MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ask Randy - Arizona draw system

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
We're plowing through the states and the overview of how the drawing processes work. Each state has so many quirks it's hard to cover it all.

Arizona is due next week (Tuesday 2/10/15), so wanted to get this one up now. Below is the link to a thirteen minute video that is a quick overview of the Arizona system.

http://youtu.be/Vk0Hlpam_ZE

If you have budget, it is worth buying the license and purchasing a point for all the species you have interest. Pronghorn is such a long shot in AZ, you are almost asking to win the lottery. Elk, if you don't mind some crowds and hunting late in the year when elk are in their "survival" mode patters, can be had with single digit points. Some of the late elk hunts are 6 points to guarantee, with possibility of a random draw when you have even fewer points than that.

IMG_3394.JPG

These are great! Especially for a guy like me just starting out and trying to figure the systems out. Thanks for doing these, Randy.

Thanks for the reminder...ive got my points, i will sit this one and keep accumulating, in too deep to do a late season hunt now, but eagerly anticipating a rut hunt at some stage in the next 5 years...i hope

Thanks for taking the time to make that video, it was very helpful. Alot of us AZ residents still have a hard time figuring it out. I just got off the phone with AZ Game and Fish and got some more good info that may help the Non-Residents. My wife and I wanted to invite her uncle from CA to put in for Elk with us since we had such a good time on our deer hunt. Unfortunately, we will all be subject to the 10% cap with him on an app with us for Bull Elk. But I did find out that the 10% cap does not apply to the Antlerless hunts. So if you are a meat only hunter and want to come to AZ for some tasty Cow Elk you are not restricted by the cap. The person I spoke with said "It's that way because not too many hunters want to come to Arizona to hunt Cow." Which is true, but may help some in the same boat as us. I hope some find this useful.

Last edited:
Good segment Randy.

I see the Harvest information link on the AZ GFD . Did not see a link to any detailed information on odds of drawing by points, or minimum points for a 100% draw.

I'm guessing my 1 measly point isn't going to get me very far this year...

Good segment Randy.

I see the Harvest information link on the AZ GFD . Did not see a link to any detailed information on odds of drawing by points, or minimum points for a 100% draw.

I'm guessing my 1 measly point isn't going to get me very far this year...

If I understand it correctly, there is no minimum points for a 100% draw (for the most part) since it is a BONUS point system and not a PREFERENCE point system. Unless, like Randy said in the video, all the NR tags get picked up in the first draw where only the top point holders get a shot and they fill the "up to 10%" of NR tags. If that were the case then I would say in order to know that you have 100% odds you need to have maximum points. Otherwise you could get drawn with only 1 point because you are randomly assigned a number. That means that you do have a chance to get drawn over someone with 20 points if it so happens that you get the lowest number. Statistically your odds are lower because those people have 20 more chances than you to get that lower number, but you still have a shot. :hump:

gwhunter,

I believe that, technically, you are correct. But, I doubt there are units out there where someone with 20 points will not draw in the bonus pass and there will still be tags available to NR hunters after the bonus pass.

If the changes go through like they are talking about, your scenario would be more likely.

I sure wish I knew about Arizona elk 10 years ago!! The wait seems painfully long when you only have 2 points! Luckily, I'm not going after a glory unit so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

gwhunter,

I believe that, technically, you are correct. But, I doubt there are units out there where someone with 20 points will not draw in the bonus pass and there will still be tags available to NR hunters after the bonus pass.

If the changes go through like they are talking about, your scenario would be more likely.

I sure wish I knew about Arizona elk 10 years ago!! The wait seems painfully long when you only have 2 points! Luckily, I'm not going after a glory unit so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Ok cool. I guess my mindset was that unless you were constantly putting in for a OIL tag where all the tags were eaten up in the bonus pass, you still had a chance (insert dumb and dumber meme here) at getting a tag with 1 point compared to say, someone who had 10 for an easier to draw unit. Thanks for the confirmation!

As an example, for early rifle Elk, there was only 1 hunt code that had tags available for NR to draw in the 1-2 Pass, and there were 2 tags. Keep in mind that res and nr are not separated so you are competing against all other res/nr 1st and 2nd choices for those 2 tags. Your "odds" for one of those 2 tags was a little better than 1/1000 without regard to Bonus Points.

Back