Armadillos

Stocker

I’ve heard for years from my friends in Kansas that armadillos are making their way north. I never thought they’d survive our winters. I’ve been hearing of a few being spotted or hit on roads 40 miles south of me. I guess they’re here now found this one this morning. 42E55622-A592-4CB4-ABA0-C237A3B01B0B.jpeg

Started seeing a handful of them dead along roads in KY about 15 years ago. They are all over the place now.
I have only ever seen one alive

I swear to God, I saw one on the edge of Apache Junction, Arizona in December 2020. Nobody believes me.

I’ve heard for years from my friends in Kansas that armadillos are making their way north. I never thought they’d survive our winters. I’ve been hearing of a few being spotted or hit on roads 40 miles south of me. I guess they’re here now found this one this morning. View attachment 224251

If you dare to try to cross Iowa, you may find one along I-80. I spotted one there a few years ago about halfway from Des Moines to Omaha. I believe that is the furthest north they have been seen in Iowa. :)

PS. I don't think it cared how you pronounced its name.

If you dare to try to cross Iowa, you may find one along I-80. I spotted one there a few years ago about halfway from Des Moines to Omaha. I believe that is the furthest north they have been seen in Iowa. :)

PS. I don't think it cared how you pronounced its name.

I should have known the dang things came from Iowa…………

Just another reason to despise the place. 😂

I just traveled I40 from Virginia to Arizona. From Tennessee to New Mexico I bet I saw 500 hit on the roads.

I spotted one dead on I-80 near Kearney, NE a few years ago. My sleeping wife was less than impressed when I yelled "Holy S**T" and proceeded to pull over, run 100 yards back down the ditch and take a photo without any explanation to her on what had just happened before bailing out the driver's side door in the ditch. That incident spurred quite a bit of research into armadillos and marriage counselors for the rest of the drive.

"And more than likely they'll be out tonight a-wanderin' from the farms
Waddlin' down 1291 to keep their bodies warm
I'm talking walkin' belts and neckties and boots for rodeo
They don't run too fast, don't waste much gas, I'm makin' lots o'dough..."

I spotted one dead on I-80 near Kearney, NE a few years ago. My sleeping wife was less than impressed when I yelled "Holy S**T" and proceeded to pull over, run 100 yards back down the ditch and take a photo without any explanation to her on what had just happened before bailing out the driver's side door in the ditch. That incident spurred quite a bit of research into armadillos and marriage counselors for the rest of the drive.

I regret not doing exactly the same thing, but I was in the left lane, hauling and there was a steady stream of Nebraska plates dogging it in the right lane with the 'dillo on the right shoulder. Just couldn't get over without being rude to the slowpokes. (Stocker, next time, pick it up a bit).

I regret not doing exactly the same thing, but I was in the left lane, hauling and there was a steady stream of Nebraska plates dogging it in the right lane with the 'dillo on the right shoulder. Just couldn't get over without being rude to the slowpokes. (Stocker, next time, pick it up a bit).
Currently 11’11” wide weigh 108,000 and driving up the price of wood screws because I’m blowing doors off of Iowa peoples. 🤣D1F2454B-0CA7-4211-BB23-33E42800938E.jpeg4FFD25EB-1B0C-42A4-BF6A-EB392DEB7E9C.jpeg

Currently 11’11” wide weigh 108,000 and driving up the price of wood screws because I’m blowing doors off of Iowa peoples. 🤣View attachment 224257View attachment 224258
Yep, easy to do to parked cars when you are 11.11 wide. I see you were camping in the left lane, as so many truckers do, cutting off and boxing in those that are on the move.

Yep, easy to do to parked cars when you are 11.11 wide. I see you were camping in the left lane, as so many truckers do, cutting off and boxing in those that are on the move.
If by “camping” you mean showing Iowans who’s boss then yes. 🤣

Back