Caribou Gear Tarp

Arizona unit 27 late rifle 11pts

streamer

Well like last year trying to draw a late rifle hunt with 11pts. Toprut says 10 will do it but no luck last year. Is there something I am missing or a zone that would be a better draw. Want to go with rifle to up my odds with the years invested probably only be able to do this hunt one more time in my life at this rate. What are your thoughts. Thanks

You've got 2-3 years of guys ahead of you right now, plus 2 years to clear out everyone in your point pool. This is assuming nobody else with high points jumps in for 27, which is unlikely.

Toprut is showing 12% at 12 pts for Unit 27 late for 2020 for me. With creep I would guess even 13 points isn't going to be 100% this year.

With 11 points you are looking at units 10, 22 and 19a for the late hunt if you really want to go hunt this year.

Guess I may have to look into a different area. Just hate throwing the dart. When I first started applying this wasn’t so complicated

According to AZGF non-resident tags fill early, and
your draw chances diminish greatly. 11pts helps...
Call them at (602) 942-3000 and they will give you
the skinny. 💥

No need to call. It’s not complicated. Toprut tells you everything you need to know to make an informed decision. Either hope to get lucky with a random tag or apply for a unit the numbers say you should draw.

unit 27 has really struggled for a couple of years now as far as size of bulls. with the way things are going this winter, it looks like it will be another poor year. I could probably draw it as a resident this year but unless we start getting moisture in a hurry, i'll probably pass on it again. It is a fun hunt regardless but i wouldn't wait that long to chase around 300" busted up bulls. Precipitation in AZ seems to fluctuate a LOT more than most states. we have not really received any amount of moisture to help since last winter. We have not had a "monsoon" since 2018 but we had pretty good winters both years. If we don't start getting some snow soon and the monsoon does not hit again this summer, the wildlife in Arizona will be a in BAD shape. with that amount of points and depending on what type of hunt you are looking for, you might consider sitting out or applying for trophy hunts for a year or two to see how this drought plays out.

I often put in for the late 27 archery tag when my early docket is full. One day it may surprise me

Well like last year trying to draw a late rifle hunt with 11pts. Toprut says 10 will do it but no luck last year. Is there something I am missing or a zone that would be a better draw. Want to go with rifle to up my odds with the years invested probably only be able to do this hunt one more time in my life at this rate. What are your thoughts. Thanks
I think you're reading your toprut wrong.

Arizona doesn’t have a lot of late rifle hunts I’d wait a decade for. Typically the solid units are 23, 27 and 1. With so many bulls being killed in 27/1 since the wallow fire, the quality is definitely down. But the numbers are still pretty solid and the terrain is good for a late hunt.

The next tier of hunts is probably 10 and 6A. Either of those might be a good choice for you. The units are different. Unit 10 has much lower densities but it’s all glassable and the bulls can be solid. Unit 6A has many more elk but quality is usually lower, although big bulls can be found. The unit probably holds more elk than anywhere in the state but half of the unit is ponderosa stands that you can’t glass and the elk leave if there is any snow. But the canyons and the juniper country can hold elk late and can be glassed.

I could be wrong as Toprut is weird and I don’t have the Gohunt open, but I think you could do 10 as a first choice and 6A second and plan to go hunt this year.

Arizona doesn’t have a lot of late rifle hunts I’d wait a decade for. Typically the solid units are 23, 27 and 1. With so many bulls being killed in 27/1 since the wallow fire, the quality is definitely down. But the numbers are still pretty solid and the terrain is good for a late hunt.

The next tier of hunts is probably 10 and 6A. Either of those might be a good choice for you. The units are different. Unit 10 has much lower densities but it’s all glassable and the bulls can be solid. Unit 6A has many more elk but quality is usually lower, although big bulls can be found. The unit probably holds more elk than anywhere in the state but half of the unit is ponderosa stands that you can’t glass and the elk leave if there is any snow. But the canyons and the juniper country can hold elk late and can be glassed.

I could be wrong as Toprut is weird and I don’t have the Gohunt open, but I think you could do 10 as a first choice and 6A second and plan to go hunt this year.
If you put a unit as your second choice, that you have the points to draw in the bonus point round, you automatically get it without ever being in the random draw for your 1st choice.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back