Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Are Pigs Big Game? Information requested, please. Looking at a hunt.

D4570

Does anyone know anything about this Outfitter?
He is small but sounds like the, we hunt and fairly inexpensive, $400 a day per person.
AND, it's "Only" 26 hours from my house, they have the last 3 weeks in February open.
Any info is appreciated.

My guess is that time period between noon and 3pm where no one is hunting, they are dumping previously trapped pigs into a high fence area with a feeder. Everyone I know who has done a $400/day hog hunt gets set in a blind, looking at a feeder, waiting for pigs to show up. And 9 times out of 10, those pigs have been dumped into that specific area from a trailer and can't get out of that area. It might be a big enough area to do some spot and stalk, but they are generally pretty "canned" hunts when its $400/day. The outfitter gets paid once by a landowner to trap the pigs, then paid again by hunters who kill them and take them off his hands. That's why they can offer the hunting at such a relatively low price.

That's not my personal experience with the above mentioned outfitter, just what this deal could be. Which is perfectly fine if that is what you are looking for. No judgement here. I would just get some more detail on the hunting area you have access too so you don't show up to be disappointed.

I'm in one of the states that have no pigs, In fact, Montana has a law on the box that makes it illegal to shoot Farail pigs. So I'm very green as a pig hunter.
I may not know a legit pig hunt if I saw one. That's why I'm asking. I have been in contact with several places across the country most sound like "Canned" hunts and are WAY more money and charge by the hog pulse trophy charges if you shoot a big one. What should I be looking for?
I want it as DIY as I can. I want to drive to it places like Florida and Georgia are farther than I want.

My guess is that time period between noon and 3pm where no one is hunting, they are dumping previously trapped pigs into a high fence area with a feeder. Everyone I know who has done a $400/day hog hunt gets set in a blind, looking at a feeder, waiting for pigs to show up. And 9 times out of 10, those pigs have been dumped into that specific area from a trailer and can't get out of that area. It might be a big enough area to do some spot and stalk, but they are generally pretty "canned" hunts when its $400/day. The outfitter gets paid once by a landowner to trap the pigs, then paid again by hunters who kill them and take them off his hands. That's why they can offer the hunting at such a relatively low price.

That's not my personal experience with the above mentioned outfitter, just what this deal could be. Which is perfectly fine if that is what you are looking for. No judgement here. I would just get some more detail on the hunting area you have access too so you don't show up to be disappointed.
What you are describing would be illegal in Texas. Doesn’t sound very practical either.

I glanced at their website and it seems fairly legit. That area of Texas does have a lot of pigs that run up and down the Sabine river.

There are tons of feral hog hunts in Texas that are not put and take. Days of trapping and releasing hogs behind a high fence are getting less and less. Hogs are well dispersed across the state.
Most charge a higher fee because they know hogs will be taken and they have expenses for feed and blinds.
Yes, plenty of put and take hunts are out there but lots of free range hunts to be had.
Hogs are not moved across the state like they used to be. Only males can be trapped and relocated to hunting preserves. Lots of regs now on moving them around.

Not sure now but feral hogs in Texas used to be considered just hogs as far as domestic or feral. If they were caught live and quarantined until they are determined to be disease free they could be sold as pork commercially after USDA inspection.

Look over on Texas Hunting Forum, outfitters advertise hunts there sometimes.

Not familiar with the McCune ranch but sounds like free range hogs and the weekend packages sounds pretty good.
I would say outfits that have limits are not folks with hog problems but may be put and take type hunts- not all are though.
Most folks selling hog hunts that have issues with too many have no limits on take.

Lots of hunts up along the Red River in North Texas too if the drive is a bit far for the rest of the state.

There are plenty of public hogs within 2 hours of the Atlanta airport.

They are not considered big game in SC. Just need the regular hunting license without the big game endorsement and you can hunt them 365 days a year no bag limit, there is also a night season part of the year....I dont eat them if they are over 200lbs, rutted up, or been feeding on dead carcasses or beeb feeding out of a dump. I prefer the 90ish lb whole roaters...Last two I shot were nasty rutted up didnt even process them...Honestly if you want just the meat..save yourself the drive and buy a hog from a local farmer.

