MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Arrows

tmvikings

Currently shooting Beman ICS precision hunters 400 - Have a Mathew Triax bow 70lbs 28 1/2 draw 100-grain broadhead Wasp Drone - Thinking about going to Easton Injection 330 spine or the Black Eagle Rampage 300 spine- Thoughts on what arrow will be best overall. Hunt mostly Mule deer out west. Also thinking about going to a 4 fletch AAE Max Pro and Exodus broadhead or Hades Pro -
Thanks for any thoughts

Last edited:
Is your goal to bump up your arrow weight? The injexion is going to help you do that by 42.5 grains. I like a heavier/thinner arrow which will improve penetration, quiet your bow, tune easier, and buck the wind a little better. If you like the Black Eagle brand, check out their Renegade or Deep Impact arrows. They are more comparable with the Easton Injexion.

As for fletchings, try fletching half 3 vane and the other half 4. They will shoot differently, and 4 isn't always better. Once you figure out which your setup prefers, refletch the other 6.

I shoot 125grn Exodus heads with a 50grn insert. They tune really easily, and are a good head in my experience.

I like the Easton arrows and agree with MinnesotaHunter on preferring a heavier arrow. Although I shoot the easton fmj's for everything from antelope to mule deer. I also have the Triax at 70 lbs and 29" draw. Very similar setup.

I'm an Easton fan. But also check out day six arrows. I agree with Minnesotahunter that don't just assume more fletchings is going to be better. Although 4 fletch are nice for sight clearance since you shoot them in an X. The biggest advantage of a 4 fletch I think is that you can downsize your fletch overall size because you now have 4 instead of 3. You can get the same surface area with smaller vanes and less weight.

But if you are just hunting mule deer I personally don't think you need a super heavy arrow. I would go for a middle of the road weight arrow that would give you good penetration but also a decent trajectory. I would try to keep my speed around 280 no matter the weight. I don't like the 4mm shafts because of the outsert systems. The only one I have seen that I like is the day six system. Easton's 4mm outserts can bend easy and they can be difficult to get to spin true. But if you are buying new arrows and broadheads then you could just go with deep six inserts.

Hunting mule deer in the wide open dealing with some nasty crosswinds looking for good impact and penetration. Thanks for the advice above - Here is a rough chart of what I'm looking at would it make sense to go with the 400 injexion? Gain a little weight and smaller diameter arrow
GPIGrains estStraight
Beman ICS precision 3409.3260.40.0016.5mm
Beman ICS precision 4008.4235.20.0016.5mm
Easton Injexion 33010.2285.60.0034mm
Easton Injextion 4008.9249.20.0034mm

I don't know what length arrows you shoot. But if I assume 27.5 based on your 28.5" draw I would go with the injection 330. With a 50 grain deep six insert and a 100 grain head it'll put you at roughly 450grains and 15% foc which to me is a perfect mule deer setup. Also the 330 should spine out perfect in your setup.a 400 might be a little weak

Last edited:
Injection arrows are great for slicing through the wind and pack a helluva punch. However the last time I used them I ended going back to standard FMJs because there wasn’t a whole lot of broadheads available for the the deep six.

I don't know what length arrows you shoot. But if I assume 27.5 based on your 28.5" draw I would go with the injection 330. With a 50 grain deep six insert and a 100 grain head it'll put you at roughly 450grains and 15% foc which to me is a perfect mule deer setup. Also the 330 should spine out perfect in your setup.a 400 might be a little weak

Good advice right here. I also agree on 3 fletch vs. 4. More is not always better.

I'm a big fan of the Black Eagles. Great penetration with their 55 gr insert/outsert, you'd have to pay a little more for the inserts for the Eastons and pay more for the collars for the broadheads. Those inserts come with the Renegades, that's why I run them- cheaper and no need for the collars. I'll be using them this year for deer and Elk myself.

Back