Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Are you a Long-Range (shooter) or Closer Range?

I don't like to shoot unwounded game past 375 or so, and only then (a) I feel I have to, its my only opportunity(money hunts i.e Exotics and Plains Game) and (b) I have a solid shooting position. I "prefer" 150yds/closer. Out West, my "averages" are 171yds on 4 elk, and 75yds on a half dozen mule deer. Have shot 8 pronghorn from 50yds to 350. Averaged around 200yds. ( I freely admit to being "spooked" by unseen wind! I hate it since I'm no good at judging it!) I shoot rocks out to 1000 with my Marine SIL ( just to show him Army can shoot too! :)) Myself, I really feel LR (over 350 or so) is for shooting Communists and Jihadi's, Game animals garner more respect for me, just my personal views/opinions. To each his own...:)

Last month, I went Texas for Aoudad hunt, we spotted an Aoudad at 250 yards and my guide help me to get 200 yards. I took one good placement shot, and he felt off from the mountain.
I saw a video, hunter shoot an elk at 700 yards with 6.5 PRC, I don’t believe it.
I shot an elk at 670yds with a 6.5-257AI. I don’t know why you wouldn’t believe it. I’m not advocating one way or the other, but it’s not something that should result in disbelief.

Last edited:
I prefer to keep my shots as close as possible. However sometimes situations don’t allow that. However regardless of the situation I won’t go past 300. I don’t have easy access to a range longer than that. With no way to regularly practice farther I won’t shoot farther.

I saw a youtube video where a guy shot at an elk from about 700 yards away and one of the bullets didn't break through the front shoulder and lodged in the hide. It barely expanded. that was pretty eye-opening to me. do you think he chose the wrong bullet for that type of shot or the kinetic energy would have been problematic regardless of bullet type at that distance?
I have no idea my friend, all games I killed 180 gr Accubond within 400 yards pass through!

Born and raised in Upstate NY, using shotgun slugs 50 yards was about max until rifled shotgun barrels and sabots. Went to around 100 yards then. Now that I live out west I use a range that has a 200 max distance. I now know I can shoot out to 200 yards. I might push it to 300 yards but until I have access to a range where I can shoot out past 300, 300 is my maximum and honestly I would prefer to stalk to within 200 yards if I can.

Bowhunters usually need to get at least within 40 yards (generally) or closer. If they can be successful closing to within that range as a rifle hunter, who used to bow hunt, I better be able to get within 200 yards.

While it typically applied to training for sports, long technical climbs, fights, etc. I like the mindset of making your training or practice harder than the real thing may be. Meaning, practice shooting in various positions at the range, really stretch your shots and understand the caliber/scope while at the range, and don't beat yourself up if you are not some long range "sniper".
I enjoy shooting at the range out to about 550, but have yet to take an animal at that range. I doubt I ever will, or need to. I have not yet in 34 years. The farthest I have taken an animal was a mule deer at 406 yards. Most shots are 250 or under. But, gaining the confidence in your gun and ability at the range under all sorts of tricky, awkward scenarios makes those 250 yard shots (or 30-40 yard shots with a bow) feel that much easier.

It is my preference, as I don't find any appeal in lobbing rounds out to 600, 700 or beyond at a live animal. It doesn't feel like hunting anymore. Be confident in your shooting and your limits, whatever they may be and stick to them.

While it typically applied to training for sports, long technical climbs, fights, etc. I like the mindset of making your training or practice harder than the real thing may be. Meaning, practice shooting in various positions at the range, really stretch your shots and understand the caliber/scope while at the range, and don't beat yourself up if you are not some long range "sniper".
I enjoy shooting at the range out to about 550, but have yet to take an animal at that range. I doubt I ever will, or need to. I have not yet in 34 years. The farthest I have taken an animal was a mule deer at 406 yards. Most shots are 250 or under. But, gaining the confidence in your gun and ability at the range under all sorts of tricky, awkward scenarios makes those 250 yard shots (or 30-40 yard shots with a bow) feel that much easier.

It is my preference, as I don't find any appeal in lobbing rounds out to 600, 700 or beyond at a live animal. It doesn't feel like hunting anymore. Be confident in your shooting and your limits, whatever they may be and stick to them.
Today too many folks shoot beyond 600 yards ON YOUTUBE!

My hard stop is 400 yards and that is a last resort. I’m loathe to go bound 300 unless I have to. I always try my best to get within 250 if at all possible. It becomes a statisticians game at some point - are the odds of me spooking it higher than me making a poor a shot. Either way, the odds should be at least a 90% success rate IMO

This is a very personal choice. My hard limit is 400m and my longest animal taken was an antelope at 390m. Personally I feel past this range I am entering into simply long range shooting and not giving what I consider respect to the game. I can't tell others where to draw their line but that is mine. These last few months I have spent time behind some sweet shooting systems and have been successful out to 1000yds.....has changed my mind a single iota.

Practice makes perfect. Shooting small critters at long distances will improve your shooting skills substantially. 400 yards isn’t really that far...

C1A43328-AC30-43F9-A6B9-FAACC0F7CEB3.jpegFF6FDBE9-FDEC-4D8C-BD1F-DB3E12043DCA.jpeg

I never shoot beyond 350 yards. I like to get as close as I possibly can to what I'm trying to shoot. Plus I love seeing animals up close. I know a lot of hunters prefer shooting 600-900+ yards. Maybe that's what you prefer. Do you prefer short shots or do you covet the long-range sniper approach?
I would say that people will shoot an animal at any range these days. Depends truly on the shooter and the practice laid down before hand. I do like your mindset in that you want to see animals up closer to witness their behavior. I believe that helps with your connection you have with your food. Good on ya!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back