Anyone have any stories about Wyoming Unit 30?

Ostrander_Hunter

Weeding through possibilities for a rifle antelope hunt. I only have one pref point, so my choices are limited. Not looking for a monster, but just a decent buck for my bucket list. Wondering how Unit 30 has been for folks.

Lots of private in the flats along I25, but there are some public (state mostly) areas you can get to in that area. There are a couple Hunter Management Areas, but they have a limited in number of permission slips and you may not draw. I always see a truck or two at the various spots to park in the walk-in areas - so get there first. I'm sure it can be done though. Drive south on Box Elder Road and you'll see more antelope than you can count in the private cultivated fields.

In my experience Unit 30 has a lot of pronghorns - on private land. It is an easy drive from Casper so whatever limited public land gets pressure. It might be OK late in the season when the oilfield guys turn their attention to deer and elk.

I hunted turkeys there once and left my lunch under a tree. I was so bummed because it was a peanut butter and orange marmalade sandwich. Some bear got a nice snack, I'm sure. That's one of many stories I have about antelope area 30.

So based on the responses, the antelope are there. Just may be difficult in getting onto the ground where they're at. I did see there were a couple HMA's and a WIA. Sounds like private ground is the ticket if you can get on it.

I hunted turkeys there once and left my lunch under a tree. I was so bummed because it was a peanut butter and orange marmalade sandwich. Some bear got a nice snack, I'm sure. That's one of many stories I have about antelope area 30.

mmmm peanut butter and orange marmalade??? Never even thought of that before but now I want it.

"I once knew a guy who drove to Area 30 in Wyoming in search of a misplaced peanut butter and orange marmalade sandwich or the bear who supposedly took said sandwich." Call him crazy? Readers choice but I think not.

So here's the full scoop. I contacted an outfitter in 2018 for a 2020 rifle antelope hunt. Outfitter had great reviews on bowsite. Contacted multiple times (3-4 emails, a couple phone calls). He called me in November of 2018 and said to call back in November of 2019. Well, a couple more voicemails and a few more emails and I've heard nothing. So I contacted some other outfitters and haven't gotten anything promising. Some say "call me if you draw a tag". Others are in areas where it appears I can't draw a tag with only 1 pref point. It's a little odd for me. I'm used to booking my hunts a year or two in advance. Making me nervous. I'll be retiring in a few years, and my out of state hunt will end. Bucket list would need to be complete then. Black bear (4th try) is reserved for 2021. Just wanting to get a decent antelope hunt before my hunting career is over. At 62, I'm still willing to do this on my own. Just wanting to get a better understanding of Unit 30 since it appears I can get in there with a single pref point. Just wanted to make sure there are antelope in the area. Hoping if I do go there, I can get a permit to one of the HMA's. Not wanting to steal anyone's hunting spot.

There will be plenty of antelope in Unit 30 and you could do it on your own. I recommend you have OnX if you end up hunting 30 by yourself.

If you’re going with an outfitter that has access to private land, that probably changes the game from what I see on the maps. I have no first hand knowledge hunting in the unit.

I did drive through there in the dark on I25 in 2002.

So here's the full scoop. I contacted an outfitter in 2018 for a 2020 rifle antelope hunt. Outfitter had great reviews on bowsite. Contacted multiple times (3-4 emails, a couple phone calls). He called me in November of 2018 and said to call back in November of 2019. Well, a couple more voicemails and a few more emails and I've heard nothing. So I contacted some other outfitters and haven't gotten anything promising. Some say "call me if you draw a tag". Others are in areas where it appears I can't draw a tag with only 1 pref point. It's a little odd for me. I'm used to booking my hunts a year or two in advance. Making me nervous. I'll be retiring in a few years, and my out of state hunt will end. Bucket list would need to be complete then. Black bear (4th try) is reserved for 2021. Just wanting to get a decent antelope hunt before my hunting career is over. At 62, I'm still willing to do this on my own. Just wanting to get a better understanding of Unit 30 since it appears I can get in there with a single pref point. Just wanted to make sure there are antelope in the area. Hoping if I do go there, I can get a permit to one of the HMA's. Not wanting to steal anyone's hunting spot.

Go to unit 23 with a camper and sit the public spots the entire season and you’ll bag an antelope it might not be a good one but you get one unless you are sleeping when they graze by.

There are antelope on public land in 30. You might even find some on NF land along Esterbrook Road.

Yeah, we ran in to a game warden there once when we bought unit 30 tags as leftovers. She laughed at us when we told her we were hunting pronghorn on public land there.

Im sure private thru an outfitter would be great. Lots of antelope outfitters in WY on private in 0-1point units.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back