Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Are you a Long-Range (shooter) or Closer Range?

matechakeric

I never shoot beyond 350 yards. I like to get as close as I possibly can to what I'm trying to shoot. Plus I love seeing animals up close. I know a lot of hunters prefer shooting 600-900+ yards. Maybe that's what you prefer. Do you prefer short shots or do you covet the long-range sniper approach?

Last edited:
I prefer not to shoot at games beyond 400 yards.
I saw a youtube video where a guy shot at an elk from about 700 yards away and one of the bullets didn't break through the front shoulder and lodged in the hide. It barely expanded. that was pretty eye-opening to me. do you think he chose the wrong bullet for that type of shot or the kinetic energy would have been problematic regardless of bullet type at that distance?

I saw a youtube video where a guy shot at an elk from about 700 yards away and one of the bullets didn't break through the front shoulder and lodged in the hide. It barely expanded. that was pretty eye-opening to me. do you think he chose the wrong bullet for that type of shot or the kinetic energy would have been problematic regardless of bullet type at that distance?
Last month, I went Texas for Aoudad hunt, we spotted an Aoudad at 250 yards and my guide help me to get 200 yards. I took one good placement shot, and he felt off from the mountain.
I saw a video, hunter shoot an elk at 700 yards with 6.5 PRC, I don’t believe it.

I can’t say I’ve ever really killed anything over 400 yds. Didn’t start carrying a range finder till 2 years ago. The only thing I’ve really had trouble with at times, is late season cow elk. But usually a guy can figure it out.

Being new here I hate to get in the middle of this but I can’t help myself I’m a firm believer there is a huge difference between long range shooting over 500 yards and hunting. Just turning a turret to harvest a animal long range just doesn’t work for me. I’m not against technology within reason but when does it stop taking the hunting skills away. I’m all for more and older age class critters and if we all got back to hunting instead of shooting it could help achieve that.

Being new here I hate to get in the middle of this but I can’t help myself I’m a firm believer there is a huge difference between long range shooting over 500 yards and hunting. Just turning a turret to harvest a animal long range just doesn’t work for me. I’m not against technology within reason but when does it stop taking the hunting skills away. I’m all for more and older age class critters and if we all got back to hunting instead of shooting it could help achieve that.
i agree with your mindset 100%. I too love closer shots. but I'm sure there are countless people who say rifle hunting at 300 is not muzzleloader shooting at 100 yards or archery at 45

Last edited:
Farthest shot ever for me was 383 yards this year. Couldn’t get any closer. I’d rather be close but I’d also love the ability to shoot 600 yards. Never know when that opportunity of a lifetime presents itself

I might would shoot out to 400 with ideal conditions, but generally would try to get 300 or less. Last 2 critters I killed were deer at 75 and 30 yds respectively.
Thats where I’m at also. I’m just saying that 500 and beyond is not for me. I’m not trying to diminish the skill of those folks that can make those shots. they are skilled. It’s just not at the top of my hunting skill set to work on. my son who turns 40 in may is into that. he has been trying to shoot a deer here at our farm out to 650 yards for years but mean old dad just says no. Ironically all the critters we’ve killed out west have been 330 or less.

Furthest shot on game was just over 400 years ago.. Today my hard limit is 400 yards and the circumstances need to line up for me to consider any shot over 300. That's just my comfort limit.. Not speaking to ethical limits.

I shoot lots, over 1000 rounds per year of high power rifles and 2-3k a year of rimfire ammo

I have my own personal 600 yard range and shoot often out to that limit.. I shoot with lots of friends most shoot far less than I do and it shows..

I like to get as close as possible. 350 or closer is what I’d prefer. I do practice a lot and have taken animals out to 700, but would rather cut the distance and get close. I opted not to shoot at a cow this year in windy conditions at 400 yards, couldn’t get steady enough to feel confident. Managed to sneak into 100 yards for a confident shot.

Always close if I can but will go out a ways if need be. Most shots end up in the 300 range. 2 years ago I missed an elk at 75’ She was standing behind a tree and I hit a big branch. Last year year I shot a cow at over 400 so go figure.
To me it’s about the shot. I would prefer 200 or under but I am comfortable out to 500 Depends on angle of shot, wind and visibility. I have shot one elk over 500 ( 542) But it stood there looked at me, begging to get shot. Perfect broadside, no wind, perfect light and I had a perfect rest. So I did. Perfect everything and perfect result. But I have passed on lots of shots at 200 that were not right.

Lol.that’s what I’m talking about funny story I actually finished off two whitetails with knife over the years. One was mine round ball flintlock hit wasn’t going anywhere but wouldn’t die fast enough the other was a friends bow hit

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back