Anyone have experience with Christensen Rifles?

Madman

I saw the Carbon Fiber (and light) Christensen rifle. They weight surprised me, but it seems to me the recoil would be killer on the larger magnums. Anyone have any experience with these rifles? Is there a special recoil management system other than the muzzle brake that I am unaware of?

I appreciate the input.

They don't add recoil reducers unless you special order them. Recoil reducers can be added, but they add weight. A muzzle brake is the main recoil management device, other than your shoulder.

It really depends on the cartridge choice, though. There isn't any free lunch with a light weight rifle. Muzzle brake or not, they can kick a bit in the bigger cartridges. Bigger IMHO is .338 Win Mag, .300 RUM and up. I handle recoil fine, but I shoot .416 and .458 rifles fairly often (they are fun). I built a .300 RUM for a friend that weighs in at 8.5lbs scoped and loaded. It is braked, but it is a bit much for him. His other rifle is a factory Remington that weighs in at close to 11lbs scoped and loaded. Good muzzle brakes on both rifles. When I built and shot his new lightweight rifle, I thought it was a pussycat. He is OK with it, but would rather it kicked less and I will put a different recoil pad on it to help. Recoil is very subjective. Of course, he packed it around in Wyoming for elk, and didn't mind the lighter weight.

Seriously though, how many shots do you take in the field, and how many times did you think, boy that kicked? Shoot with a past pad or lead sled on the bench and work into the recoil off the bench. After a few miles, a lighter rifle is nice to have. I like a rifle that is light, easy to carry, and accurate. The rest is up to me. It isn't a varmint rifle that you are putting lots of rounds through in one session.

Jeremy

It's more the bench shooting application than anything else. For all the Deer and Elk I've taken in the field, I have never noticed the recoil. But zeroing a new rifle on the bench,....another topic. I know I develop a flinch after too long on the table, and as my normal caliber is 300 Win Mag, I don't want to add any bad habits.

For the price and weight, there are other options/makers that I would probably lean to first.

If I'm dropping big money to buy carbon, I'm calling Proof Research. mtmuley

I agree with this. I don't/won't own either one, as to me, they are way over-priced. That being said, I know of one Christensen that would fire when the bolt was closed and it was factory fresh. Luckily, it was discovered before a round was added to the mix. It was probably a fluke, but it only takes one time like that in the wrong circumstance to make things real bad. That says bad quality control to me.

Had a buddy just bought two and sold both within a month he hated them said he expected more out of a rifle for accuracy for that price. Think he ended up with a new nosler and loves it.

I have one and it shoots lights out. Recoil is ridiculously light considering the rifle ways next to nothing. I don't know if there's really any magic in the carbon fiber barrels for hunting applications, but they get marketed very well. I know a few other Christensen owners whose rifles all seem to shoot well with no issues.

I agree the recoil is subjective and things like how the gun fits you can make a big difference. I've sat and shot the same calibers and ammo through different guns and noticed felt recoil to be completely different even though they're basically being fed the same ammo. Sometimes the heavier guns have more felt recoil for me.

Carbon fiber wrapped barrels can be better on an ultralight provided they make the barrel more rigid. Comparing a barrel of the same length and weight, the wrapped barrel should be easier to get to shoot. Same concept as comparing fluted to non-fluted barrels. A 3lb fluted barrel is stiffer than a 3lb unfluted barrel of the same length. That said, other factors will influence the outcome.

As for recoil reduction, that is highly dependent on the muzzle brake design and stock design. Tests have shown most brakes provide at least 25% reduction, but some brakes get near 50% recoil reduction. Precision Rifle Blog did a pretty extensive test. Stock design and how a stock fits the shooter can make or break the deal.

Back to the original question. I talked with a few guys that I know who handle a lot of rifles. Their opinion is that the Christensen rifles were top notch a few years ago, and as they have become more mass produced, the details have slipped. They aren't as slick, or well finished (sharp edges, no lapping of the bolt lugs or raceway, etc.) as they originally were. For my money, I would get a new manufacture Winchester M70 and put the money difference into tuning that rifle up.

Jeremy

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back