Anyone tried the Hornhunter Full Curl System for a multiday pack?

sacountry

I have to preface this by saying, I like my day pack to have lots of external pockets with one main compartment. I make the personal commitment to get all my gear in the pockets, leaving the main compartment empty when day hunting so I can carry a decent amount of meat out with me (if I'm so blessed). The Full Curl System from Hornhunter seems to fit that bill in spades. I like that it can expand to use for multi day trips and carry some meat if needed, all at a decent price. Looking for feedback from anyone that's used the entire system. At $359.99 MSRP it appears to be a great value. Am I missing something?

At $360 you’re only about $100 off the price of a new Mystery Ranch, or already at the price of a used Mystery Ranch. Forget the pockets and get a better quality pack. Just my opinion...

At $360 you’re only about $100 off the price of a new Mystery Ranch, or already at the price of a used Mystery Ranch. Forget the pockets and get a better quality pack. Just my opinion...
I haven't found any bad reviews on the Horn Hunter Full Curl on any website. I know MR and Stone Glacier are premium bags and the laughable gohunt pack test video tries to show this....but that's a reseller perspective. I'm sure dropping $500+ on a pack will afford some quality, but that's $200 I then don't have to spend on gear for my kids. Now if someone tells me that Horn Hunters are junk and that I'll be buying a new bag in a year then the value argument is negated.

I haven't found any bad reviews on the Horn Hunter Full Curl on any website. I know MR and Stone Glacier are premium bags and the laughable gohunt pack test video tries to show this....but that's a reseller perspective. I'm sure dropping $500+ on a pack will afford some quality, but that's $200 I then don't have to spend on gear for my kids. Now if someone tells me that Horn Hunters are junk and that I'll be buying a new bag in a year then the value argument is negated.
I’ve played around with one that a friend of a friend had, and for the price I wasn’t impressed, especially since a Pintler or Sawtooth is not even $100 more. If I wasn’t going to buy a MR, SG, Exo, Kifaru, etc I’d probably buy a good backpacking pack first. To each their own though, I’ve just suffered with some crappy packs and am a bit jaded as a result.

I've used it for backpacking for pleasure not hunting and yes it is fully capable. In comparison to other packs of similar cost it is very good. Compared to more expensive packs it is just as high quality but much heavier. The harness is also not quite as comfortable. I have used just the daypack and frame a good but but I'll take my pop up 28 any day because it's lighter and more comfortable. But I was plenty pleased with the horn hunter prior to that. Many will say save till you can afford a better pack but I get it. It's a good pack but heavy. They can also be found used pretty reguarly by guys upgrading.

I’ve played around with one that a friend of a friend had, and for the price I wasn’t impressed, especially since a Pintler or Sawtooth is not even $100 more. If I wasn’t going to buy a MR, SG, Exo, Kifaru, etc I’d probably buy a good backpacking pack first. To each their own though, I’ve just suffered with some crappy packs and am a bit jaded as a result.
I looked at the Pintler and the Sawtooth, but neither provides the volume for multi-day camping. The Metcalf, at 4400 cu in is really the starting point, but it's rifle scabbard is hookie (basically a water bottle holder plus one strap). Now for day hunting, I really like my Kifaru Gun Bearer attached to my current pack so a rifle scabbard on a pack is not needed.....but when I'm hiking in to backpack hunt camp, I want to secure my gun or my bow firmly to the pack. I really, really like the detachable "big bag" with this Horn Hunter because there are times when I may need to leave some gear behind while I haul out meat if I'm going in several miles on a multi day. I can stuff some of my gear in the big bag and hang it in a tree with my pack rain fly over it for water proofing then come back in a day or two later to retrieve it. That is super handy. Not sure why MR and Stone Glacier aren't thinking about stuff like that.

I looked at the Pintler and the Sawtooth, but neither provides the volume for multi-day camping. The Metcalf, at 4400 cu in is really the starting point, but it's rifle scabbard is hookie (basically a water bottle holder plus one strap). Now for day hunting, I really like my Kifaru Gun Bearer attached to my current pack so a rifle scabbard on a pack is not needed.....but when I'm hiking in to backpack hunt camp, I want to secure my gun or my bow firmly to the pack. I really, really like the detachable "big bag" with this Horn Hunter because there are times when I may need to leave some gear behind while I haul out meat if I'm going in several miles on a multi day. I can stuff some of my gear in the big bag and hang it in a tree with my pack rain fly over it for water proofing then come back in a day or two later to retrieve it. That is super handy. Not sure why MR and Stone Glacier aren't thinking about stuff like that.
Sounds like the Horn Hunter would work well for you.

