Archery backstop

mxracer317

Just getting into archery myself with my 10 year old son.

We have an unfinished basement with a somewhat large lane that we could use for draw and release practice.

I was thinking about getting a large rubber horse stable mat and hanging it from the floor joists by chain a few feet away from the concrete wall, giving it the ability to swing a little and absorb the impact.

I’m not really sure the proper way to hang something that heavy without the chains tearing through the rubber mat. Ideally, I would love to have a metal grommet put in so I could loop the chain through.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that? Have you done anything similar or do you have any better suggestions you could share?

So you would be shooting this or is it to prevent a miss from going into the wall?

I'd probably put a 2x4 bolted to each side of the mat and hang the whole setup from the joists. Probably from at least 3 joists but more would reduce load on individual locations

So you would be shooting this or is it to prevent a miss from going into the wall?

I'd probably put a 2x4 bolted to each side of the mat and hang the whole setup from the joists. Probably from at least 3 joists but more would reduce load on individual locations
Thanks for asking. To prevent missing the target bag.

I have stall mat hanging under my outside target overhang. Been there are few years with no issue. I drilled holes in it on the corners then put a quick link attached to a short chain each angled up to a joist.

We have an unfinished basement with a somewhat large lane that we could use for draw and release practice.

I was thinking about getting a large rubber horse stable mat and hanging it from the floor joists by chain a few feet away from the concrete wall, giving it the ability to swing a little and absorb the impact.

I’m not really sure the proper way to hang something that heavy without the chains tearing through the rubber mat. Ideally, I would love to have a metal grommet put in so I could loop the chain through.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that? Have you done anything similar or do you have any better suggestions you could share?
My buddy uses zip ties to hand his from a PVC frame he made.

I have the horse stall mat, and I did frame it up with some old 2x4s as it is so heavy/awkward. I have it in the backyard against the fence, so it needed the support since I lacked a good overhead hanging method. That thing will stop any arrow (so far) and the arrow only goes in about 2-4" depending on distance or poundage. When I practice with my recurve, I am really glad to have it because I am a garbage shot past 25 yards. It also sits outside year round, and zero wear/degradation.
If you are going to hang it, I would recommend a 2x4 across the top to give it some rigidity, and then hang it from the board with eye bolts and chain. You may need to 'sandwich' it between two boards, as it is one heavy SOB and can tear out wood screws.

I have stall mat hanging under my outside target overhang. Been there are few years with no issue. I drilled holes in it on the corners then put a quick link attached to a short chain each angled up to a joist.
Sounds like I’m trying to do. Would you be willing to add a picture?

Just poke a hole in it 3-4" off the edge, insert a bolt with fender washers, your chainlink then snug down the nut tight and it will last forever. Ive had one hanging outside off my fence for a few years like that.

Stall mat works great. Stopped every arrow I’ve ever sent it’s way- broadheads and field pts no problem.
It will leave a rubber residue but once you get dialed back in, hitting the intended target cleans them right up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back