Archery Bear........

D

Deerslayer

Here is my archery bear this season in Co....
archerybear.jpg

MAN.. you have a Sabatical from HuntTalk.com and come back with all the creatures of the West. Kudos on the bear !!!

What is that saying Moose Man?......."you can't be huntin' if you are spending all huntin'season on the 'puter"...

It has been an ordeal to travel the 1100- 1300 miles west for each trip, not to mention costly. It definitely is no longer convienient. But I can't see an end in it anytime soon....
wink.gif

DS, very nice bear. Some details would really be nice. Were you intentionally hunting bear or was it more of a side jaunt to another hunt? Did you see any other bears? Hey I don't see any rope burns
biggrin.gif

Darnit Big Sky.....you guys with all the history lessons are hard to run from
wink.gif
...noper, no rope burns.

Buzz and I had just finished a week long bowhunt in Noertern Wyoming for elk in which we were shut out by 80 degree temps and a burned up terrain......I then left there and went down to CO to hunt bears for a week. It only took 3 days before I found this cinnamon I liked very much. I have killed larger bears in AK, but he is nice for the runts I normally see in CO. After living in CO, I know a few good spots for bears, mostly in the lower southeastern part of the state. I stalked within 20 yards of him, came to full draw as he fed towards me. Before I could get him to turn, he spotted me and bluff charged, wagging his head side to side in a lumbering fashion, then chomping his teeth. After about a 5 minute stand off, he chose to climb a big pine tree.....up about 20 yards or so......a deadly mistake. My broadhead found his heart as he hung away from the tree with a growl......withing 10 seconds of impact, he lay dead on the ground at my feet. It felt like a lion hunt at that point with the whole "shoot him out of the tree deal". I would much rather he had stayed on the ground. His teeth were rotted out on both sides halfway back...it was praobably his last year. He was old and I was tired.....so we agreed on a settlment
wink.gif

All in all it was a great hunt to an otherwise disappointing couple of weeks. Things really picked up from there though....seeing me connect on a nice Pronghorn, Muledeer and elk. A slow start to a good season......
Thanks for the interest...
DS

Thanks Slayerman. Sounds like a slow start but you more than made up for it with the bear, lopes, deer, and elk. That is a really good looking bear by the way. Did you see any other bears on that trip?

I did see a few other bears, but nothing worth getting excited over. The blackies just don't get as big in Co /Wyo as they do in Alaska.

I have a spring bear hunt set for the first of June to Prince William Sound,AK......the fishing will be to die for and the bears are all over. Bou in September north Ak on the haulroad........then back to Co in November for more muley/elk hunting 3rd season.

I will also apply for NM again for archery elk....pretty sad when it's only November and I am already counting the days to next season!
drool.gif

DS, you will have a great time up there. When I hunted S.E. Alaska a few years ago rubbing was a major problem and I was there in early/mid April. I swear some of them come out of the den rubbed. Please let me know what you see for bears at PWS and how badly they are or are not rubbed. Man, I wish I were going with you as I know exactly what I'll be missing. That Alaska is a magical place especially for bear hunters.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-13-2003 08:13: Message edited by: Big Sky ]</font>

Troy, Last year was the first in about 10 my group didn't see a shitload of bears. They go twice a year up there and the first and second week of June is what they have found to work the best for them.....but then again, PWS is as big as a small planet now isn't it
wink.gif
.....the mainstay is of course the fishing! They catch some huge as fish...and that alone is worth the airfare.

I'll give you a full report...
DS

Although expensive the airfare is cheap in regards to the experience Alaska hunting and fishing has to offer. I look forward to your report. Oh and btw, non of my bud's did any good in PWS last spring either. The weather sort'a screwed up everyone's hunt.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back