I have one that I got last year, I got the frame and 2 attachment bags, plus a meat bag for $290 from optics planet. I went back and forth between it and a MR pop-up 28, and decided on the HH due to the major flexibility of the system and the fact that the popup28 was somewhat new and not a lot of reviews and was worried about being able put a real heavy load on it. I've put 130 lbs of tile and mortar on the HH with no problem functionally, and 112lbs with a whole doe in bone in pieces in the meat bag. Whether the popup handles that kind of weight well I do not know.

The weight is by far it's biggest downfall. The 9.2lbs is if you have all the bags on at once, which realistically you'd probably never do. But 5.7lbs just for the daypack frame is still pretty heavy. The harness system is the next down fall, could easily be way more comfortable with a slightly different design. That said though it is a well made pack with a lifetime guarantee, the weight comes from it being overbuilt in a lot of ways, way heavier fabric than needed, etc.

I do like all the storage options, seems like I have a good spot for everything I need. I set the frame up with everything essential that I never want to be without, and with the meat bag can use that for about any normal all day hunt I do. The small bag I have set up as an 1-3 day overnight bag for warm weather with a trekking pole tent, small sleeping bag, pad, spare layer, puffy coat and stove/freeze dried meals. I like that I can remove that bag and still have a meat shelf and never have to take that stuff out of the pack to shed weight for pack outs. Really could get away with that for as many days as needed, just put food in the meat bag. For cold weather my sleeping bag is too big so have to use the big attachment bag. You strap about anything on it and it works well for hauling tree stands and shed antlers.

If they were to shed some weight on it and give a new harness system I'd recommend it all day. As is, I'd recommend trying to find one to try on, and the same with an MR, because in the end the most important part of the pack is how it rides, and while the HH isn't the worst, an MR is like a Cadillac in comparison in my opinion. You might be more than happy with how the HH rides for the money, but I think it's worth it to try it next to the MR and see for yourself.

Hornhunter full Curl was the most uncomfortable pack I ever used. Heavy and awkward. Maybe they've changed in the last several years.

Wait for sales coming at the end of the year and you can get a better pack for about the same price. I got a brand new exo 3500 for $400 last year. Mystery ranch is always having sales

I have one that I got last year, I got the frame and 2 attachment bags, plus a meat bag for $290 from optics planet. I went back and forth between it and a MR pop-up 28, and decided on the HH due to the major flexibility of the system and the fact that the popup28 was somewhat new and not a lot of reviews and was worried about being able put a real heavy load on it. I've put 130 lbs of tile and mortar on the HH with no problem functionally, and 112lbs with a whole doe in bone in pieces in the meat bag. Whether the popup handles that kind of weight well I do not know.

The weight is by far it's biggest downfall. The 9.2lbs is if you have all the bags on at once, which realistically you'd probably never do. But 5.7lbs just for the daypack frame is still pretty heavy. The harness system is the next down fall, could easily be way more comfortable with a slightly different design. That said though it is a well made pack with a lifetime guarantee, the weight comes from it being overbuilt in a lot of ways, way heavier fabric than needed, etc.

I do like all the storage options, seems like I have a good spot for everything I need. I set the frame up with everything essential that I never want to be without, and with the meat bag can use that for about any normal all day hunt I do. The small bag I have set up as an 1-3 day overnight bag for warm weather with a trekking pole tent, small sleeping bag, pad, spare layer, puffy coat and stove/freeze dried meals. I like that I can remove that bag and still have a meat shelf and never have to take that stuff out of the pack to shed weight for pack outs. Really could get away with that for as many days as needed, just put food in the meat bag. For cold weather my sleeping bag is too big so have to use the big attachment bag. You strap about anything on it and it works well for hauling tree stands and shed antlers.

If they were to shed some weight on it and give a new harness system I'd recommend it all day. As is, I'd recommend trying to find one to try on, and the same with an MR, because in the end the most important part of the pack is how it rides, and while the HH isn't the worst, an MR is like a Cadillac in comparison in my opinion. You might be more than happy with how the HH rides for the money, but I think it's worth it to try it next to the MR and see for yourself.
Thanks, that was a solid piece of feedback. I was eyeing those weight numbers. What wasn't adding up for me was the Combo (frame and day pack) weighed 5.6 lbs. Not sure how the big bag could add so much weight to net more than 9 lbs. With their return policy, I decided to order it to check it out in person. Thanks everyone for all the opinions.

