Anyone tried electronic "in-ear" hearing protection?

Muskeez

Wondering if anyone has tried the devices that go in your ear instead of over them. Foam type plugs work OK, but wondering about the type that let you hear normal sounds, maybe even enhance them, but protect hearing over a certain db reading. My daughter does a fair amount of waterfowl hunting. She can't wear the muff style because she cant get her face down on the stock well. The foam insert types keep her from hearing the chatter in the field from the other hunters and enjoying the good sounds of wingbeats and bird sounds. I saw them on camofire today and that reminded me that I wanted to look into getting some before this fall.

My husband has used a couple types. He started out with Etymotics, which worked ok but he said the wind noise made them nearly unusable. He then got a pair custom molded at the outdoor show. They fit farther down in the ear, less wind noise and he likes those very well. Spendy, but probably worth it.

I have the same problem with over-ear styles- I can’t mount the gun with those on my head. I’m cheap so just wear some of those plastic ones with the 3 “skirts”. I wear those at the range and while bird hunting. I can still hear birds get up and normal conversation if we’re close, but the shooting doesn’t bother me.

I use a pair of inside-the-ear made by Sound Gear. Google them and see. The inner ear version comes in two types, hunter and industrial. Both protect and amplify, the industrial amplifies more than the hunter (i think). I use the one with higher amplification as I’m hard of hearing. At the range i can carry a conversation with ease, but admittedly, the AR rifles kill me, so so loud. They come with little rubber cups in different sizes for comfort in your ear canal. But they are pricey! Silver lining though, Sound Gear will do 50% off if you are or were military, if you order them directly from them. And they guarantee satisfaction so they’re definitely worth a try. They have another version thats electronic AND molded to your ear, but they’re even more expensive. Truthfully i think the molded ones would be better if you can afford them. PM me if you have questions.
Pete

In ear electronic plugs are the 2nd most important item in my duck blind besides my gun. They work fantastic and you can turn them up and hear far off geese if you so choose ha

I use a Walker Game Ear in my best ear and plug the other one. You can control the volume and frequency on them, and seem to do an adequate job. I don't recall what db level they clip at but Google should know.

Have used a variety over the years - I love them. I originally start using for pheasant hunting as I didn't want to go without ear protection, but hated losing the sounds of rooster cackles. Currently I am using the custom fitted SoundGear and my son is using the "uni-sized" sleeve model. Both work well.

I just started using a pair of Grizzly Ears, ~$200, they do bluetooth and amplification. So far so good chasinng prarie dogs and at the range.

I have an expensive custom molded pair and I love them. They are considered hearing aids by my health insurance company as I have a slight dip in my left ear's frequency detection. My policy covered the cost as an allowable expense, reusable every 3 years. Well worthorth checking with your insurance IMO.

I just started using 3M Peltor electronic ear buds. They are green with ear cups in different sizes. So far they are ok. The cold(-15°f) hasn't affected battery life to a noticeable degree. Normal conversation is understandable but I work in a noisy place. At home in the garage I could understand my wife fine. I havent checked with shooting yet. Wind noise hasn't been a problem.

Attachments

• 20200120_113749.jpg
    20200120_113749.jpg
    980.2 KB · Views: 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back