Arizona Mule Deer

Ryan91027

Im entering my senior year of high school and for a graduation present, my mom and I have been discussing a western hunt in 2021. I live in south Florida so and have been hunting tiny deer in the swamp and have no experience in western states. I have put in a good bit of research and decided on Mule Deer in Arizona. I dont care about getting a monster buck but would rather get a small one than nothing. I have been looking at unit 36c because I was told on another forum that was a good area, what are your opinions on that? not looking for anyone's secret spot but a general area would be appreciated. I would prefer a rifle hunt as I have a 270 with a 3.5x10 scope, is that enough magnification? I would take an otc archery if I dont draw a rifle tag. Any necessary gear or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: LCH
Welcome to hunt talk. I think that unit is probably ok--though probably no monsters there, and reported success rates are not what I would call high. That said, your options are limited if you have no preference points built up, and I think your draw odds for that unit are about 30% or so depending on which rifle season you're looking at. So I might go ahead and plan for an OTC archery tag.

The rifle/scope you mention is more than adequate for a mule deer.

Again, welcome and good luck.

You'll probably see some tiny deer in the rocks, about the same size of your Florida deer. I've not hunted there but I have next door, for Coues though.

I do wonder what led you to zero in on that area for mulies, other than that other forum?

As far as equipment, I think your rifle/scope should be fine. I'd have decent binos with a tripod and clothes that buck thorns.

Good luck with your planning, hope you have a good hunt!

I had been planning on a Wyoming pronghorn hunt because of the high success and easy hunting but I just wasnt super enthusiastic about the hunt. I then learned that you can get otc archery in Arizona, so if I dont draw a rifle, I could still hunt. Arizona is not too far away like Montana and not as cold or high in altitude like Colorado. Im not too attached to that unit though, I just thought it would be easier to draw than a unit more north

Reactions: LCH
Not all of Colorado is high and cold, especially during archery. But I'm not trying to dissuade you from your spot, I love southern Arizona in late fall.

Let us know how you do!

Hola Ryan. We live in unit 34a and I'm dialed in on how to hunt the mule deer here. Only took me 4 years lol. The bucks are very cagey prior to the rut. Once the archery draw hunters come in they bug out to their hidey holes and will not be seen again in daylight, unless you know where to look. I consistently find some really nice sheds from big bucks. I sit on a 3sq mile hunting "preserve" which no one goes into except my son and I. Its not easy country but I now get on them with regularity despite the locals telling me its impossible to hunt. The January otc archery is the best weather imo. Too hot in the late august-sept hunt. Put in for the 1056 rifle and the 1185 muzzy next year and pm me then. Buena suerte! (y)

Do I have a decent chance of drawing those hunts? Or abouth the same as the surrounding units? What kind of clothing would I need, just some thick pants, a long sleeve shirt and a sweater; or will I need more layers? Theres still a long time before I can apply and I want to start gathering gear

Do I have a decent chance of drawing those hunts? Or abouth the same as the surrounding units? What kind of clothing would I need, just some thick pants, a long sleeve shirt and a sweater; or will I need more layers? Theres still a long time before I can apply and I want to start gathering gear

There were only 25 tags for each of those hunts offered. IDK why so few. Population I guess. The 34a Coues tags numbered 2000 spread out over 4 hunts. You'd draw one of those sure. We have them dialed in as well. Easier to hunt those, they're kinda dumb. Hunting down on the flats and playas you have to have snake boots. Not so much for snakes but for all the cholla and cactus. If you're always looking where you're stepping you're not hunting. The mulies slip out and you never see them. In the mtns you have to dress warmer but down on the playa its moderate for the most part.

It can be seriously cold on windy, early mornings behind the glass. A good base layer and durable pants for thorns, short sleeve top with some kind of outer layer you can add/remove as needed, tough/warm gloves, neck gaiter and hat is what I've worn down there.

You camping or staying somewhere?

Nothing is set but most likely camp. Also this might seem like a dumb question, but does Onx show the unit boundaries?

Don’t know much about Arizona but you could also buy a point for Wyoming or Montana this year and draw with a better chance at muley buck

Good luck at whatever you choose!

Don’t know much about Arizona but you could also buy a point for Wyoming or Montana this year and draw with a better chance at muley buck

Good luck at whatever you choose!
Montana is too far and I think ill stick with arizona over Wyoming, thanks though

The AZ mule deer live in the low desert flats. It is a glass and stalk operation. Be ready to sit behind optics for a long time.

In my opinion, you should enlist the help of a professional team. Dwyane Adams offers free glassing lessons to young hunters. Perhaps you could work something out with him. You obviously have the desire to learn and people respond well to that. Guides are relatively cheap in AZ because it's all public land and outfitters do not need to lease land like in many places and pass that cost to hunters. The guide can tell you what unit to apply for based on your circumstances.

There were only 25 tags for each of those hunts offered. IDK why so few. Population I guess. The 34a Coues tags numbered 2000 spread out over 4 hunts. You'd draw one of those sure. We have them dialed in as well. Easier to hunt those, they're kinda dumb. Hunting down on the flats and playas you have to have snake boots. Not so much for snakes but for all the cholla and cactus. If you're always looking where you're stepping you're not hunting. The mulies slip out and you never see them. In the mtns you have to dress warmer but down on the playa its moderate for the most part.
Finally, someone who isn't enamored with coues deer lol. Thought I was the only one who is unimpressed with the hoopla.

Good luck kid, Az is an amazing place to hunt, and there's lots of animals if you know where and how to look for them. Honestly, I'd find a unut with an okay success rate and a high draw odd. If you're passionate and hunt as hard as you can, you'll find an animal to stalk.

How big of a pack should I get? And how much water should I bring, in Florida I am chest deep sometimes so we never worry about running out but what about the desert?

Depends on what type of hunting you're doing. I'd truck camp and stay mobile. Bring 1.5- 2 liters in with you and you'll be fine. I hunted many years in Az with large Alice pack, something in the 3000 ci range is plenty to pack out a mule deer

I want to go with a larger pack so I can carry around both mine and some of my moms gear, would a 4500 be too large. Keep in mind that I am a pretty big guy and can carry a good bit of weight

Most big packs from the better brands pack down to nothing. I use a 6900 for everything from walking an hour to check a trail cam to a 12 day backpack hunt.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back