Have fun and tell us about the hunt...pigs in front of the gun are big time excitement.

Feral hogs are great eating, haven't left one laying on the ground in years, maybe never. Unless you shoot a 250 lb boar they will be great eating.
You'll know the stink when you walk up on a boar that will not be going into the cooler.
Lots of folks wash the mud off before processing too.
Wear gloves for gutting.

I have hunted Texas twice and the above is what happens although pigs are not brought in every day. It's not a real hunt but is fun as heck once you realize and accept the reality of the situation. Spot n stalk mid day is a blast.
We hunted Dos Plumas and have never heard of a bad experience. $550 2 days, 2 pigs.

Plenty of places to get a real hunt in, not all are put and take by far.
Hogs are smart and wary, bad eye sight but their nose is amazing.
Got skunked last spring down on the family place but hoping to get a hunt in when we go down for the eclipse next April.

You need to try thermal hunting if possible.

Stuart Ranch in OK had some good looking boar hunts in the past. Free range, not put and take.

Further but this guy has a good rep. : https://www.westtexashunt.com/hog-hunts

These folks are up near where my family is from, no experience with them but should be plenty of free range hogs. They are East of where we hunt now along the Red: https://www.swampnastyoutfitters.com/north-texas-hog-hunts/

First off, Hats off to our outfitter. Duane McCune, McCune Ranch Outfitters.
It's mostly a one-man operation, but he helped us with everything. It is a free-range hunt, all wild pigs Very inexpensive no limit no extra fees no trophy fees. Of course, there is no guarantee pigs. It's a 3-hunter limit we had 4, there is a nice clubhouse and a 4-bed cabin. All in all very comfortable even in the 27* nights that we had. The hunts start at around 5 pm and go to around 1 am. Then if you want day spot and stock hunts 9 am to whenever you want to stop. OK now remember you're on your own it's DIY hunting. There is a swamp that runs the length of the ranch. he has many feeding stations all with blinds and comfy chairs. In our case, he also had propane heaters in them too. He watches game cameras everywhere and watches them to find the best chance set up. we hunted 3 blinds a night and all different setups each day. This is as close to DYI as we could ask for. He even let one of us use his thermal set op on a 300 blackout. We could hear pigs at most of the sets and there was new pig sign every day all over the ranch. OK here is what we ran into. On the extremely long drive, over 1600 miles one-way, there was snow mostly on the side of the roads but it was snow. Even in DALLAS I never knew it snowed in Texas. We were 80 miles east of there, the local river was flooding highs in the high 30s. And WIND it was like being at home 30/40 mph. The alligators in the swamp did not show themselves much because of the cold. It was a good thing we packed like Montanans, plenty of warm stuff parkas, and mittens. We hunted 12 hours a day. It was great and we plan another trip maybe in a year or two. The feeders have green lights that run on low all night, then motion would turn them to high. You don't need light on your gun but it really helps, we all do on all our guns. We took the boy's Tundra with a topper, in the back we had our arsenal, two rifles, and a pistol for each of us, and 50 rounds for each. the rest was filled with coolers, big coolers, and small coolers, before we left I made arrangements for freezer lockers for the pork when we got back.
I can't say this enough it was a great 3 1/2 days of hunting In land I have never seen, even the 6-day drive (round trip) was fun, most of the time. I have postponed the big reveal as long as I can here it is.
TA-DA!

YUP Nothing we never fired a shot, I never saw a pig.
I do have a few more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20240221_114256.jpg
    IMG_20240221_114256.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Sounds like the weather was your foe, hogs hate the cold. They pile up to keep warm and activity is not normal.
Sorry you had no luck, they are a blast to hunt.
Also sounds like you found a good place, not put and take but hunting.

Wish you had some of that great wild pork to taste, it is good.

There are plenty of pigs on public within 2 hours or less of the Atlanta airport. You got mountains to the north and swamp to the South. You can kill them in small game season with muzzleloaders, magnum rimfires and archery tackle. Please come kill all of them.

Not being successful and having a good hunt and time speaks far more to potential clients vs someone going and shooting a ton of pigs and everything else being subpar.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy
Back