Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Anyone using tarp tipis?

dcopas78

I am looking at various tarps tipis with stove jacks including kifaru, seek outside, and a few others to use for rifle elk season. I was just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for tipis with installed stove jacks. I hate to drop 600-800 on one, if there is an alternative that can save me money. I have also thought about getting a go-lite shangri-la 5 and a ti-goat stove jack to install myself (saw this on youtube). Has anyone tried this? I just like the idea of having a small packable stove for my dad and I, just in case we would get snowed in or something. I'm also looking for DIY stove builds if anyone has any videos or links they want to post. Weight is important, but it doesn't have to be sub 2 lbs or anything since dad and I can split the load. Thanks in advance.
Derek

Scope the classified and or the backcountry thread on 24hourcampfire as used ones show up periordically. IMO if you are in a tent sleeping on the ground there is nothing better than a tipi with a stove. If you are at all wet sitting in a dry, warm tent will stoke your morale in a hurry.

Kevin and Angie at Seek Outside are great people, I'm sure they guys at Kifaru are as well. Spending a little extra for folks like this go a long way in my book.

I used a SO lbo w/2 sided vest. last season and hated it. Not much useable space for its footprint, and it got hammered in heavy winds. I'm going to be selling it soon.

Kevin and Angie at Seek Outside are great people, I'm sure they guys at Kifaru are as well. Spending a little extra for folks like this go a long way in my book.

This is kinda what I'm thinking. Heck, don't know why I'm being so reluctant to drop the dime when I would easily spend that much on a lot of other items I buy for hunting and they aren't half as important as the shelter you choose. Thanks for the input.

I've purchased a few items from Seek Outside. It cost me some $$$ though each time I've used the items, I appreciate the value.

I have the large titanium stove and 9' pipe. Think total weight is 3 lbs. I have a DIY tent made of double wall rip stop UV and mold resistant, waterproof, fire retardant and effective breath-ability.
It is made as a 10x10 wall tent design though the weight came in at 12lbs. Good horsepack tent/stove setup though a bit much for backpacking. There is a thread somewhere here detailing the items, schematics and companies used to buy.
btw, installing a stove jack is a pretty simple task.

A thread by Sutton is floating around here as well with an awesome setup. I believe it is a shangri la w/ stove jack. Seems that would best fit what you are seeking. If I find the thread, I'll update this thread.

I looked into building a titanium stove... for the time and $$$ Seek Outside was a better option for myself. There is another thread floating around here for the schematics of a collapsible stove made of steel (again for horse / boat / car pack use) I was going to apply this with titanium though the craftsmanship and simplicity of Seek Outside stoves ruled that out.

I am personally not a fan of the round type titanium stoves... The square make a much more enjoyable heating table for that hot coffee... :)

Thanks Sytes, I appreciate it. I will do a little searching for those threads as well. I saw on ti-goat where you could buy the titanium sheet. I would just have to sit down and figure up what all of it would cost me to DIY a tipi and stove. The idea intrigues me. I guess that is why I like OYOA, I'm a DIY guy. Although, I have a feeling it would be about like fly tying. I've spent enough money on my fly tying stuff that I don't think I have ever saved a dime tying one!
Derek

I have the Kifaru Paratipi and small stove. It's a bomb proof shelter that bucks wind well and can keep you dry and comfy in the worst conditions, as long as you have fuel accessible.

It's 8 years old and still going strong. It'll be well used this fall on the goat hunt.

I havn't shopped the market, so there may be better products out there, but I have no complaints about it.

Floorless shelters are less good early season as bugs can be an issue. I also camped once in November in a spot that was thick with mice. Sleep was interrupted many times that cold night by mice running over my face. Didn't care for that.

Kifaru stands behind the product. A sheep hunting partner named Moosie kindly ripped the tent by shoving a stick through it and Kifaru repaired it, no problem.

Last edited:
i've got a Kifaru 6 man tipi and a Super Tarp for when I go solo.I'm very happy with both of them
Tim

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back