Caribou Gear Tarp

Anyone ever recover a high hit?

I don’t know how high you shot your antelope but,
1. That bull is definitely hit above the spine.
2. At the juncture of neck and shoulders the spine dips very low, probably at least a third of the way down from the back line.
3. I am not saying that a high one lung hit isn’t possible to survive, but every time I have hit high and recovered an animal it has been a short recovery with massive blood loss. Not always a good blood trail because of the high wound location, but accompanied by massive internal bleeding.

My automatic assessment when I hear
“I shot just below the spine” is backstrap shot.
Nah ah

Hit an antelope high in no mans land one year during bow season. Brother in law shot it a month later 300 yards from where I shot him during bow season. He was healthy looking and it wasn’t effecting him at all

Yep. Rushed a shot on a big whitetail a few years ago. Hit him there. Didn't see him for a few weeks then he was back chasing does. Next 2 years had him on camera with a nice scar but healthy. He was a monster but was completely nocturnal after that.

no dice :(
Hunting is hard...

I was able to follow small specs of blood for approximately 400yds at which point she headed downhill into a ravine.
I walked the ravine a couple hundred more yards down to the creek bottom then searched up and down the creek a little ways in each direction.

So she either climbed out of the ravine or walked damn near 1000yds so I don’t think I’m gonna find her.

@OntarioHunter
I’m not 100% sure but I think the stuff that looks like foam in the pics is actually just tallow or flesh from the wound.
I could be wrong.

I hope she’s ok.
so frustrating.

View attachment 167835
View attachment 167836
Sorry man. I know the feeling.

giphy.gif

no dice :(
Hunting is hard...

I was able to follow small specs of blood for approximately 400yds at which point she headed downhill into a ravine.
I walked the ravine a couple hundred more yards down to the creek bottom then searched up and down the creek a little ways in each direction.

So she either climbed out of the ravine or walked damn near 1000yds so I don’t think I’m gonna find her.

@OntarioHunter
I’m not 100% sure but I think the stuff that looks like foam in the pics is actually just tallow or flesh from the wound.
I could be wrong.

I hope she’s ok.
so frustrating.

View attachment 167835
View attachment 167836
I know people do but I’ve never recovered a dead animal past 200 yards, I mostly gun hunt, but the animals taken with a bow I’ve seen were all pretty short recoveries.

At 400 yards my stomach definitely sinks.

Killed this elk with a rifle during first season in CO.

View attachment 167834

I also shot a pronghorn with a muzzy, she dropped got up and ran. She was covered in blood just back from the front shoulder a couple inches down from the spine. We followed her for six miles without a chance at a follow up over a period of a couple hours. She was easy to pick out covered in blood.

I’m just saying you can hit under the spine and not have the hit be lethal.
Did you lose much backstrap?

Agreed wllm, after 200 I start to get twitchy too. However, our group has found quite a few bow kills that have went farther. I found x2 of my own that went 500-600 yards. Consecutive years, same tree and they were both standing in the exact same spot when I shot then (right below me). Shot straight down and didn’t get a pass through on either. Found the first one after several hours of tracking pin-sized blood spots.

Same deal with the second one, but we lost blood and were heading back to the road. I had marked in my gps where I found the deer the year prior, and just thought what the hell, may as well swing by. As I approached the spot I saw a spot of white, and there he was- 10 feet from where I found the deer the year before. Just dumb luck, but strange how it all went down.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back