Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

archery 551

redwards

the wife has drawn an archery tag in unit 551 in CO. I've been doing a bit of studying for the trip, and noticed there are a lot of motorcyle/atv trials in some good looking parts. does anybody know if these heavily used? we're typically off the rd typically 2-5 miles from the truck with boots on the ground, but noticed theyre arent many spots that are over 2+ miles from any trial judging by looking at gps maps in majority of the unit.

Hi redwards. I also am hunting archery in 551 and had the same concern. I asked a few of the mountain bike and fly fishing shops about the 551 area traffic and none seemed to think there would be much traffic in the area. However, I asked around Crested Butte, so that may not be the most knowledgeable or accurate. The mountain bike shop did say the trails were pretty intense in some areas, and that's the reason they didn't receive much mountain bike traffic. I'm not sure about the motorcycle traffic however....

You will see and here motor bikes on the weekends if you hunt near the trails. one of my hunting partners nearly got taken out by a motorbike as he walked down a trail in full camo.

Yeah, I'v hunted other units that had ATV/moto trails, and its never been an issue getting away from them. I've just noticed this unit has more than usual. i imagine once you get away it fine, but it's something thats been worrying me until i'm there

Had a friend drive through the area and send some pics, and everything is so green. Looking at weather history reports and noticed they(and pretty much the rest of the midwest) have received abnormally high rain totals so far this year compared to years past. We're getting excited.

Looking really nice. Driving out on Wednesday; I have an archery tag and bringing dad for cow ML. Probably the first/possibly last elk hunt for us together before he can't hike the mountains anymore.

Any advice on finding a cow for him would be appreciated. My goal is just to see an elk, and hopefully dad will also, but would be even more exciting seeing him get a cow on our trip together.

How did the traffic end up being out there? My buddy and I are heading out there this elk archery season for our first out of state hunt. I noticed the maps seem to show a lot of dirt bike trails. Seeing as we are from real low elevation (south western shores of Lake Ontaio in NY) and this is our first time in real mountains, our realistic goal is just to find elk in the week we have, but packing out a bull would definitely be a bonus to the trip!

How did the traffic end up being out there? My buddy and I are heading out there this elk archery season for our first out of state hunt. I noticed the maps seem to show a lot of dirt bike trails. Seeing as we are from real low elevation (south western shores of Lake Ontaio in NY) and this is our first time in real mountains, our realistic goal is just to find elk in the week we have, but packing out a bull would definitely be a bonus to the trip!
Welcome to HT.

Send me a PM .... I'll be up there this weekend and hunt each year. I can give you a little more insight.

Send me a PM .... I'll be up there this weekend and hunt each year. I can give you a little more insight.
Thanks. I'll send you a PM as soon as I have the ability too. I'm still too new to the forum to send PMs just yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back