Yeti GOBOX Collection

Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
I’ve never understood camo for duck hunting but I’m probably in the minority here. If you’re in a blind why do you need camo. Or if camo works then why do you need a blind. Don’t mind me, just being contrarian.
I don't think camo matters for much, but fir waterfowk hunting inthink it helps. Everyday is different your not always in a blind.

I’ve never understood camo for duck hunting but I’m probably in the minority here. If you’re in a blind why do you need camo. Or if camo works then why do you need a blind. Don’t mind me, just being contrarian.
90% of the blinds i hunt out of are state owned and do not hide the hunters well.
Also, given the choice I prefer to hunt outside of a blind.

I understand where you are coming from though. I have hunted in some private pontoon blinds where we, the hunters, could wear short sleeves eat breakfast off white paper plates and still be hidden

Yesterday was the end of our regular duck season here and I tried to make the most of it. Most of the marshes are frozen but I have access to a pond that rarely freezes. The season was so slow this year, this was my first mallard or goose of the season. I used the midday lull to test out my ice transducer on my fish finder and caught a couple of fish as well.
20220109_180322.jpg

2022 has started out a bit rough for me, but went to the pintail spot and had a great hunt.

So started out by jump shooting (from boat) this nice drake, wow what a pretty bird.

20220114_073009.jpg

Flushed some mallards there so set out a few decoys and waited. Shot a Mexican duck drake pretty quick, missed one other mallatd, then the action died. After a 5 hr wait (nowhere else to go) 4 mallards decoyed well, got a double, one was actually another Mexican duck drake. Both Mexican ducks showed some signs of hybridization with dark rump feathers. Then killed 2 out of the next 3 singles to fill out my limit. Also felt good to shoot well after a few mediocre trips. During the long lull I did let a redhead drake fly right over the decoys, so that was a minor screwup. He came in low like divers often do, and snuck up on me.

20220114_145438.jpg

20220114_145617.jpg

2022 has started out a bit rough for me, but went to the pintail spot and had a great hunt.

So started out by jump shooting (from boat) this nice drake, wow what a pretty bird.

View attachment 209021

Flushed some mallards there so set out a few decoys and waited. Shot a Mexican duck drake pretty quick, missed one other mallatd, then the action died. After a 5 hr wait (nowhere else to go) 4 mallards decoyed well, got a double, one was actually another Mexican duck drake. Both Mexican ducks showed some signs of hybridization with dark rump feathers. Then killed 2 out of the next 3 singles to fill out my limit. Also felt good to shoot well after a few mediocre trips. During the long lull I did let a redhead drake fly right over the decoys, so that was a minor screwup. He came in low like divers often do, and snuck up on me.

View attachment 209022

View attachment 209023
Look at that sprig, I’d say that’s wall material!!

Look at that sprig, I’d say that’s wall material!!

Yes, I was very close to saving him. But the boat is so cramped for space it's really hard to keep a duck in good shape, especially the first duck of the day. He also had a pellet right above his eyeball, maybe not a deal breaker but it did factor in the decision.

View attachment 209021

View attachment 209022

View attachment 209023
JESUS look at that sprig. And you jump shot it. Clean living right there

Had permission to a field with a ditch and cut corn on one side and beets on the other. Few ten thousand ducks and geese in there. Supposed to be 8 of us, neither of my daughters were up for the 4 am wake up/setup. Couple other guys called off sick. 3 of us Pulled in the field at 6am @ 26 degrees, farmer told us we could drive in but get out if it got warm. Ran the aframe from the ditch. Quill and band hunted the first hour then shot a quick 3 man. 44 degrees by 10 just as the ducks started coming in but we pulled it and got out. Decoys and boots covered in mud by the time we closed the trailer door. I got permission to the same field tomorrow but don’t think I’m even gonna go, tired of cleaning honkers and the field will be slop by the time the ducks fly. Supposed to do another 20 man hunt for the closer next week, hopefully the weather cools back off to keep it frozen .

725619B8-29B7-4F10-966C-6C3FC9C601FC.jpeg

JESUS look at that sprig. And you jump shot it. Clean living right there

I paddled around a corner with good cover and there he was at 25 yards, it was a perfect setup, dead meat. I had already passed up about 10 widgeon nearby because I was hoping/expecting a pintail or mallard to be in that spot. But I've had decent luck getting in range of pintails even when cover is sparse out in open water, I think this is the 3rd one I've jump shot this year, and the first two saw me coming. This lake usually has a lot of pintails so when conditions are right I just keep trying. Most days 90% or more will get up out of range, but if I get enough chances one will eventually screw up. Normally I'm lucky to get within 40 yards, but that's usually good enough.

Where I grew up pintails were the "genius" ducks that frustrated the Hell out of us. Of course they usually showed up in flocks of 20-30 birds, and we could NEVER get them to finish. After circling the decoys 5 or 6 times (and after doing that to every other blind on the lake) someone would loose their sanity and try a 60-70 yard shot. Curse words then echoed across the lake. We only seemed to shoot a few singles and pairs, if we were lucky.

But they seem to have a kink in their armor when they're loafing around, they are often one of the last ducks to take to the air when I'm sneaking around in my little boat. And I admit I'm usually specifically targeting them, passing up shots at other ducks until I get one. Perhaps there is some revenge
(?) involved for all of the times they humiliated me as a teenager 😃.

Had permission to a field with a ditch and cut corn on one side and beets on the other. Few ten thousand ducks and geese in there. Supposed to be 8 of us, neither of my daughters were up for the 4 am wake up/setup. Couple other guys called off sick. 3 of us Pulled in the field at 6am @ 26 degrees, farmer told us we could drive in but get out if it got warm. Ran the aframe from the ditch. Quill and band hunted the first hour then shot a quick 3 man. 44 degrees by 10 just as the ducks started coming in but we pulled it and got out. Decoys and boots covered in mud by the time we closed the trailer door. I got permission to the same field tomorrow but don’t think I’m even gonna go, tired of cleaning honkers and the field will be slop by the time the ducks fly. Supposed to do another 20 man hunt for the closer next week, hopefully the weather cools back off to keep it frozen .

View attachment 209116
I will pack the trailer and be there in roughly 18 hours

Venison sticks played a role in getting the banded cinnamon.
Brian dropped the bird dead in the thick cattails with bottomless mud. My dog Scoter looked for it but gave up easily, very unusual and unlike her. I felt like she didn't give it her all and she climbed back into the kayak and wouldn't be coached into trying again. So I pulled out a venison stick, took a bite in front of her and blew the smell in her face. I told her to go find the bird and she sprang into action with a 🔥 lit under her. Boom she found it.
When I went to give her a hug and venison stick I noticed a huge blood red cyst on her front paw. She was obviously bothered by it but for the reward she pushed through the pain. After that we called it a day to give her a rest.
IMG_20220112_183635_499.jpg

If I was leaving for a trip in 5 days. Whether you were serious or not I'd be standing on the throttle right know heading northwest.
Make it up to Montana some day and we will get after em. 2-3 days a week from first week of dec through the central flyway closer (usually 3rd week of January). We got some pretty epic spots.

This is the field we hunted this weekend.

A6B10851-2964-41D6-850C-5B55BDF2107A.jpeg

Make it up to Montana some day and we will get after em. 2-3 days a week from first week of dec through the central flyway closer (usually 3rd week of January). We got some pretty epic spots.

This is the field we hunted this weekend.

View attachment 209213
I'm gonna be reaching out to you next winter if I wind up home in Billings for any period of time.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back