Attaching Euro-mount to plaque

Bhoesl

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 11, 2016
Messages
257
Location
Lewistown MT
Just shot my first elk a couple weeks ago and took the head to a beetle place for a European mount, should be done in a few months. In the mean-time I’m wanting to start making the wooden plaque to mount it on. How does everyone attach their euro mounts to the plaque?
Thanks
 
Toggle bolt inside the skull screwed through the back of the plaque. Totally hidden from view and rock solid. I do a second one to keep it from twisting on the plate with the weight of the antlers.

I also did a french cleat with an aluminum hanger from Lowes so the plaque sits flush to the wall.

20181107_174819 (1).jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I really like the toggle bolt idea. Only euro mount I’ve done before was a deer and I just ran a drywall screw through the back of the plaque and into the skull, but wanted something better for this elk.
 
Toggle bolt inside the skull screwed through the back of the plaque. Totally hidden from view and rock solid. I do a second one to keep it from twisting on the plate with the weight of the antlers.

I also did a french cleat with an aluminum hanger from Lowes so the plaque sits flush to the wall.

View attachment 154739
I am really liking this design for the euro plaque! I want to do something like this for the CO elk I took last week. Would you be able to share the dimensions of the triangles? Is this black walnut wood? I'm thinking about using black walnut with a dark stain...TIA!
 
Personal opinion, I am not a pro painter: I think even a light urethane really brings out the depth of a dark walnut and a dark stain may be too dark on the overall product. Maybe do a test piece with different stains and see what you like best. Congrats on the elk!

I agree the triangles are sweet looking @grizzly_ !
 
I am really liking this design for the euro plaque! I want to do something like this for the CO elk I took last week. Would you be able to share the dimensions of the triangles? Is this black walnut wood? I'm thinking about using black walnut with a dark stain...TIA!
Thanks. I'll have to climb up and measure the pieces, I just made up the dimensions based on the skull size.

Yes, it's black walnut.
 
Make sure you put some sort of cloth or towel or something between the teeth and the plaque when you tighten down. Those teeth are sharp, and it’s more than a little disappointing when they scratch the crud outta your new plaque.
 
I use a bolt with a larger head such as a hex or carriage, with a nut in both side of the plaque to hold it in place. I break out the ear canals and wrap a couple wraps of baling wire through to secure it so it doesn’t slide off the bolt. If you are hanging the skull straight up and down with no angle on the plaque your hanging bolt will need to be pretty long. You could also get a larger head such skull hooker and affix that to your plaque. They work pretty good, hold it out from the wall and at a nice angle.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,102
Messages
2,249,841
Members
39,093
Latest member
other_waters
Back
Top