Thanks, that was a solid piece of feedback. I was eyeing those weight numbers. What wasn't adding up for me was the Combo (frame and day pack) weighed 5.6 lbs. Not sure how the big bag could add so much weight to net more than 9 lbs. With their return policy, I decided to order it to check it out in person. Thanks everyone for all the opinions.
I think that's a mistake, the frame is 5.7 and the small bag is 1.8 so 7.5 for the combo, and big bag is 1.7, so 9.2 if you had them all together, that was pretty close to what my scales said too.

So the Full Curl came in the mail today. It's the closest thing I've found to the perfect pack and yet I'm going to send it back. The modular design is exceptional. The construction is up to snuff with heavy zippers and beefy material. They just didn't put enough thought into the waist belt. Size wise, I'm as standard as they come. 6'0" 195 lbs. 35" waist. The waist belt needs another 3" of waistband on both sides to comfortably disperse weight across the entirety of my hips. Even with the pack empty, you can feel that it's not going to feel great with weight in it.

This pack was sooooooo close to perfect, but fitment is so critical to proper load carrying that I have to return it even though I hate to. The guys at MR and Stone Glacier should pay attention to this pack's modular design and use their knowledge of backpack to fit. Or Hornhunter should go back to the drawing board on fitting. Whoever would take that step would make a killing in the back pack world, in my humble opinion.

As for me, I'm back to using my old 4000 cu in Kelty external frame pack which carries two elk shoulders or a rear quarter and tenderloins super comfortably. It's just not optimal for extended backpack hunting trips.

So the Full Curl came in the mail today. It's the closest thing I've found to the perfect pack and yet I'm going to send it back. The modular design is exceptional. The construction is up to snuff with heavy zippers and beefy material. They just didn't put enough thought into the waist belt. Size wise, I'm as standard as they come. 6'0" 195 lbs. 35" waist. The waist belt needs another 3" of waistband on both sides to comfortably disperse weight across the entirety of my hips. Even with the pack empty, you can feel that it's not going to feel great with weight in it.

This pack was sooooooo close to perfect, but fitment is so critical to proper load carrying that I have to return it even though I hate to. The guys at MR and Stone Glacier should pay attention to this pack's modular design and use their knowledge of backpack to fit. Or Hornhunter should go back to the drawing board on fitting. Whoever would take that step would make a killing in the back pack world, in my humble opinion.

As for me, I'm back to using my old 4000 cu in Kelty external frame pack which carries two elk shoulders or a rear quarter and tenderloins super comfortably. It's just not optimal for extended backpack hunting trips.

One thing to consider is that I think it's Kifaru hip belts that will fit on it, if the belt is your main problem that could be a solution. I agree about the belt and the shoulder straps, they look wide but they aren't, I ended up cutting the belt open and removing a layer of foam to reduce the bulk.

One thing to consider is that I think it's Kifaru hip belts that will fit on it, if the belt is your main problem that could be a solution. I agree about the belt and the shoulder straps, they look wide but they aren't, I ended up cutting the belt open and removing a layer of foam to reduce the bulk.
Get this. I called Hornhunter today to let them know that I needed to return the pack for fit reasons. I was provided the cell phone number of the owner. Didn't talk about returning the product he just asked what he could do to make a better pack for me. I said I needed another 6"-8" added to the waist belt. Again, I'm a pretty standard COVID 36" waist. He just said which one do you want, 6" or 8". I decided 8". We then talked about the pockets and where I wanted those relative to the belt. I asked to keep them forward on the belt so I could have easier access. He said sounds good. After the call, I took a few pics of the pack on my back with my cell, sent them to his cell so he could see what I was talked about. Done like dinner. I would have never expected that kind of customer service in the world that we live in today. Pretty amazing.

Get this. I called Hornhunter today to let them know that I needed to return the pack for fit reasons. I was provided the cell phone number of the owner. Didn't talk about returning the product he just asked what he could do to make a better pack for me. I said I needed another 6"-8" added to the waist belt. Again, I'm a pretty standard COVID 36" waist. He just said which one do you want, 6" or 8". I decided 8". We then talked about the pockets and where I wanted those relative to the belt. I asked to keep them forward on the belt so I could have easier access. He said sounds good. After the call, I took a few pics of the pack on my back with my cell, sent them to his cell so he could see what I was talked about. Done like dinner. I would have never expected that kind of customer service in the world that we live in today. Pretty amazing.
It’s hard to find customer service like that. Props to them.

That is an amazing story. Makes them worthy of a second look. Thanks.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back