.

Colorado is very accepting of ATV's which is good and bad. Lot's of people driving them around but few getting off and venturing.

Back