Caribou Gear Tarp

Anyone use a 45.70 for elk?

Rooselk

For several years my hunting rifle of choice has been a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 30.06 topped with a 2.5 x 8 Leupold scope. This gun has served me well for my elk and deer hunts.

However, this year I have decided to hunt the roosevelt elk which are native to the thick woods found on the west side of the Cascades. For this hunt I am seriously considering leaving my trusted Winchester behind in favor of an iron sighted 1895 Marlin Guide Gun in 45.70 (my ammo will probably be 420 grain Garrett +P's).

At any rate, I'm wondering if anyone else here is using a 45.70 and iron sights for elk? If so, I'm curious as to how you like it.

I know that gun would be fun to hunt rosies with, but I think you are better off with the 06. Reason, if you are stalking through, still hunting, and spot an elk at 90 yards, low light, you can put that scope up and find just the right spot and put the hurts on him.

I have carried my model 94 30-30 into the thick stuff after elk on wet and snowy days, mainly because I hate dealing with scopes in the rain and snow....so, if its wet, I'd encourage you to take the 45-70, if the forecast is dry, take the scope!!

Good Luck man, keep us posted,

Ernie

I certainly understand how iron sights can be a liability in low-light conditions. Worse yet, my Marlin still has the stock buckhorn sights on the gun. I've been thinking of puting an XS Sight Systems winged ghost ring sight on it. Even so, the low light will still be a problem. My thinking is that in on the west side of the Cascades in November one can usually count on that rain you mention.

Welcome to Hunt Talk Rooselk. Sometimes when I am going to be hunting nothing but the thick stuff, Iuse my Marlin 45/70 with open sights. Have not had the opportunity to shoot an elk with it yet, but one of these days i will.

Back