Anyone made the switch from a compound to crossbow?

I had to go to X bow a few years back due to all the issues mentioned! Miss my verticals but love to hunt so the crossbow it is. Bought the Mission Sub1 that could be de-cocked without shooting. Walking around with it is not great and no longer still hunt during bow. Stand hunting is it and a shooting rail is helpful. Use a 2 leg adjustable sticks when setting up on the ground.

Where I live and hunt (specifically, whitetails), Crossbows are legal for archery season:
(1) With a medical exemption
(2) By meeting a minimum age requirement

I qualified on both counts when I bought an inexpensive crossbow to use from a blind. Being in a blind allowed for some less noticeable movement and using a crossbow was effective. It also affords easier introduction to hunting for some new hunters (young, GFs, uninitiated, etc.), so we've used it in various LEGAL situations.

I have a compound bow and prefer that hunting experience as long as my health allows, however, I have no issue with using a crossbow when it gets me (and others) into the field to hunt. Crossbows are not legal during archery season in every state, so check your regs before you buy.

Last edited:
Have been shooting crossbows since they became legal in Michigan back in 2009 and haven't looked back. Killed my first buck with a recurve bow back in 1980...on public land from the ground in a natural blind that I made. Have probably killed over a hundred deer with vertical bows, so I know a little bit about them also. Here is my current trio:
IMG_20220829_171547660~2.jpgIMG_20220904_131905~2.jpg

Last edited:
An unhealed elbow injury ruined my bow hunting until crossbows became legal. This young meat doe never knew what hit her. My crossbow is an older Ten Point purchased second hand for a very fair price. - TR

DEC doe.JPG

Last edited:
Back