PEAX Equipment

Are we really fighting Dataism?

I think what I’m seeing more and more of is people doing something not because of a genuine interest in the experience but rather for the reaction the experience will get when it is documented and sharred with their network of “friends”.
Isn't that HT in a nutshell? I mean I have very few real friends that hunt and fish and care about conservation like you bunch-o-bastards do. So if I take my kids chukar hunting, almost no one in my circle of peeps has a friggin' clue what that means, how much effort is involved, or how much groundwork it took to get there; years worth. Do I need people to know how hard something is in order to want to do it, not necessarily, but I do enjoy occasionally having someone recognize hard work.

As I write it, it's fairly similar to the current trend of telling your employees how good they're going instead of criticizing their mistakes. There's a lot of truth in it, but it can be overused. I'm generally with @Nameless on this, nuance is the key.

Isn't that HT in a nutshell? I mean I have very few real friends that hunt and fish and care about conservation like you bunch-o-bastards do. So if I take my kids chukar hunting, almost no one in my circle of peeps has a friggin' clue what that means, how much effort is involved, or how much groundwork it took to get there; years worth. Do I need people to know how hard something is in order to want to do it, not necessarily, but I do enjoy occasionally having someone recognize hard work.

As I write it, it's fairly similar to the current trend of telling your employees how good they're going instead of criticizing their mistakes. There's a lot of truth in it, but it can be overused. I'm generally with @Nameless on this, nuance is the key.
The more I think about it I believe my motivation to share hunting stories with complete strangers on the internet is due to the fact that many of you understand and share the same addiction I have with spending time in the outdoors. I find it quite enjoyable to read about other people's hunts while I'm at home or having a slow day in the office. I'm thankful for the guys that share and post things. I also agree that very few of my close family/friends really like to hunt at the level and quantity I do. I enjoy documenting things and it's nice to share with a community that "gets it".

I think that portion of the book is really relevant and makes me aware of the impact of algorithms and optimized content. I've basically stopped using all other forms of SM as they feel very artificial and almost re-shape your reality into something that isn't. I think a true litmus test is, if HT or FB or IG or any other form of "post it for likes" vanished tomorrow, I'd still be planning my next adventure therefore I think it's an authentic part of who I am. I could see myself wanting to document and post more content in a hunting specific form with people that share in the same interests and post stories of their experience. I guess when I read that section, I really got to thinking about what motivated me to post stuff on the internet in general...

exactly

yes they are - but Man has been sharing hunting stories around the campfire since he learned to communicate,,, the internet is just another version of "the campfire"
Sure, but it's a fire a thousand times as big, which creates its own problems.

I get that. I just think experiences kept to oneself are just as valuable as those shared.
My experience on solo adventures is where I gained confidence my skill set was diverse and quite adequate. My experience coaching others at work and on adventures is where I felt very inspired as a giver to others. My experience as a teammate or apprentice is when I learned to be humble and take direction.

Now, I am comfortable in all the above roles and often switch hats multiple times a week.

Some of my most intense memories arise out of me vs. the mountain with no one watching. I find it hard to explain some of these memories to someone that was not there. Sometimes the challenges of the moment do not translate much less the views from up high, discomfort after days in a tent, aromas of the woods and failing hygiene, the pain of muscles and joints, and overcoming obstacles as remain nimble of mind and foot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back