Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Arizona Online Apps Open

I am one the fence bout my long shot archery elk draw, the late sept dates will make it tough to squeeze in before my moose hunt. Lope which I won’t draw anyway I could fit in right after my CO hunt or maybe on the way home and double up. I’d hate to not have my name in the hat for an AZ elk draw but other then a late archery tag I can’t work the date. The success and rates and reports on the late Archery hunts are abysmal so I think I will spare myself that much. Looks like I buy a elk point for AZ and add it to pile.

I'll be applying for something. Just don't know what yet. On the bubble for a few of the top late rifle elk hunts. Some days I want to apply for one of those and the next, I feel like waiting a few more years for a mid tier archery tag.

Can you just buy points there?Do you still need to purchase a license to buy points?This is my 1st year entering in Arizona

Yes a license is required.

I'd wait for a while if I had to buy the license. If you buy it toward the end of the month, you will be able to use it for next years applications since it is good for 365 days from date of purchase.

I'd wait for a while if I had to buy the license. If you buy it toward the end of the month, you will be able to use it for next years applications since it is good for 365 days from date of purchase.

I hope I am wrong but I am almost certain you will need a new lic each year. I believe an active lic is required on the date of the drawing which is in April. Please prove me wrong because I am about to buy a lic for my 9th point!

I know a 365 day lic is good in Utah for 2 years of drawing. Wish I knew about Nevada. I think 2018 was the first year of teh 365 day lic.

I hope I am wrong but I am almost certain you will need a new lic each year. I believe an active lic is required on the date of the drawing which is in April. Please prove me wrong because I am about to buy a lic for my 9th point!

I know a 365 day lic is good in Utah for 2 years of drawing. Wish I knew about Nevada. I think 2018 was the first year of teh 365 day lic.

Yeah my mistake. Confusing the two states there. I guess that's what happens when you start buying too many points in too many states. Arizona requires purchase every year as the license has to be valid until the end of the application period according to what I just reread on the regs

To clarify.........

You can use the license for two years if you apply for Elk/Antelope, because the license is good for 365 days, and the app period closes one day earlier every year for 7 years, then kicks back and the cycle starts over again. Last years license purchased on Feb 13 is valid on the last day of the 2019 app period, Feb 12. If you draw, you will need to buy another license because you need a valid license to hunt, which is not the case in Utah. If you choose to span two years you will want to be aware of the year that the dates jump back, a few years from now.
So, buy your license and apply on Feb 12, and it will be good for next year as well.

Last edited:
To clarify.........

You can use the license for two years if you apply for Elk/Antelope, because the license is good for 365 days, and the app period closes one day earlier every year for 7 years, then kicks back and the cycle starts over again. Last years license purchased on Feb 13 is valid on the last day of the 2019 app period, Feb 12. If you draw, you will need to buy another license because you need a valid license to hunt, which is not the case in Utah. If you choose to span two years you will want to be aware of the year that the dates jump back, a few years from now.
So, buy your license and apply on Feb 12, and it will be good for next year as well.

Excellent! Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I purchased my license on January 30 last year. You can bet I'll get it on the 12th this year though.

The kicker is that if you plan to apply for deer or sheep, you will still have to buy a license. Although without looking at it or doing the math, maybe you could get away with buying two licenses in a three year period.

Thanks for the reminder. I went in and purchase elk and pronghorn bonus points for my son. But then looking at the pronghorn draw odds don’t think I’ll buy these points again, crazy odds! Better to head to WY for my son. Unless I have missed something.

Thanks for the reminder. I went in and purchase elk and pronghorn bonus points for my son. But then looking at the pronghorn draw odds don’t think I’ll buy these points again, crazy odds! Better to head to WY for my son. Unless I have missed something.

agree! I started applying for AZ because of elk. Only apply for other species because I already have the license. Once (if) i draw elk then I will stop applying for the others unless I decide to jump back into the Elk pool for a 2nd round.

Back